Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Internet Connection Sharing Documentation

Beans

Re: Internet Connection Sharing Documentation

hi,

on the wiki seems like a mistake. is it?

instead of:

Configure your internal network card (eth1) for static IP like so:
    sudo ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth0

shouldn't it be

sudo ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth1

?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lukanova View Post
    on the wiki seems like a mistake. is it?

instead of:
    sudo ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth0
    shouldn't it be

sudo ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24 dev eth1
    ?
    Either that, or the example should name a different subnet, as the article states that the two network interfaces cannot be on the same subnet, and the example only covers configuring one interface.

[Edit] Yes, the example should definitely read ‘eth1’ instead of ‘eth0’.
    Last edited by szal; June 9th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Currently deployed, my ISP filters MACs. I'm hoping to connect my PSP through my laptop using 2 wireless cards. I'd appreciate any tips specific for the PSP. Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by szal View Post
    Either that, or the example should name a different subnet, as the article states that the two network interfaces cannot be on the same subnet, and the example only covers configuring one interface.

[Edit] Yes, the example should definitely read ‘eth1’ instead of ‘eth0’.
    Feel free to edit the page if you feel that there is a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Horibal View Post
    Currently deployed, my ISP filters MACs. I'm hoping to connect my PSP through my laptop using 2 wireless cards. I'd appreciate any tips specific for the PSP. Thanks,
    You should post a separate thread for this in the networking section here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Beans

This documentation seems to be way out of date! In my experience ICS can be achieved in all later ubuntu versions by setting up your internet connection normally and simply going to Network Manager GUI and under IPv4 options on the port you want to share select "shared to other computers". That's it, nothing more to do - NM does it all for you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

brianmck: That would then be an additional (and nowadays probably the preferred) way of achieving the goal. I, for one, had the ifup method set up automatically on installing Kubuntu and don’t use NetworkManager—neither is there a need for it on a desktop machine without WiFi.

Beans

Hi,

I've looked at the wiki and read the thread, but it didn't seem to help - I think I am almost there, but not quite.

I have my Ubuntu (lynx) connected to the internet through eth1. I have eth0 connected to a Linksys WAP53G. This is nothing more than a wireless access point - it is not a router at all. The idea is to have a wireless network in my house that makes use of the firewall and other security features of my desktop computer.

I followed the dirctions in the wiki, and most things seems to work. The default address of the WAP is 192.168.1.245, so I let it stay at that, and the default gateway that the WAP uses is 192.168.1.1, so I used that as the address of eth0 (ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1). I can ping those two addresses from my desktop machine, and a ping for any other address in 192.168.1 gets lost, so that appears to be working. I have dhcp3 set up and running on my computer, is the config file:

Code:
    INTERFACES = "eth0";
    # option definitions common to all supported networks...

default-lease-time 6000;
    max-lease-time 72000;

# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
    # network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
    authoritative;

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
    # have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
    #log-facility local7;

# No service will be given on this subnet, but declaring it helps the 
    # DHCP server to understand the network topology.

#subnet 10.152.187.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    #}

# This is a very basic subnet declaration.

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2;
    option domain-name "alexfeldman.org";

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.250;
    }
    Should I have not left my domain in there? Oh well.

No errors, or at least obvious errors, appear in the logfiles. It just seems like the dhcp signal isn't getting out there, and that's why my laptop isn't finding a signal.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Beans

So I have installed ver 12.x on my machine I actually like the interface except for the complicated command line gibberish found in this "guide": https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

For the most part I figured out how to edit files using the terminal, which for a newbie it would have been nice if in the "guide" it mentioned editing files this way...

So I get to the point of "ubuntu Internet Gateway Method (iptables)" gateway setup & well basically the example code makes no sense and doesnt work at all & now im getting crash reports that I dont know what have to do with what anymore now....

Here is my setup & im sure for many others its a common setup that seems to be complicated by a simple "disabled" settings area in the GUI portion of "network settings" panel...

After trying to follow the above links "guide" it seems to me that IF when the "share connection" is selected in the ipv4 tab of the network card to bey shared that IF there in the GUI I could simply input my IP, sub-net, & gateway info there none of this other confusing command line giberish would be needed... But its all shaded out & not accessible...

I have 2 NICs one wifi which works fine & is my internet connection to my ISP router the other is the onboard wired NIC to feed a second router...

All I need for is the wired/onboard nic (eth0) to be "shared" & to have the following settings: IP 192.168.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 92.168.10.x

Its my understanding from the "guide" this has to be set/done from a terminal command line, but the guides references dont work or set the "eth0" to anything; i

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789