Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Welcome!

I guess I'm sort of a Johnny come lately as I didn;t even know this forum existed until an email popped up this evening on the ACLUG list I'm still subscribed to.

I'm Nate in Marysville, KS, a.k.a. N0NB for the radio amateurs amongst us. I started with Slackware in Sept '96 and switched to it full time in January 1998--literally weeks before the Netscape announcement. That was even long before there was a Ubuntu, in fact, it was before the first big Debian spin-off--Corel Linux.

Anyway, Debian became my distro of choice in September of '99 and essentially remains so as I've not strayed from Debian or its derivatives, except for some time spent playing with Slackware on and off, since.

My first real use of Ubuntu was installing Mythbuntu 8.04 almost two years ago. That system is a rock and just keeps ticking along. I'm almost afraid to upgrade it!

I'd played with Kubuntu a bit but shied away from GNOME until late February when I gave Linux Mint 8 a spin and was thoroughly enamored. Noting its roots lay in Ubuntu 9.10 I decided to give Lucid 10.04 an honest try early this month and it is now my primary installation on my laptop. My main desktop is still Debian Sid with KDE 4.4.3 and will likely remain so.

There are a few of us Linux users around these parts and I try to introduce it as it makes sense to do so.
    Mythbuntu rocks!

Beans

Hi,

My name is Bob, I'm 34 and I live in Salina.

nick is Balthazar on IRC
    therealbobbaird@Twitter

My first exposure to Linux was in the form of the Android mobile OS, I got a Motorola Droid for Christmas last year and pretty quickly rooted it and began playing with custom ROMs. I have also done a little bit of theming since then. I like to know how things work, so I started learning about the underpinnings of Android and the Linux file structure and got interested in Linux as an alternative to Windows and Apple.

I have never actually bought a new computer, I always wind up with a relative's hand-me-down for some reason. So around the time I was becoming familiar with Linux I started having problems with my desktop. It had 512 GB of RAM and a 20 GB hard drive. It was slowing to an unbearable speed so I added 1 GB of memory, a 500 GB hard drive and started trying to decide if I wanted to reinstall Windows or try a Linux distro. I did some research and really like the philosophy behind Ubuntu and the realative ease of use for newbs. I left my 20 GB hdd and all of my windows files in my PC and installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the new hdd. I am now dual-booted, but since I convinced my wife she could use Ubuntu too we haven't booted back into windows since.

I am enthusiastic about learning something new and look forward to getting involved where I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Welcome!

Hello to all. My name is Aaron, and I have been using Linux for about two years now. Vista drove me to it!!

I live in Wichita, although I have just moved here a few months ago, after retiring from the Marine Corps. I grew up in South Dakota, and spent the majority of the last 20 years in NC, with the exception of a few overseas deployments, and an awful recruiting duty tour.

I also like building plastic models and reading. My goal right now is to build a model of all aircraft the US Marine Corps has used, major versions only.

OOHRAH!!
    "Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen

Registered Linux User #495248 / Registered Ubuntu User #28596

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Name: Will Weeks

My Ubuntu story has been trying to install it all the machines I own and usually failing. I'm about to convert my iBook and iPaq over to Ubuntu 10.10. Wish me luck.
    @thewillweeks
    Linux User #531848 and Ubuntu User #33336
    My Personal Blog (not active)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello everyone I have been using Ubuntu for about a year off and on, waiting for my own computer for a full install. I am 18 years old, graduating high school in May and going to the University of Oklahoma to major in computer science! I currently live in Shawnee and Basehor, Kansas!

Beans

Smile Re: Welcome!

Hello Everyone!
    I`m Ravi. Hope everyone of you is still as excited about Linux as you were until a few months ago (Not seeing a lot of activity in the Kansas Forum).

I have recently gotten on to the Ubuntu bandwagon by wiping clean my Win 7 and installing a 12.04 LTE! Alhough, this is not my first encounter with Ubuntu. (used 9.something for a few years ago)

Every since I got 11.10 a month ago, I have been quite excited about learning a lot of Unix and Linux and "getting the OS work for you".

I really wish some more senior members in/around Kansas led this section of the Forum by sharing more information or start posting challenging projects that we could all work on.

Regards,
    Ravi
    Overland Park!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ravinfy View Post
    Hello Everyone!
    I`m Ravi. Hope everyone of you is still as excited about Linux as you were until a few months ago (Not seeing a lot of activity in the Kansas Forum).

I have recently gotten on to the Ubuntu bandwagon by wiping clean my Win 7 and installing a 12.04 LTE! Alhough, this is not my first encounter with Ubuntu. (used 9.something for a few years ago)

Every since I got 11.10 a month ago, I have been quite excited about learning a lot of Unix and Linux and "getting the OS work for you".

I really wish some more senior members in/around Kansas led this section of the Forum by sharing more information or start posting challenging projects that we could all work on.

Regards,
    Ravi
    Overland Park!!
    Ravi,

I am somewhat from the area, Shawnee to be exact, I am trying to get more activity in this forum; could you provide a little more information about yourself? I am currently attending the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma; however I will be returning home this May until August, so if you want to get this thing going before then maybe we could get some meetings or something set up!

All the best,

Cody

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Ravi,

could you provide a little more information about yourself?
    Good deal, Cody!
    (Sorry, I hadn`t subscribed to this post and didn`t notice your response all this while..)

I haven only been here (Kansas) for abt a year now.. working in an IT firm in downtown.. ! I have 5 yrs of IT experience but none with Linux or Ubuntu or even Unix. Having wiped my laptop clean of Windows 7, I am experimenting a lot with Ubuntu now a days and love it so far... been wanting to dig into a bit of coding and write a few good programs to help the community!

how good are you with Linux?
    Do you have any 'small assignments' that we can get started with?

(I really hope we have just a few others to get this momentum going.. come on folks! )

Ravi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ravinfy View Post
    Good deal, Cody!
    (Sorry, I hadn`t subscribed to this post and didn`t notice your response all this while..)

I haven only been here (Kansas) for abt a year now.. working in an IT firm in downtown.. ! I have 5 yrs of IT experience but none with Linux or Ubuntu or even Unix. Having wiped my laptop clean of Windows 7, I am experimenting a lot with Ubuntu now a days and love it so far... been wanting to dig into a bit of coding and write a few good programs to help the community!

how good are you with Linux?
    Do you have any 'small assignments' that we can get started with?

(I really hope we have just a few others to get this momentum going.. come on folks! )

Ravi
    I don't know a whole lot, I am currently in school studying Computer Science at the University of Oklahoma and will be home for the summer here in about 4 weeks. I too hope we can get some more people, it would be a lot of fun! As for small projects I don't know of any, although we can check on the Bug list and see if we can tackle something!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345