Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under the latest Ubuntu release

Beans

Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under the latest Ubuntu release

In February Transmission 2.50 was released. This mini-guide demonstrates how to build this version from source under for the latest Ubuntu release: Oneiric Ocelot. I will update this guide periodically for newer versions of both Transmission and Ubuntu .

Remove the repository version...

First we need to remove the repository version, which has been split into a few different components (we will be building instead a single package that has the gtk frontend, the cli client, the remote utility and the daemon). The following is a single command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove transmission transmission-daemon \
    transmission-common transmission-gtk transmission-cli transmission-qt
    Dependencies and compilers...

Next download some compiling tools and dependencies with the following single command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential automake autoconf checkinstall libtool \
    pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev \
    libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libcanberra-gtk-dev libappindicator-dev
    The newest Transmission requires an external copy of libevent so we will download and compile this, then install it locally. The following is a single command:

Code:
    mkdir -v $HOME/transmission_build && cd $HOME/transmission_build && \
    wget https://github.com/downloads/libevent/libevent/libevent-2.0.17-stable.tar.gz && \
    tar xvf libevent-2.0.17-stable.tar.gz && \
    cd libevent-2.0.17-stable && \
    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/transmission_build/libevent && \
    make && make install
    Download and compile Transmission...

Next download the Transmission source code, open the tarball and compile and install it with the following single command:

Code:
    cd $HOME/transmission_build && \
    wget http://download.transmissionbt.com/files/transmission-2.50.tar.bz2 && \
    tar xjvf transmission-2.50.tar.bz2 && cd transmission-2.50 && \
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$HOME/transmission_build/libevent/lib/pkgconfig" && \
    ./configure && make && \
    sudo checkinstall --pakdir "$HOME/transmission_build" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
      --fstrans=no --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default --pkgversion "2.50" && \
    make clean
    And that is it! This gives you the newest version of a great BitTorrent program, perfect for downloading and sharing the latest versions of Ubuntu. Remember: Have Fun!!

Recent Updates to this Guide:

• Mar 18 2012: Updated for Transmission 2.50 and libevent 2.0.17
    • Oct 24 2011: Updated for Transmission 2.42
    • Oct 09 2011: Updated for Transmission 2.41
    • Sep 30 2011: Updated for Oneiric Ocelot, Transmission 2.33 and libevent 2.0.14
    • Jul 16 2011: Updated for Transmission 2.32
    Last edited by andrew.46; March 18th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under the latest Ubuntu release

I have upgraded the guide to cater for Natty Narwhal and the newest Transmission which came out a week or 2 ago. Have fun with the new version .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Howto: Build the BitTorrent client Transmission under the latest Ubuntu release

Another great guide.

Thankyou Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Works perfectly on Ubuntu 11.04, Xubuntu 11.04 running Gnome 3 and Gnome shell and Ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS (with absolute minimum X).

But please bear in mind, the command transmissioncli now has a dash

transmission-cli

And if you do this while you have unfinished torrents, you will have to start again (or at least I can't figure out how to resume them with the cli interface).

I would be interested, if you know Andrew, if it is possible to build the latest Transmission, without the gui.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Works perfectly on Ubuntu 11.04, Xubuntu 11.04 running Gnome 3 and Gnome shell and Ubuntu server 10.04.2 LTS (with absolute minimum X).
    Thanks or having a look at this and testing it so widely .

But please bear in mind, the command transmissioncli now has a dash

Code:
    transmission-cli
    Almost worth putting an alias in $HOME/.bashrc:

Code:
    alias transmissioncli=transmission-cli
    I have not tested this, in part because I am on my other computer at the moment (without Transmission), but it should save a few mistypings!

And if you do this while you have unfinished torrents, you will have to start again (or at least I can't figure out how to resume them with the cli interface).

I would be interested, if you know Andrew, if it is possible to build the latest Transmission, without the gui.
    It should not be too much trouble, there are several enable and disable options seen in ./configure --help and certainly the Ubuntu package splits the Transmission source up into several discrete packages. It would not be too much trouble to build a set of formal debian packages for the new version by modifying the existing package but I have never enjoyed building packages in this way.

And I confess that I have always used rtorrent for ncurses/cli and Transmissioon for gui rather than the Transmission cli interface .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post

And I confess that I have always used rtorrent for ncurses/cli and Transmissioon for gui rather than the Transmission cli interface .
    I have to confess that I am not much of a torrenter (if that is a word). I tend to use them to download single files (linux distros mainly).

So, I have an alias

Code:
    alias trm='transmissioncli -d -U 10 -er'
    -d means no limit to download speed

-U 10 means limit upload speed to 10kbs

-er means use encryption (even though the torrents are completely legal, and my isp does not concern itself with such things, some isps do).

For my situation, rtorrent is overkill.

Simply
    Code:
    trm <url_of_latest_ubuntu_release>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi
    This HowTo has worked OK with Lucid Lynx.
    (Transmission 2.32 and libevent 2.0.12)
    Last edited by ron999; July 16th, 2011 at 06:26 AM.

Beans

Thanks Ron! I have updated the guide to cover the latest Transmission release now..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tried these instructions with 10.10 ubuntu, and everything seemed to install fine, but the program doesn't start when i click any short cuts. Running from terminal gives me

~/Desktop$ transmission-gtk %U
    [1]+ Bus error transmission-gtk %U
    Bus error

I'm using transmission 2.33. i changed the numbers where neccesary, but i think i'll just do it excatly how you have it in the code.

--with 2.32 I only get
    --desktop:~$ transmission-gtk us error
    Last edited by babygenius55; September 25th, 2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: testing

Beans

Those Transmission guys must never sleep . I am in the process of installing Oneiric beta 2 so when this is settled in I shall retest the guide and make sure all is well. Check that you only have one copy of Transmission installed at the moment though, and perhaps also test starting with:

Code:
    transmission -p

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast