Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.0.6 Removed from backports

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Firefox 1.0.6 Removed from backports

Quote Originally Posted by AndyAWS
    I've been using 1.06 since it hit staging last week. I've had no problems with it.
    AFAIK all of the problems were with 1.05.
    See this: http://www.informationweek.com/story...leID=166401151
    Yep no problems here either. So all is good so it seems. .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

excellent, it'll go into stable during the next mass-promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Martin Pitt (who is in charge of security at Ubuntu) and I had a quick e-mail conversation, and here's what he said:

John Dong [2005-07-24 15:32 -0400]:
    > http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubu...ly/043452.html
    >
    > >From this mailing list entry, it seems like you're saying that 1.0.6 has the
    > same problems as 1.0.5 and the recent Ubuntu Security update. However, here
    > at Backports, we've packaged Breezy's 1.0.6 for testing in the staging tree.
    > >From the reports (8 or so, more coming) we've gathered, it seems like
    > 1.0.6doesn't exhibit the instability that the USN update has.

One of the first things I tried was the packaged
    mozilla-tabextensions, which does not work with 1.0.6 as well.
    However, I tried some more extensions, and these worked with 1.0.6.

I'll try to backport the 1.0.6 changes today.

Martin
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Martin Pitt (who is in charge of security at Ubuntu) and I had a quick e-mail conversation, and here's what he said:
    now I'm curious which version I should use, the one from hoary-security or the back-port one? backport is newer, but is it the more stable one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Use the Backports one. I've gotten a report or two from others that the official hoary-security one crashes more than the Backports package.

I don't know the validity, and I won't go on a revenge-rant about these non-Backports bug reports finding their way to me...... (shuts up)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Use the Backports one. I've gotten a report or two from others that the official hoary-security one crashes more than the Backports package.

I don't know the validity, and I won't go on a revenge-rant about these non-Backports bug reports finding their way to me...... (shuts up)
    thanks for the info. I had so far no problems with 1.0.6 from backport. All my extensions are working fine and I've quit a lot! thanks for the bp

Beans

loaded ff 1.0.6 today via backports...ff froze then...then i restarted my comp(like in Window$ )...and it seems ok now

Beans

middle click to open in new window doesent seem to work anymore after installing this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Erm I install the backports one and it installed I couldn't open up firefox. I then uninstall all the firefox ones got rid of backports re-installed 1.06 off the 'official' mirrors and its all fine?

I'm not sure but the symbolic links got stuffed up. When I tried to uninstall the official version and install the backports version it removed ubuntu-desktop and yelp as well as all the other firfox files?

I'm not sure how to get around that since I'm originally from an rpm based distro.

Does dpkg have an equivalent to rpm -e --no-deps firefox?

*edit

Don't worry after a complete uninstall and re-install its all good. Ignore me.
    Last edited by strikeforce; July 26th, 2005 at 12:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by strikeforce
    Erm I install the backports one and it installed I couldn't open up firefox. I then uninstall all the firefox ones got rid of backports re-installed 1.06 off the 'official' mirrors and its all fine?

I'm not sure but the symbolic links got stuffed up. When I tried to uninstall the official version and install the backports version it removed ubuntu-desktop and yelp as well as all the other firfox files?

I'm not sure how to get around that since I'm originally from an rpm based distro.

Does dpkg have an equivalent to rpm -e --no-deps firefox?

*edit

Don't worry after a complete uninstall and re-install its all good. Ignore me.
    You also want to reinstall ubuntu-desktop. It's not a package, but a meta-package (it gives no files, rather it dictates what other packages should be installed/upgraded) and will be very useful when you upgrade from Hoary to Breezy.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast