Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Easy FTP with vsftpd

Beans

Re: Howto: Easy FTP with vsftpd

Quote Originally Posted by ralph1973 View Post
    Hello, thanks for your efforts writing this tutorial. I stuck at certain moment: sudo apt-get install libdb3-util
    This package isn't available in Hardy LTS. Libdb4 has been installed, but there is no /usr/bin/db* executable. How can I solve this?
    Thanks and regards,
    Ralph
    Try this ...

sudo apt-get install db4.3-util

then ...

sudo db4.3_load etc instead of db3_load

Beans

devill, I have the same problem with the chmod 600 and not being able to download. I have come up with a workaround for it. Use the anon_world_readable_only=NO instruction to allow all files to be readable.

I prefer changing the 600 permissions to 660 but this worked for the moment.

Tony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This download is for Intel x86 processor Ubuntu computers.

if you wish to use the db3_load you have to download and run the sudo dpkg -i package-name.deb command.

First - go to and download, http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/i386/libdb3/download

go to the directory where the new file is residing and run sudo dpkg -i libdb3_3.2.9-23_i386.deb.

Follow the on screen instructions. This should install the necessary library files for the next step.

Send - go to and download, http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/i3...-util/download

go to the directory where the new file is residing and run sudo dpkg -i libdb3-util_3.2.9-23_i386.deb

Follow the on screen instructions. If everything went okay, you now have db3_load.

Note: Other machine types/versions exist that may suit your needs at http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libdb3

The above link will provide you a more detailed list and selection of which package types to install.
    Last edited by LiQuidAiR; April 26th, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
    My Ubuntu ran hosting
    Josh Design - Web Hosting

Beans

Working with Ubuntu and vsftpd for the first time. Found it easy to configure with system users but that doesn't sound like a secure method. Our users and clients will share the same username and password to access a common directory. Tried setting up a single virtual user but get access denied errors when connecting. Didn't setup TLS/SSL/FTPS because I had problems getting it to work with IE and Windows Explorer. Looking for a secure and easy way to setup users. Please let me know what other information would be useful. Have a deadline of May 1st.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been trying to get vsftpd to work and this is what I've run into... I can access the folder I've setup using FileZilla but when I try to download a file, this is the error I get:
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode.
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (XX,XXX,XXX,XX,XXX,XX - this is my server IP address)
    Command: RETR myfile
    Response: 550 Failed to open file.
    Error: Critical error
    I used chown to assure the download folder is owned by the user but still no luck. Any suggestions?
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans

I was able to get vsftp working. The following document helped in addition to this thread.
    http://linuxforfun.net/2008/04/05/vsftpd-virtual-users/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks! I'll try that later today...
    "There are 10 types of people: Those who read binary and those who don't"
    >>>"who is general failure and why is he reading my files"<<<
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 22367
    Howto automount NTFS - My wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am still very new. I am trying to set up Ubuntu 9.04 server. I'm stuck at step 1. I do sudo apt-get install vsftpd and it gives error message "Couldn't find package vsftpd". Perhaps there is already another ftp package? Perhaps already installed? All I am trying to do is make it possible for me to get a file from my MacBook onto my server using ftp. I am clueless how to get files to and from my server as of yet. I am committed to learning terminal-only administration! I am also up for hekp setting up samba. I have bought a few ubuntu books but it is slow to digest.

Appended:

Was able to use scp command to do local transfers to/from my MacBook. Still want to setup ftp though.

Local transfer syntax:
    ktritty@macbook$ scp /path/filename serveruser@ip.address.of.server:/outputpath/filename

This works great; must have ssh services active and proper ssh port open
    Last edited by ktritty; May 9th, 2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Found alternate for LAN transfers only; still seek ftp solution.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. I checked resolv.conf and I can ping by name, so DNS resolution isn't the issue. Any suggestions? I'm relatively new to this, trying to set up server for the first time.

Thanks,
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Most of the serious issues will be because there is something wrong with the vsftpd.conf file and firewall tunneling. Tunneling simply means, telling the router to let certain ports cross thru or bypass the firewall. Heck, most routers are even firewalls, they simple hide private addresses from public, but, that's a different story.

ktritty, how did you install Ubuntu Server? Is it actually on a physical hard drive with dedicated components like motherboard and network card, or is it running with VMWare software?

jmeggers, please post your config file and tell me what type of network setup you have. DNS shouldn't be the problem. If you have an IP address to your system you should be able to use that.

I personally ran into several differences in each how to or tutorial I read. In fact, I haven't found one that actual worked the way they said it should. This one included. I figured mine out by using the trial by error method. Sucks
    Last edited by LiQuidAiR; May 11th, 2009 at 03:03 AM.
    My Ubuntu ran hosting
    Josh Design - Web Hosting

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast