Thread: Rhce Vs Lpi?

Beans

Rhce Vs Lpi?

I've been considering studying for a linux certification of course to learn more and something that would look good on a resume. I keep going back and forth between RHCE and LPI, there's things I like and dislike about both.

Just today I saw this article about the certifications http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13530/1054/1/0/

And I saw this list of best 2006 certifications and number 10 is LPI and number 1 is RHCE
    http://certcities.com/editorial/feat...ditorialsID=95

The major thing i don't like about the LPI is the expiration date. I understand the idea behind the experation date, but do you think a computer engineering or computer science degree 10 or 15 years ago means they should take a test again or not have the degree?

The RHCE does seem to be more respected of course, since it's been around longer and it has Redhat's backing.

The price of LPI and not being vendor oriented really interests me. I also like that I can pass one at a time, working my way up to level 3.

I guess one of my question is would an LPI 3 that I had 10 years ago not be active in that I can't put it on my resume? The new ubuntu certification I believe it requires you to have LPI, would it only accept an active one?

The truth is the expiration is what really draws me away. The RHCE doesn't have this, which is something I really like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Rhce Vs Lpi?

Six in one hand, half dozen in the other....

If Linux administration is what you wanna' do when you grow up I don't think there is a wrong certification whether it's RH, Novell, LPI, Ubuntu, etc.

Most certs require updating to keep current, a'la MS Server 2000 to Server 2003... That's the bad news.

If I had to do all over again I should've stayed in college and gotten a Masters Degree....

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

I'm already a computer engineer. I have a bachelor degree and a master degree in engineering. I do nothing related to linux directory at work, maybe one system out of 10 is running redhat to be honest, but I'm not responsible for anything linux related and don't plan on leaving my job. I'm more looking for something that would look good on my resume just incase I left one day, which most likely won't happen and I like studying for something and it's nice to add a certification so that I have something to show for my studying.
    I'm not looking for a certification to grow up to be a linux administrator. What I do at my job though does help the more I know about anything software related, but this is something more for myself versus trying to get a linux administration job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

...in that case, I would probably go CompTIA's Linux+ certification....

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)