Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Introduce yourself

My name is Mike. I'm a typical nerd with a patient and understanding wife. I work for a Fortune 500, located in the KC Metro area, currently, with a background in just about everything under the sun. I've worked in a variety of fields but currently am a technical lead for TeamSite development.

I've been a Linux user since '98 timeframe, back when RedHat was RedHat and the versions started with numbers like 5. Since that time I've tried pretty much any flavor at home and spent numerous years as a Solaris and Linux admin professionally. I currently run Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora 4, Solaris (SPARC), and a custom kernel configuration. I was turned onto Ubuntu a while back and decided to stick with it after installing it on an old laptop; it was the only distro that actually worked with my soundcard. I had spent many hours hacking other distros to make it work, so apparently the little things weight heavily for me. From the days of compiling my own network drivers to now having wireless support "out of the box", things have come a long way and the future looks very bright.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My name is Drake. I'm very art driven. I've only recently been turned onto linux after getting away from Windows by apple. Now I'm slowly falling in love with Ubuntu. I have messed with DSL, Suse, and Red Had for a while but never could really get it right until ubuntu. Currently running Ubuntu under a virtual machine on my mac. I want to completely move to ubuntu/linux but I figured I payed WAY too much for my mac/osx it would be hard for me to switch now. Currently trying to save up money to build a machine specifically for Ubuntu.

I live in a state that is mostly driven by "followers" (South Louisiana) when it comes to computers. Its hard to find "hard-core" linux fans here.
    Into recording music/photography/graphic design/website development.

Currently trying to learn to program because I want to eventually contribute to the Linux community. I love what its about and its community.

Beans

Hello All,

I live in Wildwood (St. Louis suburb). I work as a chemical engineer, and I use Ubuntu on my home computer, but limited to the use of Windows XP on the company laptop.
    I started trying various distributions of Linux when Windows crashed and burned on my home computer, and I love the speed and protection from the onslaught of all the malware. I've ended up with Ubuntu Fiesty, and it is impressive. There is still some software that I haven't (yet) figured out how to run on Ubuntu, so I still have XP sharing space on the hard drive.

Its a fun hobby at this point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi Everyone!
    My name is David McCormack. I work for the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, MO. My current job title is Technology Buyer at the University Store. This includes all computers, software, peripherals, etc. sold to students, staff, and faculty.

I have been working with computers and software since 1985. My first computer was a Tandy TRS-80. From there I graduated up to DOS. During this time I ran my own BBS. For many years I worked will all the flavors of Windows and went to school to become a Windows Network Administrator. After graduation I went to work for Hallmark Cards in KC. At that time I starting working on Mac systems and had my first experience with Linux. I believe it was Redhat. Several of us Geeks tried to install it on a old Compaq. Boy what a challenge! Ever since then I have been hooked!!

I had an offer to go to work for the University of Central Mo as their computer store/mac service manager. Since this gave me a chance to move back to my home town of Warrensburg I jumped at the chance. Mac OS X is currently my primary OS. I have tried out several Linux distros. Redhat, OPENsuse, etc. Over the past year I have found that Ubuntu is the most easy to use but at the same time powerful enough to do the most demanding tasks. Currently I run Edgy under VMware Fusion on all of my Mac systems and have a deticated PC at home.

I have always wanted to learn more about linux. This has been sometimes a bit frustrating. I am the type of person, that when they set there mind to figuring something out, won't give up until they have the answer. I hope that in the future I will be able to help others learn more about Linux and the best distro available.... Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello!

I'm Ted Snider from Pleasant Hill,MO. I work in IT for the Hickman Mills School District. I starting using 6.10 while I was a student at Devry. I am now using the 7.10 beta. Thanks for the opportunity to join the local Ubuntu community!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello, my name is Bob Nelson. I live in the St. Peters area outside St. Louis.

I discovered Ubuntu about 9 months ago and have never looked back. I have toyed with Linux for a few years before I discovered Ubuntu and never found it to be as useful as I wanted it to be. When I bought my first laptop it had bloat Vista and there were no drivers for XP for the laptop. Ubuntu to the rescue.

I work here in St. Louis as a software engineer. I have been into computers since about 1987 starting with my Commodore 128.

With the release of Gutsy just around the corner are there going to be any install parties in the St. Louis area?
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans

Hello, I am Philip Dorr of Pleasant Hill,MO. I currently atend DeVry in Kansas City, MO (not downtown). I starting activly using GNU/Linux on my desktop about one year ago. I am now using Ubuntu 7.10, and planing on using mythbuntu 7.10. I have been using a Linux firewall (Smoothwall) since 2001.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hello, I'm John from Springfield, I am a programmer (intern until May...) for AECI and a linux user/promoter in my free time
    Always,
    John

Beans

Im Aakash
    I live in Clinton, MO, Im in 8th grade.
    Microsoft's rein over computers will fall....eventually...i think

Beans

My name is Rick Clark (dendrobates on freenode) I will be moving to St Charles, MO on April 25. I am originally from St Louis and glad to return after many years.

I am the Manager of the Ubuntu Server Team for Canonical, the company that funds Ubuntu. I will be the first Canonical employee in Missouri, although another is considering the move.

I would love to connect with people in the St Louis area to help evangelize Linux and F/OSS. I will help the LoCo in any way I can.

Rick

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast