Thread: Story of strange linux wierdness

Beans

Story of strange linux wierdness

I have a nice little setup running kde with beryl on my desktop screen and mythtv on my tv. Today I was watching a movie trailer on my desktop screen with kaffeine-xine and form lack of memory I guess it got real slow and almost froz when I skipped forward. So I hit ctrl-alt-f1 and typed "killall kaffeine" and ctrl-alt-f7. Srangely my desktop screen was black exept for the mouse that I could move but not click on anything including mythtv on the tv that was still fully visible. My keyboard also stopped working so ctrl-alt-f# was out of the question, however I have an IR remote for mythtv and that still works. It plays movies, music and everything works like it should exept there is no way to get focus.

Well, I have had stranger things happen to computers but I tought it was rather odd (and anoying) that it would only accept input from my remote. The keyboard is so dead it even refuses num-lock (no light).

I don't expect anyone to know what's going on here so I decided to post it here instead of suport. I guess I'll just have to learn from my mistakes and make sure I have SSH set up for the next time something odd like this happends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Story of strange linux wierdness

huh, sounds like a mythtv problem; I can't stand that wretched program at the moment.so much bloat and not enough integration. But maybe it'll get better.

I know there are ways of trying to get X11 to do the right thing, but they mostly assume a working keyboad. hmm
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

I don't think it's myth. Looks more like a nvidia/beryl to me. I never had much problems with myth. What do you mean by to little intergation? I allways considered myth more of a frontend. What bugs me about myth is that it wont read media from diffrent folders so you are forced to use LVM if you have a large media archive, I don't feel comfortable whit LVM at all...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Resisting the urge to pull this thread off topic.

If Beryle or compiz was running then I'm guessing the video card went a bit weird since mythtv can use the layering effects on a 3D card to speed up and smooth out rendering.

we'll have to talk about mythtv in another thread.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

I forgot I was in windows and pushed both mouse buttons at once, apparently in Opera that means back so what I typed got deleted, and I'm to tired to type it up again... Maybe later... Stupid wi&#%¤z mumblemumble...