Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Howto: Simple kernel upgrade (Feisty or Edgy) to Gutsy's developing kernel.

This should work for Feisty Fawn and Edgy Eft users. This will install the current developing kernel that will be realeased with Gutsy Gibbon.

Check out my new thread > Upgrade to 2.6.24

Do not upgrade any packages while you have the Gutsy repository open.

Disclaimer: This is how I successfully upgraded my kernel without having to compile it myself. A couple of users have had issues with this method so be aware that problems can arise. At this point removing the new kernel using the instructions at the end of the post should do the trick, but if it doesn't I take no responsibility. I will monitor this thread to try to help out anyone thats had issues.

With that being said, most users have not had any problems and are enjoying the new kernel. Also, this will not remove your current kernels.

After you've upgraded please reply with your machine Model and specs so that others can benefit

You can download the script I've attached and do the following:

kernel.sh will upgrade to the current kernel using meta packages, meaning if you run this every week or so it will upgrade your kernel if a new version has been released. Current version is 2.6.22-14

Move to the directory in which you downloaded the script.. for example:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/file/
    make the script executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x kernel.py
    run it:
    Code:
    sudo python kernel.py
    This installed the new kernel. Enjoy

Or you can do it manually...

First you need to add the Gutsy repository (this is only temporary to pull the new kernel):
    Code:
    echo 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    Now that you've added the repository you need to update:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Next you need to install the new kernel:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install linux linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-generic
    Now that you've pulled the kernel you should remove the Gutsy repository from your sources.list:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Now you can remove the line or simply comment it out: (It'll be the last line of the file)
    Code:
    #deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
    Once again you need to update so that you'll stop pulling updates from the Gutsy repository:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Alright. If you've done all of the above without errors, you've successfully installed 2.6.22-14-generic. Now you need to reboot into the new kernel:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Enjoy

Miscellaneous fixes
    1. Having issues with your nVidia video cards?
    > A possible fix: Look here
    > Use Envy. Post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=520 / Envy's offical website

2. Is Nautilus crashing?
    > Update it using the gutsy repository:
    Look here

3. Are having issues with direct rendering and such with ATI video (specifically 200M chipset)?
    > Take a look at jamiepluncinski's post:
    Here
    Ok.. Did it hose your box? Too easy.

Reboot your computer and at Grub press esc to boot into your last kernel. (probably 2.6.20-16-*)

Remove the installed kernel and then upgrade.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic linux-headers-2.6.22-14 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Updates
    10/08/07: Cleaned up the network test
    09/20/07: Added a network test
    09/18/07: Cleaned up the python script...
    09/08/07: Updated to python.
    08/12/07: Added GUI (zenity dialogs) to the script
    08/08/07: Changed script to look for and install Meta packages
    08/07/07: Cleaned up kernel.sh
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by walkerk; January 24th, 2008 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

Re: Howto: Simple kernel upgrade. Feisty to Gutsy's (2.6.22-8-generic)

Excellent, Thanks for the info.

One thing though, I notice multiple "old" kernels in my grub that I never use that seem to be placed there after I finish doing major updates, how do i get rid of them? or is that not advisable?
    An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Blindraven View Post
    Excellent, Thanks for the info.

One thing though, I notice multiple "old" kernels in my grub that I never use that seem to be placed there after I finish doing major updates, how do i get rid of them? or is that not advisable?
    you can remove the listings by removing them from /boot/grub/menu.lst..

you can remove them through synaptic (easiest method) or you can delete them by removing them from /boot. though i strong advise you to leave a back up kernel on your system. i actually keep two backups in there..
    Last edited by walkerk; July 31st, 2007 at 04:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think it would only be necessary to temporarily add the main and restricted Gutsty repositories, since all the kernel packages come from there. So you would add this line instead:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted

I don't think the src line is needed either.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
    I think it would only be necessary to temporarily add the main and restricted Gutsty repositories, since all the kernel packages come from there. So you would add this line instead:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted

I don't think the src line is needed either.
    good call.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

sound working fine for me just upgraded to the latest tonight -just rebooted a bit ago started up rythmbox and all works again like I said fine for now..

Dell 4600i
    Internal Video Card used - 82865G Intel Corporation
    Stock Sound Card - internal - Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller

altho it just might be me but the music sounds a bit quicker I stayed up all night 4am in the morning PST time as of this post also much quicker than the last kernel

now that I think about it editing in this box seems a bit off on the spaces somewhat at times.

nowshining@BOT1NET1GOD1:~$ uname -r
    2.6.22-10-generic
    nowshining@BOT1NET1GOD1:~$

okay had to recompile setup for virtualbox or whatever in root terminal by doing this command

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

anyway have had so far FEW other problems besides auto fix removed the last kernel I believe...anyway..
    Last edited by nowshining; August 25th, 2007 at 01:25 PM.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    sound working fine for me just upgraded to the latest tonight -just rebooted a bit ago started up rythmbox and all works again like I said fine for now..

Dell 4600i
    Internal Video Card used - 82865G Intel Corporation
    Stock Sound Card - internal - Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller

altho it just might be me but the music sounds a bit quicker I stayed up all night 4am in the morning PST time as of this post also much quicker than the last kernel

now that I think about it editing in this box seems a bit off on the spaces somewhat at times.

nowshining@BOT1NET1GOD1:~$ uname -r
    2.6.22-10-generic
    nowshining@BOT1NET1GOD1:~$

okay had to recompile setup for virtualbox or whatever in root terminal by doing this command

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

anyway have had so far FEW other problems besides auto fix removed the last kernel I believe...anyway..
    I have heard that the card does not produce any sound at start-up. I haven't had that problem... Until I wake it up from suspend, then that is when I notice the lack of sound. I guess it varies by motherboard and other things.

I hope .22-11 comes out soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

A note to others some updates for gutsy make things go quicker and the sound better and booting up and down quicker, BUT be SELECTIVE when updating, when a box comes up asking to do partial click the close button, then right click and select clear all or uncheck all and be selective of the updates to download, but remember some updates CAN affect gameplay such as slowness in some games - unless ur video card doesn't work right now - stay away from the driver updates - just a warning - if not - go to synaptic package mananger and uninstall that update video card driver and do another search for your card and re-install it - esp. warning to Intel card users - uninstall the last one and there should be a double for 800 - 900 users but in the description one has the ubuntu logo and one does not, if you find slowness because of an update - just install the one with the logo next to the title/name..

I higly suggest doing manual updates and not automatic tho............. and of course manual checking... Python works fine, the new sudo works fine - now sudo says it wants a password from the certain username - um.. also stuff works fine, and stuff like that.. so yes My install is a mutt BUT so far quicker now since I did selective gutsy updates - i skipped stuff such as the grub and iptables install..lolz..anyway go have fun you kids.....

edit: oh yeah - update slow - and always reboot even if it doesn't ask because that's the only way some things work is after a reboot in feisty... oh and some things CAN NOT be SELECTED ANYWAY..lolz.. so don't go trying to install the latest rythmbox it won't checkmark..
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans

I didn't get this to work.
    I did exactly as told in the howto and ended up with X not starting with this error:
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
    (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
    (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with GeForce Go 7300.

Anyone has an idea of what to do? If you would like more info, please say so

Best regards,
    Jesper

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by greew View Post
    I didn't get this to work.
    I did exactly as told in the howto and ended up with X not starting with this error:

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with GeForce Go 7300.

Anyone has an idea of what to do? If you would like more info, please say so

Best regards,
    Jesper
    First take a look at this page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...lx-new&page=35

The same thing happened to spartikas but adding the nvidia-glx-new package from teh gutsy repos did the trick for him..

Or you can try reconfiguring Xorg:

Boot into 2.6.22-10 recovery mode and do the following from the command line..
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Code:
    startx
    ??
    Last edited by walkerk; August 28th, 2007 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast