Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas and Plans for Improving Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The Trouble With Linux

It's funny--it was Ubuntu's forums and documentation that drew me to Ubuntu.
    Ditto

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I like how you try to run software written for a different OS and because it doesn't work straight out of the box it's Linux fault. Give me a break.

If you want help, ask for it. If you want to bitch, take it somewhere else. I for one am sick of the crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I guess I thought this part of the forum was for testimonials. If all you want is glowing reports then say so. If you are willing to accept the fact that some people find the current hurdles frustrating, then don't crap all over anyone who willing to say what the experience was like for them, and what would have made it less painful.
    It wasn't meant as a personal attack on those of you who seem so offended. It was simply a collection of observations. I'd love to get away from Windows, and I'd love to see a large segment of the industry leave Windows. I'm really on your side! I just thought that a Board for testimonials would be mature enough to tolerate a little venting.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I think it would be very nice if Canonical included a README_FIRST.html file with Ubuntu that included links to where all the common questions are answered. For instance, I didn't discover the Ubuntu Starter Guide (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper) for several days, and I had to search the forums/Internet to find https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...mats#w32codecs.

The file "oo-welcome.odt" that comes in ~/Examples is not very useful. Perhaps for the next version, we could make a general, "So You've Installed Ubuntu... Now What?" page that pops up automatically after installation that addresses some of the most common issues newbies ask about, has links to the major wikis and tutorials of importance, and maybe even some Getting Started tips.

Maybe Ubuntu should even have a Tip of the Day feature like many big applications do. Anybody disagree with that idea?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David TAkle View Post
    I guess I thought this part of the forum was for testimonials. If all you want is glowing reports then say so. If you are willing to accept the fact that some people find the current hurdles frustrating, then don't crap all over anyone who willing to say what the experience was like for them, and what would have made it less painful.
    It wasn't meant as a personal attack on those of you who seem so offended. It was simply a collection of observations. I'd love to get away from Windows, and I'd love to see a large segment of the industry leave Windows. I'm really on your side! I just thought that a Board for testimonials would be mature enough to tolerate a little venting.
    Is there any specific help you require? I think most people here would be more the willing to try to help you with any problems. Remember, your experience with Ubuntu is not they experience. Just about everyone struggles to learn linux. When I first used linux, I had no idea how to get my modem to work or how to compile software. There was a lot of searching and a lot of trial and error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kwilliam View Post
    I think it would be very nice if Canonical included a README_FIRST.html file with Ubuntu that included links to where all the common questions are answered.
    It already does, and the link goes here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/deskt...e/C/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thank you kwilliam. My experience was very similar. It would have been much less painful to have found the good stuff the first time I looked for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by David TAkle View Post
    Thank you kwilliam. My experience was very similar. It would have been much less painful to have found the good stuff the first time I looked for it.
    Maybe you're just better off with Linspire and not Ubuntu.

The second you load up Linspire for the first time, a video tutorial pops up immediately (much like the Windows XP Tour) and shows you around.

Most Ubuntu users would find such a tour a nuisance, but I think Linspire might be your cup of tea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If the documentation is easy enough for me to understand, then I'm pretty sure that most people would be able to grasp it. True, some of the man entries are a little esoteric, but that's what we have HOWTOs for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David TAkle
    If 80% of the people have to ask the same question in order to use their system effectively, then it says something about the documentation, does it not ???
    No, given the amount of documentation that exists and the tools and technologies available (forums, search engines etc.) for reaching it, it says something about that 80%.

Note: My sense of "documentation" isn't strictly structured technical documents. Anything that can be found on the net and elsewhere that solves your problem or teaches you something new is documentation. A forum post that you find via a search that solves an existing problem for you is documentation in this sense. So can be a wiki page or a chat log.
    Last edited by 23meg; August 20th, 2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast