Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

I have a Lexmark Z33 so I tried the Z35 driver and everything worked fine until the last instruction:

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35
    direct z35:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities
    ERROR: Unable to open printer port "/usr/lib/cups/backend/z35": Text file busy

How can I fix that? Any suggestions?

Beans

I have the x1185 and when I get to the first command that begins with sudo i get an error that says that it cannot find argument --C or somthing like that please help feel free to email me or im me at s2k Bilko

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

This is a great howto..Everything goes great for me until I get to the Add Printer part.

I cannot find the newly installed driver, I have restarted cups a few times and gnome, if i user the have driver button i get told it is already installed.

Is it under the manufactor lexmark?? what is it called in the list. I have checked them all and none are z600 or anything like that..

any hints??

Pablo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun
    The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
    Code:
    /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    I had to do that with sudo for it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I gave it a reboot and i could now see the driver..

I setup the printer.

Now when i try and print a test page it sucks in the the paper and then the second light is on and it moves the heads, its like it is in slow motion. but nothing really happens.

these printers are crap methinks.
    Pablo

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

okay after my previous ranting I decided to try again.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaa!!

I tried the instructions above and can verify that it works like a charm for the Z25 if you use the z35 driver and z35 cups 1.01 driver, here are the links:

http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfi...E-1.0-1.tar.gz

http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfi...S-1.0-1.TAR.gz

One other hint, as mentioned two post above, when restarting cups uses sudo, otherwise nothing happens..

Thanks!!

Pablo
    Last edited by Pablo El Vagabundo; September 6th, 2005 at 10:51 AM.

Beans

It worked great for a Lexmark z515. Thanks!

Someone should put this in the wiki...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun
    Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

With that said, let's get to it!

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here. Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

Code:
    $ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended. 
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped

I have a Lexmark Z715 and when i try doing this get error messages when i put in the commands. I downloaded the file with the drivers and saved them to a folder named Lexmark on my desktop.

Code:
    :~ $ mkdir lexmark
    mkdir: cannot create directory `lexmark': File exists
    :~ $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark
    mv: cannot stat `CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz': No such file or directory
    If you could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

Beans

I've got a Z55 and unfortunately had no luck. The instructions all went fine and the output looked right, and I can select the z600 driver from the KDE printer selection menu, but when I try to print, the job comes up in the manager and then goes away a little later...all the while my printer has done absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just noticed my printer isn't even on the supported list. damn :/
    DOUBLE EDIT: Well, I guess my original question *does* stand, as a z55 is in fact on the list.

So..anyone had any luck?
    Last edited by fortytwo; September 22nd, 2005 at 12:02 AM.

Beans

Question Simplification of the HOWTO; newer CUPS problems

There are a few possible simplifications to the HOWTO. First of all, the unpacking can be a little less elaborate. The following commands install the packages just fine; ignore the various errors

Code:
    $ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended. 
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $  # Run the script and *keep* the installer dir (ingnore the errors):
    $ sh z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep
    $ cd installer/
    $ # Install using alien
    $ sudo alien -i z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
    $ sudo alien -i z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
    After these steps you can use the driver to install the printer in CUPS as described in the HOWTO. No need to lddconfig, no need to unzip the ppd (CUPS can read the PPD zipped).

Unfortunately for me, I still cannot print as it appears the driver cannot deal with the raster format generated by newer gs-esp versions (gs-esp is the CUPS-specific gs). See http://www.cups.org/espgs/str.php?L6...S0+C0+I30+E1+Q. The driver dates from Aug. 2003 and the CUPS version I use (Debian Unstable gs-esp 8+8.15rc4.dfsg.1-2) is far newer. The error message from rastertoz600 is 'Cannot Process Raster'.

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast