Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Guide to Installation in Ubuntu

Re: Complete Guide to Installation in Ubuntu

Thread reopened, so questions can be asked.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Re: Focus Setting

Sorry for the jumbled mess, but I've reopened the guide, merged the questions for the guide to the guide itself, and split away one post from a sticky into this thread so that all the pertinent material is in one spot.

Now if someone can offer an answer, I'll feel like I actually have a purpose in life.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; April 30th, 2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I don't have to explain my art to you.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Smile Re: Complete Guide to Installation in Ubuntu

To All:

My questions asked in the email above were answered by K. Mandla in a seperate email (quote pasted below). For this I thank K. Mandla very much.

I am posting the answers here for those who might have the same questions in the future. I am running Gutsy.

It seems for the present the terminal emulator I get is the default without options, and the default for focus of the desired window, is by left clicking the desired window. At present I find no other focus optins. These will do well for now.

When I need more answers on the tutorial at the start of this thread, I will ask here again.

Regards.

Jeffrey Tooker
    Paynes Ck. Ca.

<<<Hi Jeffrey. Thanks for the e-mail. Could you tell me more about this guide? Is it online or on the forums? Can you send me a link? Or is it a book?

I found your original post about focus. I'll see if I can find the focus settings in Gnome Ubuntu, but generally speaking the focus is generally the action that moves a desktop window to the forefront. In some window managers you can click on a window to give it the focus, but others you only have to move the mouse over it to give it focus.

Also, the terminal in Gnome is located under the Applications menu, in the Accessories submenu. The icon should look like a little black box
    -- a terminal screen. Clicking on that will open a terminal emulator.

Does that help at all?

Thanks again,
    K.Mandla>>>

Beans

frost pikie had this stickied in his signiture when i was trying to find out about how to sort my office clipart stuff out.
    gotta say i could have used this ages ago!!

nonetheless, its a great guide.

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu: Some guides and howtos

Thank you , Thank you ,Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post

FLOSS:
    Free Libre Open Source Software. This term will come up often in your adventures with Linux/Ubuntu. It has many other names FOSS (minus the Libre) Open Source Software are a few others. A complete explanation can be found here at the Wikipedia entry. The short summary is that it means software that is Free (as in beer, you can get it for paying nothing. Opera browser is this kind of free, but not Libre or Open source, so you see you can be free software and not FLOSS) Libre (as in, you can do whatever you want with it (modify the program however you like)) and Open Source (means that the source code is freely available for you to read, modify or edit). I encourage you to support complete and partially FLOSS projects whenever you can, they can't thrive and grow without us.
    Your definition of FLOSS is false. The F in FLOSS refers to free AS IN FREEDOM software, and has nothing to do with price. The Wikipedia article you link to also demonstrates this. Please correct this mistake.

Great write-up nontheless. Thank you for taking the time. Exteremely useful.
    Last edited by Starchild; March 24th, 2009 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Read through the whole thing . . . MY COMPLIMENTS.

I'd like to see your Wiki article, but that "Ubuntu Document Storage Facility" link seems to be broken. So where is it?
    BJ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by BobJam View Post
    Read through the whole thing . . . MY COMPLIMENTS.

I'd like to see your Wiki article, but that "Ubuntu Document Storage Facility" link seems to be broken. So where is it?
    UDSF is not up any longer. The thread is from 2007, I doubt the OP will provide support..
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    UDSF is not up any longer. The thread is from 2007, I doubt the OP will provide support..
    I'm still around bapoumba

Ya I never quite got around to that, due to other things. Still a good guide for learning, even if outdated. I ought update it. I'm glad people still find it useful. You are all quite welcome, was a labor of love that took me quite a while.

Maybe I'll do a bit of updating on the weekend if I've time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12