Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    wow, anyway those commands can be run in the default feisty kernel

let me explain

sudo apt-get install -f

fixes up any dependencies your having = but MAKE SURE there is NOTHING like nautilus, the calculator, etc.. in there - it can mess up your system that's why i asked u to post.

sudo apt-get autoremove

automatically scans for and removes uneeded files
    Thanks alot for the help, I will note this down, thanx!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    New kernel works like a charm, the only thing is now I have a ton of updates that are clearly meant for Gutsy Gibbon since Update Manager's telling me that a partial upgrade will be done, do you think that's advisable?

By the way system specs are:

3.2Ghz Hyper-threaded P4 Processor(Intel)
    256Mb GeForce 6200 Nvidia
    1Gb RAM(DDR)
    280 GB SATA
    Intel 915GAV motherboard built-in soundcard(Don't know the real name)
    You did remove the Gutsy repos and update right? Or did you use the script?

After upgrading the kernel you shouldn't be getting anymore upgrades from the Gutsy repos..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

wow, I updated to the new driver (w/ the 2 libraries) and for the first time in I don't know how long, I got 3D acceleration. I'm so used to doing fglrxinfo and getting Mesa as the reply.

Everything is much better now. Thanks.
    oh yeah too much ubuntu allright...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Thanks for that tutorial walkirk!

The kernel.sh script worked flawlessly!

Acer TravelMate 4101WNLCi

Pentium M730 CPU 1.6GHz
    Intel 915GM/GMS/910 Express Graphics Controller
    Ethernet: Broadcom BCM4401 100 Base T
    Wireless: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG

Regards,
    Roger 8)
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Seems that Nautilus doesn´t like me anymore. Updated to 2.6.22-10 from 2.6.22-9 on one computer and from 2.6.20-16 another. It seems that when I updated the the Nvidia driver so it matches the one with the new kernel it updated a bunch of other dependences which causes Nautilus to crash when opening a new folder in the same window. -f and autoremove return nothing. Removing Nautilus doesn´t help either. I´m going to try installing Nautilus from the Gusty repository.

EDIT: Installing Nautilus from the Gusty repositories fixed the problem.
    Last edited by Kyran; September 1st, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyran View Post
    Seems that Nautilus doesn´t like me anymore. Updated to 2.6.22-10 from 2.6.22-9 on one computer and from 2.6.20-16 another. It seems that when I updated the the Nvidia driver so it matches the one with the new kernel it updated a bunch of other dependences which causes Nautilus to crash when opening a new folder in the same window. -f and autoremove return nothing. Removing Nautilus doesn´t help either. I´m going to try installing Nautilus from the Gusty repository.

EDIT: Installing Nautilus from the Gusty repositories fixed the problem.
    Very good I'm going to type out this process step by step for other users..

Upgrade Nautilus

Add the Gutsy repository
    Code:
    echo 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    Update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Upgrade Nautilus
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nautilus
    Remove the Gutsy repo from sources.list (The last line of the file)
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Now update again
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    That should do the trick.. I don't use Nautilus so I didn't do this myself but it worked for Kyran.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hey i just went to the gutsy repos and download the nautilus package - double clicked it - hit install - and it downloaded all it needed..awesome last time it never did go out and so I had to try with the libs all by myself - overall FASTER FASTER AND FASTER....now for gnome..heheheh

edit: somethings changed in nautilus or a lib now I can hear my harddrive crunching away after the GRUB menu automatically goes it away...used to it was REAL QUIET...

edit2: n/m on the gnome environment lolz it depends on a boat load of things..so i'll just stay away.. (and I have dialup)
    Last edited by nowshining; September 1st, 2007 at 12:23 PM.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans

Im a noob and when I saw this thread I said "dont do this, wait until the Gutsy release, what if something happens, etc.. ". Well just like that saying "why did you climb that Mountain? ...Because its there!!."....So with that being said, I upgraded using this script, worked flawlessly...Excellent work, you should work for Ubuntu since my upgrade from Edgy to Feisty was a horrible. Had to reinstall from scratch...
    thanks
    Darco

AMD 1750
    Epox MB
    ATI Rage XL
    1gig ram
    (this aint my main system )

Beans

Well, Dell Latitude D620 with BT/WIfi/Nvidia Quattro NVS110m worked good. Had a lot of Nvidia trouble. I did the upgrade then rebooted, no X. I used nano to open the repository for Gutsy again.

Code:
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    Then I uncommented the Gutsy repo. Once that was open, I did an update.

Code:
    apt-get update
    once the update was done, I grabbed the new Nvidia, and it seemed to hook a bunch of other stuff with it.

Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
    when that was all done, I typed REBOOT and was at my Gnome login.

Once back into the system, I turned off gutsy repos, and updated. one more reboot and all was good to go.

Everything feels fine, runs good, Beryl still works, even my installation of starcraft. I was logged in as ROOT during this process.
    Last edited by MorganLowe; September 1st, 2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: left out a step

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so far on my end I updated just about all I could so far so far my computer seems just right so I may not upgrade NO MORE, except for of course kernels.. gnome menu updated to the latest and like I said quick... if anyone updates or wants to update update manager - UPDATE BOTH THE CORE AND MAIN PROGRAM or else it WILL NOT work if you forget go to the gutsy repos and at the very bottom click to show ALL files / programs, etc.. and find the main program there and download - install and now all should be well and also EVERYONE CLEAN OUT ORPHANED files as this will help fix/speed up your system..

edit: only thing left is a that when a song changes in rythmbox and I am playing a game it skips - well at least supertuxkart... edit2 & some games are a bit slow right now - maybe a couple more updates...
    Last edited by nowshining; September 1st, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Page 40 of 56 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast