Thread: Open Office any good with Turabian or APA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Open Office any good with Turabian or APA?

Hey,
    Has anybody used Open Office to do a paper in either APA or Turabian? I'm a history major so I use Turabian and my partner is a psychology major and he uses APA. I'm thinking of getting my partner a new laptop for his birthday but I'm trying to keep the cost down and thought I'd try to give him Open Office instead of paying for Microsoft Office or Corel WordPerfect. Has anybody had any luck with using Open Office to do very long research papers.

I myself am not very knowledgeable about APA, because I've never used it or been taught it which is why I'm asking this forum if you've used it with OO and had any luck.

Thanks a million!

Beans

Re: Open Office any good with Turabian or APA?

I haven't used Openoffice for this sort of thing, but Lyx is very good for APA articles (I'm a psychology graduate myself). It does take a bit of getting used to (it works quite differently from Office and such), but it is definitely worth it. I've never used Turabian, so I can't say if Lyx will work for that too.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Open Office any good with Turabian or APA?

Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    I haven't used Openoffice for this sort of thing, but Lyx is very good for APA articles (I'm a psychology graduate myself). It does take a bit of getting used to (it works quite differently from Office and such), but it is definitely worth it. I've never used Turabian, so I can't say if Lyx will work for that too.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks, I'll look into it and give it a run. Thanks a lot! Please keep the comments coming.