Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff I've learned about Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Stuff I've learned about Wine

Cappy, I don't feel comfortable adding a tool that is not recommended by the Wine developers to the document. Do you know what Sidenet did that allowed it to fix your problem, i.e. what Wine config changes did it make that seemed to work? Maybe we can figure out how Sidenet did what it did and we can add that info to the doc.

dorath, I added a link into the "NOTES" section to a post I wrote a while back that explains the full script. I also updated that post a bit to include a little more detail. It should have all the info you need to use one of these scripts.
    Last edited by cogadh; July 11th, 2007 at 05:58 AM.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

OMFG greatest thread ever. Especially the script to run games in seperate X session. One question, would you need to change ttyl's in order to use this? Example: <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F9>?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    OMFG greatest thread ever. Especially the script to run games in seperate X session. One question, would you need to change ttyl's in order to use this? Example: <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F9>?
    When you launch a new X session (as in the script) it should take focus without user input. So unless something
    else steals the focus back it should work every time. ^_^ You can still switch manually back and forth if needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Cappy, I don't feel comfortable adding a tool that is not recommended by the Wine developers to the document. Do you know what Sidenet did that allowed it to fix your problem, i.e. what Wine config changes did it make that seemed to work? Maybe we can figure out how Sidenet did what it did and we can add that info to the doc.
    Yes that is logical, it doesn't really belong in the document. I just thought someone else might find the tip useful. I don't know what sidenet does that makes ventrilo work for me. It must be something registry related or all of the fake libraries it makes.

I don't have enough time to go through the changes and try to figure out what exactly makes the difference; sorry.
    Currently favorite songs:
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance
    Visit www.cherrypeel.com for more free indie music =)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    The only time you would need to change tty is if you intend to kill you current X session before launching the new X session for the game, that is explained in detail in the instruction link that I put in the notes section under the script. As hikaricore said, when used as is, the script itself will change to display 3 for you when it launches the new X session. You get back to your original X session by hitting CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE after you have quit out of the game.

Just for the sake of honesty, I can't claim credit for the simple brilliance of this script, I "borrowed" it from a World of Warcraft how-to I stumbled across while looking for help with a different Wine problem. Unfortunately, I don't know who was the originator of the how-to (can't remember what site I found it on), so I can't give him/her the credit they deserve.

Cappy I know what you mean about not having the time, I'll try to mess around with Sidenet a little this weekend, maybe I'll get lucky and find the answer real quick.

EDIT - I decided that having the full script instructions in the post would be more helpful than having a link to a separate post. I added an "Advanced stuff" section that now contains the full details on using the launch script.
    Last edited by cogadh; July 13th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i hope you dont mind if i posted this on my newly opened forum www.ubuntux.info.tm over here http://www.ubuntux.info.tm/viewtopic.php?t=5...

Beans
    Distro

I don't mind, just be aware that I do update/edit the orignal post on a semi-regular basis to add new stuff as I encounter it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

what would be an excellent idea is to make a data base where people can contribute how to get various games running at the best performance and what wine settings thaey are using some where on the forums. that people will have quick access too. but over allthe information posted here is excellent. and like to say having ussing cedega myself in the past i do fond my self use wine alot more and rarly using cedega and i believe wine has surpassed cedega when it comes to running games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro

Like frodon posted, Wine's AppDB already does all that. Its also in the original post, under the "Regular use stuff" section.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast