Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Welcome!

it's good to see some active on here... welcome all new comers!

Beans

Talking Re: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaRL View Post
    What you're talking about is installing using wubi. That doesn't need any partitioning, and in fact I don't believe it can use it. You'll probably want to put the disk space back to Windows if you're wanting to do wubi. I've never used wubi myself, since I had gone single boot ubuntu since before it came out, but I've got some links for you:

http://wubi-installer.org/
    http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234
    That last one is the wubi forum on Ubuntu Forums. They should be able to help if you have any issues.

If (or, hopefully when) you decide to install it to the hard drive proper, I'll be happy to help more. You should consider it, it is faster and safer. Plus, if you ever get malware in Windows, it can affect your wubi install to a degree.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

P.S. Another second shifter I see. I work at 1500 and am off around 2300. But then again, I have very little commute.
    Joshua RL,

thanks for the inf I am using VirtualMachine not wubi but I will look at it any way.

The only reason I haven't gon head first is my wireless. D-Link DWL G120 not nice for ubuntu. Was happy to see someone close that I could go and get hands on learning!!

Maybe if I am going to parents house I could arrange a meeting with you. Parents live in KCKS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by moore.davidv11 View Post
    Joshua RL,

thanks for the inf I am using VirtualMachine not wubi but I will look at it any way.

The only reason I haven't gon head first is my wireless. D-Link DWL G120 not nice for ubuntu. Was happy to see someone close that I could go and get hands on learning!!

Maybe if I am going to parents house I could arrange a meeting with you. Parents live in KCKS.
    David,

You have another possibility if Joshua can't meet with you when you're in K.C., KS. I live in Mission, about a mile south of I-35's Lamar Ave. interchange. Send a private message if you want further info.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans

Hi from Lenexa. My name is Nick and I work for Surewest, a phone/cable/ISP, just wanted to check out what kind of activity was going on in the Ubuntu world around me.

Beans

Hi Nick

Welcome to Ubuntu forums. Glad to see you dropped by.

There are a number of LUGS in the area, notably in your area, KCLUG. Several of their members are Ubuntu users.

Dale

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by imahussey View Post
    Hi from Lenexa. My name is Nick and I work for Surewest, a phone/cable/ISP, just wanted to check out what kind of activity was going on in the Ubuntu world around me.
    KCLUG meets twice a month at the K.C., MO Pub. Library downtown. There's also a website, forum and a listserv type (not majordomo) service available. Take your laptop and cat5 cable. The guy who used to bring the 24 port ethernet switch died in October, but surely somebody's picked up the torch. When I go I try to bring at least an 8 port. Library has at least an 18 Mb/sec connection (according to speedtest.net).

www.kclug.org

So when is Surewest getting to Mission? My daughter has your service in O.P. and she's been satisfied. I've been waiting here east of Metcalf and north S.M. Pkwy for years. Not impressed with TWCKC and AT&T ADSL could be more reliable.
    Last edited by djchandler; December 18th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans

Hello, all!

Name: Lyle

I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04, and currently have a duel boot of 10.04 and Vista on my laptop. Main desktop machine is pure Ubuntu.

Beans

Lyle,

Great to hear you are in the area. You might consider joining NCKLUG at www.ncklug.org. NCKLUG is in your area and provides user support. They are also a big promoter of Ubuntu in the area. We'd love to have you for a meeting or two.

Dale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I Live south of Wichita. My name is Jim, im 21 years old this june, and I've been a gamer since i was about 5, on Windows 95, playing DOS games. after that Nintendo, SNES, Sega Genises, N64, PSX, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and so on and so forth. when i was 16 I decided to get SuSe 9.3 which was available threw the Best buy on Rock Rd. (they dont sell it anymore). SuSe was terrable, was very buggy, and didnt work all that well. after that i went back to Windows XP for a couple years, in 2008 I discovered Ubuntu. After some research I found the Wubi installer and installed it. Becuase of my gaming in World of Warcraft i didnt have time to realy set up WoW in Ubuntu under wine so i ended up using windows for the next year. Just after the new year i got my Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD in the Mail. I installed it, got everything setup, and becuase my gaming had slowed down i had time to setup my Games in Ubuntu under Wine. Ever since then I hardly touch windows.

Beans

Hi Jim,

Glad to see you drop by. I often travel through central KS. Drop in to the IRC chatroom on freenode sometime.

Dale

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast