Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

I'm using Breezy now. I bought a Dell All-in-one 962 photo printer 2 weeks back. I found out by googling that Dell 962 is Lexmark X7170.
    I got the driver for Lexmark X7170 from this link.
    http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/i...7170_rev2.html

I ran alien filename as normal user (not as root). I then got the deb file. I then issued
    $sudo dpkg -i x7170llpddk_2.0-5_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 95758 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace x7170llpddk 2.0-5 (using x7170llpddk_2.0-5_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement x7170llpddk ...
    Setting up x7170llpddk (2.0-5) ...
    $

I then rebooted the system. When I went to add printer, I didn't see the driver under either Dell or Lexmark. I would appreciate if someone can help me.
    ===============================
    My Blog: http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/
    My Home: http://www.arun-prabha.com
    ===============================

Beans

I tried this methog and it did not work for me. I have a x1150 That I have never been able to get to work in linux. Here is what happens...

h3avyarms@ubuntu:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
    ./z600: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Everything works fine untill that step. I'm trying this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10 and the printer works fine under windows. If I ignore this and continue with the instructions it will say it is printing the test page but nothing happens, I really need some help here. TIA

Beans

Nevermind, If you change the margins it will work. Still no test page though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by h3avyarms
    I tried this methog and it did not work for me. I have a x1150 That I have never been able to get to work in linux. Here is what happens...

h3avyarms@ubuntu:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
    ./z600: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Everything works fine untill that step. I'm trying this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10 and the printer works fine under windows. If I ignore this and continue with the instructions it will say it is printing the test page but nothing happens, I really need some help here. TIA
    yeah...i got that too with breazy. you can go to

System ->Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

search for libstdc, and install version 5.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This works fine on my z700, but 1) It won't print with a one inch margin on the left side even if (as in OO.o) there is one; and 2) printing something from gvim is somewhat fine, but a bit of text is moved forward or backward (and it suffers from #1 too).

EDIT: Using OO.o 2.0 now prints out the left and right margins but the top margin now isn't there.
    Last edited by thestarslookdown; November 8th, 2005 at 08:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by black hole sun
    Code:
    $ mkdir lexmark
    $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended. 
    $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
    $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    $ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    $ sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    $ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
    $ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    $ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    HELP!!! I have Lexmark Z601, but can't get your procedure right!!

I figured I had to install alien, and I figured out how to move to the lexmark folder with the cd command.

but then, in the next step, sudo tar xv..etc.. following happens:

eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C
    tar: option requires an argument -- C
    Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
    eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$

What??

I type c (not capital):
    eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -c
    tar: Du kan ikke angi mer enn ett av «-Acdtrux»-flaggene #(you can't specify more than one of the Acdtrux flags- translated from norwegian.)

Could you help me through the basic steps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineSmile
    HELP!!! I have Lexmark Z601, but can't get your procedure right!!

I figured I had to install alien, and I figured out how to move to the lexmark folder with the cd command.

but then, in the next step, sudo tar xv..etc.. following happens:

eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C
    tar: option requires an argument -- C

What??

I type c (not capital):
    eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -c
    tar: Du kan ikke angi mer enn ett av «-Acdtrux»-flaggene #(you can't specify more than one of the Acdtrux flags- translated from norwegian.)

Could you help me through the basic steps?
    sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /

The trailing slash there is important, as -C refers to the corresponding directories.

Beans

eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ cd /usr/share/cups/model
    eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
    eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
    gunzip: Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz: No such file or directory
    eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$ /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pidfile `/var/run/cups/cupsd.pid' for writing: Permission denied (Permission denied)
    [ ok ]
    eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$

I made the bold typing. Next step?

If somebody has time enough to explain the next few steps with backports and stuff, so I can get my z601 up and running, I would be delighted. Was a bit more difficult than just cut and paste. Understanding where to be, where to put in the commands, where the stuff is installed, etc. is a bit more than I have been doing with my windows...

Beans

Finally!!
    Thanks so much...Not sure if I was doing something wrong with other ways I was trying that I found via Google.....but kept getting one error or another until I tried these instructions and Bingo....my z515 prints.
    Thanks again.

Beans

I reinstalled ubuntu to remove my windows partition and wanted to see if I could get this lexmark installing thingy working when starting with clean sheets..

What do you make of this? So close but so far.....

eine(username)@chello212186066182(my hostname):/usr/share/cups/model$ /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
    * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pidfile `/var/run/cups/cupsd.pid' for writing: Permission denied (Permission denied)
    [ ok ]
    eine@chello212186066182:/usr/share/cups/model$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
    eine@chello212186066182:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
    eine@chello212186066182:/usr/lib/cups/backend$
    Last edited by SunshineSmile; November 3rd, 2005 at 02:14 PM.

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast