Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 64 bit vs. 32 bit Ubuntu

Beans

Re: 64 bit vs. 32 bit Ubuntu

Is is safe to assume that if I have Lucid's 64 bit server installed and then type apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, the 64 bit desktop will be installed?

Alternatively: How can I get Ubuntu to display which version is installed: 32 bit/64 bit - for server and desktop?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I recently built a new system with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, and an nVidia GPU, and I have been running Mint 9, and then Ubuntu 10.04 when it came out, both in x64 flavours.

My system crashes entirely if I try to use flash, and if I try to resize windows in VirtualBox. I need to hard reboot at least twice a day in order to recover.

I want to access the 8GB, but I have to say I have had way more problems with stability in 64bit than I ever had with 32bit. I'll have to try the PAE, to see if that solves some of my woes.
    S-Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smilingfrog View Post
    I recently built a new system with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, and an nVidia GPU, and I have been running Mint 9, and then Ubuntu 10.04 when it came out, both in x64 flavours.

My system crashes entirely if I try to use flash, and if I try to resize windows in VirtualBox. I need to hard reboot at least twice a day in order to recover.

I want to access the 8GB, but I have to say I have had way more problems with stability in 64bit than I ever had with 32bit. I'll have to try the PAE, to see if that solves some of my woes.
    I had used Ubuntu 10.04 x64 for some time, and found it really troublesome with the driver and flash issues it had. I nearly went back to Windows, but decided to try out the 32-bit version, which I found quite usable except for a few hiccups.

I then realized that Canonical really meant it when they said "Not recommended for daily desktop usage" (for the 64-bit version), at the download page for Ubuntu.
    Last edited by abuy; September 8th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by abuy;
    I then realized that Canonical really meant it when they said "Not recommended for daily desktop usage" (for the 64-bit version), at the download page for Ubuntu.
    I suspect the reason for that disclaimer is that some quasi-essential parts of the desktop aren't yet available for 64 bit operating systems.

The only non-beta, non-alpha, stable closed source software you'll find for a 64 bit operating system is software that is developed for the Apple OS X.

The only FLOSS application I've run into, that doesn't work on 64 bits is Thunderbird. But then Thunderbird also fails as a 32 bit email client.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans

Just thought I'd chime in. I have been running 10.10 for the last 6 days with zero issues in 64bit on a Dell Studio XPS i7 machine.

Anyone else on 10.10 with 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Recently fresh installed ubuntu 10.10 32bit and 64bit on same desktop pc (dual boot) and so far had no problems with: -

Flash
    Chrome (dev channel)
    Java
    Eclipse, Netbeans
    Android
    Vlc

Everything working ok so far, fingers crossed.....

Beans

just installed amd64 version of maverick onto my machine that i have just made ...AMD semperon 140 2.7Ghz, AS Rock n68c motherboard and 2gigs of DDR2. Only thing i have noticed is no splash screen...goes straight to desktop.everything seems OK so far.

Beans

Hi.

I'm going to install Ubuntu and considering as well between the 32-bit and a 64-bit versions.

So, according to above posts it's safe to install the 64-bit version?

Regards.

Beans

You could just download the 64bit version and run as a live cd to test for bugs. And if that doesn't work then just go for the 32bit version. I would sugest using a cd-rw so you can reuse the same cd for both versions if the 64bit doesn't work out. Good luck.

Edit: sorry for the necro-post.
    Last edited by Joe Awsome; January 2nd, 2011 at 05:59 AM.
    current system: Gateway lt3114u with, 2GB RAM (pc5300/667MhZ), 250GB HDD, and Vista Basic (Ugh!).

"Microsoft may give you Windows, but Ubuntu gives you the whole house"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ive got 2GB of ram and a 1GHZ processor. This is a 2008 gateway labtop, i ran 64 bit vista on it.... should i go for the 64 bit ubuntu?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast