Thread: set library include path

Beans
    Hidden!

set library include path

Dear all,

I have a problem. I have some library files in /home/ddd/mylibs/ . And I want to compile a program from another directory such that the compiler (g++) will automatically include my library files. But I don't know how to set the library include path in linux environment. Can anybody help me please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: set library include path

If you want the compiler to search a specific directory for libraries, use the '-L' option. For example, g++ -L/home/ddd/mylibs

Now, if you use the lower-case L option, the compiler will search /home/ddd/mylibs for the library name. So if you have a lib 'libmylib.so' in /home/ddd/mylibs, you could now run 'g++ -L/home/ddd/mylibs -lmylib' and the linking should include libmylib.so.

If you find that you are frequently using the -L option, check out the command ldconfig, or consider setting the environment variable 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'.

Does that help?

Beans
    Hidden!

How to set the environment variable?
    Sorry, I am quite new on this matter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You could also check man ldconfig so you could (temporary) add a directory to the library search path using:

Code:
    sudo ldconfig /path/to/my/usr/local/lib/
    Use ldconfig -p to print out all libraries (and their location) in the library search path

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wayanwolvie View Post
    How to set the environment variable?
    Sorry, I am quite new on this matter
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/ddd/mylibs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amo-ej1 View Post
    You could also check man ldconfig so you could (temporary) add a directory to the library search path using:

Code:
    sudo ldconfig /path/to/my/usr/local/lib/
    Use ldconfig -p to print out all libraries (and their location) in the library search path
    thanks, this worked. however how to remove a directory in case we don't need it anymore ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is too late to respond or not. Or it may help the next person.

I just downloaded the same program and ran into the same problem. However, I noticed libfmodex64.so was included in the install directory. I then found a script ts3client_runscript.sh that takes care of the library path for the user. I made my Custom Application Launcher point to that and had no problems.

David