Thread: Welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Welcome!

Howdy from out by Dodge City.

Dennis Jay Hogan
    27 yoa; Kinsley, KS
    Born and bred here in Kinsley, but have spent a year Lawrence and a met my wife during a year spent in Emporia.
    I got started with Linux about 6 months ago; I've preferred the command line since first plugging in my then-new Tandy Color Computer II. So when my mother-in-law gifted us her Compaq that was chugging under XP, I stuck in a new stick of memory and a Debian install disk. Got it running; swapped to Kubuntu 7.10. Now it serves for controlling my daughter's time online, and lets me tinker without screwing up the computer my wife has commandeered for her home business.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi All,
    I'm Rick Copeland, I live in cheney, 30 miles west of Wichita.
    I have a room set up for my computer and music fun.
    This box was a Compaq (P3 Katmai 550 379 mbs of ram, with a nvidia geforce2 vid card), doorstop. It had XP on it for awhile then it died. I was reading about 7.10 and decided to give it a try. After a ne Hard drive and few Video card swaps plus 3 installs it came out perfect. Not sure why the first 2 didn't work right but it only takes a couple of hours to reinstall.

I've tried to get different distros of Linux to run over the past few years, with no luck due to not knowing any programming langs. I'm very happy with this distro - XUBUNTU 7.10 and I'm now on the prowl for a considerably faster machine to put it on. I'm not quite ready to put it on my Main Computer (P4 2.8 w/2 gigs of ram) yet, but not far off.
    If there are any get together's in Wichita, I'd like to be there. Good Luck To all, Rick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason Hughes. I live in Topeka with my wife and three kids, ages 15, 13, 12.

I built a new computer about a month ago and decided to give Linux a try for the heck of it. I installed Ubuntu and have been enjoying trying to learn it. I work as a Radiology Engineer so after many years of dealing with Unix based X-ray machines, I thought I could switch to Linux no problem. I sense have learned differently. It is a real challenge to make everything work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi.

Chris, here. Live in Wichita. Married, one daughter (10).

Been using Linux for about a year. I love the fact that Ubuntu has been able to breathe some life back into some older machines I've had sitting around. Still trying to figure out the "challenging" parts of the OS, like getting Compiz working with old laptops, or why some annoying little things keep creeping-up, but all-in-all I've become addicted to tweaking and customizing--thankfully, the Ubuntu support community is superb.

I have one old laptop running Gutsy, one [somewhat] newer laptop running Gutsy, and an older PC I'm toying with (it used to be a LAMP server, but I'm not sure what I'll end-up with).

Anywho, just thought I'd say Hey, and that I'm here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

User: JoshuaRL
    Name: Sassafrass (jk, Joshua)
    Other: Wanting to learn programming, maintain more apps for Wine.
    Ubuntu user since 2005

I dual-booted Ubuntu 5.10 on a Windows 2000 Dell Latitude CPx. It worked great, but didn't have ethernet or wireless so it was a little limited. When I went on to another computer I didn't install Ubuntu, but instead went back to Windows.

So eventually I had a problem with a second-hand Inspiron 5100 where Microsoft told me that I had an invalid product key (after about 4-6 months of updates) and that I would need to pay them $150 to get a new one.

So after a halfway botched OEM install disk from a desktop I decided to jump head-first into Ubuntu. It's been great in every way, and I'm working on getting all my friends to convert.

Linux just makes sense in my brain. I always struggled trying to understand Windows, even if I had learned a lot via experimenting. But after the first beginner phase of "I hate this, it's not like Windows, I wish this would just work", I have progressed a ways. I feel I have started to understand the underlying logic to this OS and can provide help to others.

Eventually I will have my main computer as a backend for MythTV and a small thin client running on the TV for music, videos, and Virtualized XP when needed.

I hang some in the Absolute Beginner Forum, and am a new member of the Beginner Team.

Beans

Forum Name:
    bat21win
    RN:
    Mike

First started with a dual-boot windows and Ubuntu 6.06 at the recommendation of a friend. Have tried many distributions, Ubuntu being my favorite for a full OS, with DreamLinux my favorite for CD portable use. For most things, I prefer using Linux to Windows, games being the only exception. I think that within a year or two, there will be little reason to pay for a bogged down Windows OS.

Current CS student at WSU. Administrator on two large airsoft forums. Amateur digital photographer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Howdy from Abilene,

Joe Carney here.
    Old enought to know better, young enough to still try!
    Windows user since 3.0
    Getting tired of the problems with Windows. Currently using XP. Trying to install using Virtual machine to work out my bugs.

Side note -- Mr. Klemm could you please email me? I would like to meet with you face to face for some assistance with my machine!

joewolf at spinfinder dot com

Thanks

Joe
    Joseph Carney
    NJ0E
    It's not failure if you learn something!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by NJ0E View Post
    Howdy from Abilene,

Joe Carney here.
    Old enought to know better, young enough to still try!
    Windows user since 3.0
    Getting tired of the problems with Windows. Currently using XP. Trying to install using Virtual machine to work out my bugs.

Side note -- Mr. Klemm could you please email me? I would like to meet with you face to face for some assistance with my machine!

Thanks

Joe
    Well, I'm about 3 hours away from Abilene, but maybe I can help you through the interweb. What kind of problems are you having?

Oh, and Welcome to Ubuntu! Is it as hot there as it is here? Great googley-moogley.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Teh screen shots that pshcyocats has dont look like what I have under hardy heron. I have my HD partitioned into two drivers. One is @ 9.5 GB and the other @ 18.5 GB. I want to install ubuntu INSIDE windows using virtual machine. Trying this out so that I can learn how to set it up while maintiaining an internet connection (wireless is all that I have). When it installs it asks wether I want guided, guided with LVM, guided with encryptede LVM or manual. I have go all three routs and the install program doesnt see the partitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Joe

PS you can hit me off line at
    or if needed call me at home 785 200 3910 be advised that I head to work @ 1300 daily and dont return until after 2245. (commute to salina)

Again,

Thanks
    Joseph Carney
    NJ0E

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The screen shots that "pshcyocats" has doesn't look like what I have under hardy heron. I have my HD partitioned into two drivers. One is @ 9.5 GB and the other @ 18.5 GB. I want to install ubuntu INSIDE windows using virtual machine. Trying this out so that I can learn how to set it up while maintianing an internet connection (wireless is all that I have). When it installs it asks whether I want guided, guided with LVM, guided with encrypted LVM or manual. I have go all three routs and the install program doesn't see the partitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Joe

PS you can hit me off line at
    or if needed call me at home 785 200 3910 be advised that I head to work @ 1300 daily and dont return until after 2245. (commute to salina)

Again,

Thanks
    Joseph Carney
    NJ0E

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast