Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

New User

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here, and to Ubuntu. Actually, I haven't even loaded it on my computer yet. I'm still reading and learning. I found you all here by total accident, but am glad I did!
    I'm in Appleton, Wi (of course) and was thrilled to find a WI site, much less a forum! Thank You for being here! I'm sure I will need lots of help, since I know just enough about computers to be considered dangerous, hehehe
    I'm a home user, and all self taught, so there are probably a lot of wholes in my computer education, so please be patient with me, k? (actually my sister is the real geek, I just do what she tells me to do, and have learned a little along the way)

K, my problem-i just tried to burn the Ubuntu 6.06.1 to a disk, and I tried to check the disk integrity, like it said on the site, I downloaded the PC(Intelx86)desktop cd, from this link: http://releases.ubuntu.com/dapper/
    and when i tried to boot to the cd, to check the integrity, I got nothing. My computer starts to load, gets to the self test/memory test window, stops for about 3 minutes, then goes on to load windows. So, I'm stopped in my tracks. Now, my guess is that I screwed up the iso burn to the cd, so now what do I do? Is there another way to verify the disk integrity? I still have the programs on the desktop, and I did verify the checksum before I tried to burn it, and that verified as fine/good to go.

I did go into my Bios, to make sure the boot to cd was listed before the hard drive, and it was, so I've done everything I know to do. And that leads me to you all!

This is my system: E-machine, (k, the only thing left on here that's e-machine is the case, I've completely replaced the hardware in here, except the processor, I kept that when I relpaced the mobo, but the power supply is new, the video card is newer pretty much everything, oh, the HD is still the same. I haven't decided if I should replace that, or just get another computer. This is an older computer, but she's tweaked to the max, and works great! It's an AMD, 1.7, running Win XP Pro, with a Gig of Ram (no overclocking on this) I'm trying to think if I need to tell you anything else, I know the more info you have, the better. Well, I guess that's it for hardware.
    These are the links that I got all the software from, I guess we should make sure I'm getting the right programs downloaded.
    http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...or=superb-east
    this is the recorder I got for burning the iso, like it said in the instructions
    this is the link to where I started
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
    this is the link to the checksum verification that I did
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    and here's the link to what I can't do
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...IntegrityCheck

So, this is where I am, I'm hoping you all can help me. Thanks sooooo much, I'm soooo glad you are here!
    wowie
    Last edited by uberushaximus; July 9th, 2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Links fixed :)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: New User

Hi again everyone,
    Well, I'm quite proud of myself! lol I went to square one, and checked the cd under good lighting, and sure enough, she had a very large scratch in it. It was obvious where the writing to the cd began and quit. So, I burned another disk, and this time it worked just fine. I have checked the disk integrity, and am now golden to do the install.
    I'm off to the other Ubuntu forums to learn what I may need to know, and what, if anything, I may need to do to make the install as easy as possible. Any advise any of you may have would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I have to tell you, I have the Microsoft Laser 6000 desktop set, and it would not work when I first put in the cd, I had no mouse, or keyboard to work with at all. I had to go back into my supplies and find a wired keyboard and mouse-both usb, before I was able to do anything in the boot window. These worked just fine, so I'm thinking that I will have to configure my mouse and keyboard to work in Ubuntu. (I'm not looking forward to that at all! It's one of the reasons I haven't gone to a Linux distro yet, don't like to have to configure all the drivers for the hardware) I just thought I'd let you know that, and everything else that goes on with this install.

Take care all, and thanks again for any help you may give me wowie

Beans

Good for you

I've always had problems with CDs I burn of ubuntu. I never have the issues with the shipit discs, so that's where I usually start

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi uberushaximus
    Well, thanks for answering me! Glad to have a response from someone. I just looked at you're profile, and you are waaaayyyyy ahead of me in Linux, I don't even know what you're distro is! hehehe Just curious, where is Richfleld? You know, just a general direction, you certainly don't have to give specific info.
    Well, I loaded the cd, on an older box I have laying around here, it's an old Pll, HP, that isn't altogether stable, she likes to freeze once in a while, not often, but it still does. And I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, but I'm kind of stymied right now. This old Pll only had a 4 gig hd, so I can't even do the updates on it, much less get into Synaptix. So, off I go to ebay to find a bigger hd for the box, then I will have to reload, but at least then I can run it, so I can get to know it.
    I also have another issue, my "working" box, it has a Nvidia graphics card-fx5200, and I've been reading about the issues with that, so I may have to use the VM in order to get it on this box, with Windows XP Pro on it. It's either that, or wait for another distro, that will have all these issues with the Nvidia cards solved.
    So, thanks again for answering my post, and have a great night! wowie

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nvidia is easy with Envy.
    Envy does all the setup work.
    I've used it on two PCs with Nvidia cards.
    When you install Ubuntu you'll probably get NV in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for a driver, then just get Envy from Synaptics. Run Envy and it will determine which Nvidia driver you need and install it for you.
    Just a caution:
    If you update the kernel you should first uninstall the Nvidia driver then reinstall it after the kernel update.

You'll get better specific support and info in the other categories of UbuntuForums. Search for Nvidia for example and you'll find lots of suggestions. Alberto Milone wrote Envy and would probably help you with issues if he recognized the thread title as an Nvidia issue.

Think outside the cheese

A question though Wowie,
    Why would you install 6.06 rather than 7.04?
    Last edited by ridgeland; July 10th, 2007 at 03:55 AM. Reason: added a question.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wowie View Post
    where is Richfleld? You know, just a general direction, you certainly don't have to give specific info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richfie...y%2C_Wisconsin

Well, I loaded the cd, on an older box I have laying around here, it's an old Pll, HP, that isn't altogether stable, she likes to freeze once in a while, not often, but it still does. And I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, but I'm kind of stymied right now. This old Pll only had a 4 gig hd, so I can't even do the updates on it, much less get into Synaptix. So, off I go to ebay to find a bigger hd for the box, then I will have to reload, but at least then I can run it, so I can get to know it.
    First off, I'd use xubuntu on that box, or fluxbox as a window manager

I also have another issue, my "working" box, it has a Nvidia graphics card-fx5200, and I've been reading about the issues with that, so I may have to use the VM in order to get it on this box, with Windows XP Pro on it. It's either that, or wait for another distro, that will have all these issues with the Nvidia cards solved.
    So, thanks again for answering my post, and have a great night! wowie
    According to this your card should work just fine on feisty fawn.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeland View Post
    Nvidia is easy with Envy.
    Envy does all the setup work.
    I've used it on two PCs with Nvidia cards.
    When you install Ubuntu you'll probably get NV in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for a driver, then just get Envy from Synaptics. Run Envy and it will determine which Nvidia driver you need and install it for you.
    Just a caution:
    If you update the kernel you should first uninstall the Nvidia driver then reinstall it after the kernel update.

You'll get better specific support and info in the other categories of UbuntuForums. Search for Nvidia for example and you'll find lots of suggestions. Alberto Milone wrote Envy and would probably help you with issues if he recognized the thread title as an Nvidia issue.

Think outside the cheese

A question though Wowie,
    Why would you install 6.06 rather than 7.04?
    I personally dislike envy, however, whatever floats your boat though. I find this cleaner.
    Last edited by uberushaximus; July 11th, 2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added second message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi Wowie

Welcome to the group. I live in Neenah and if I can be of help please let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi uberushaximus,
    Thanks for the tips, things have changed quite a lot around here, since I last posted. First I decided to put the LiveCD into another older box that I had laying around here, but I ran into hard drive issues, it was too small, so I had to wait to get another hd, and still couldn't install, so now I'm running this in a vm, on my daily use box. No, I didn't figure that one out myself, my son has been a Linux fan for a long time, and he walked me thru the install of the vmplayer, and then the install of Ubuntu. Works great! I must say! So now I am playing in here, and so far, liking this distro very much. Also, I'm on this distro because my sister is, the one I mentioned earlier, so we are learning together. Actually, she's just waiting for me to catch up, hehehehe I'm working on it!

And, I wanted to say a big HELLO to herteljt, I was born and raised in Neenah! Thanks for the offer of help, Thanks to all of you!

K, now here's my new issue, and I am looking on the main forum site for this answer, but you know forums, if you don't word you're search just so, you won't easily find the info you may need. I need to configure my Microsoft Laser 6000 mouse. I actually have the desktop set, but keyboard is working fine, mouse doesn't. It's a 5 button mouse, and I need to configure the thumb button to work, as a back button, (geeze I miss my back button!) and my scroll wheel is acting sluggish-sometimes it will scroll just fine, other times I have to use my pointer to move pages up and down. Does anyone have any links to send, to help me with this? I will be looking on the forums today for this too, but shooting me in the right direction would be most helpful. Thanks sooo much

Now, just to give you an idea of how far I'm not in here, this vmplayer just went in on Friday night, and all I got done yesturday was getting firefox in here, and doing a little bit on the desktop, just so it's set to my liking. Oh, and I did do updates yesturday-145 of them! I was impressed, on Windows that would have taken a couple of hours, on here it took less than 6 minutes!!!! I have to say, so far I'm liking this very much! Oh, and does anyone know about SwiftFox, and Swiftweasel? I've been reading a lot about them in the forums, some say they are much faster, some say not, and have lots of trouble with them. I just have Firefox 1.5.0.12 in here, and I'm not complaining at all. Works great, nice and fast for me.

Anyway, I will check back more often now, sorry I didn't check back and say Hi, at least while I was working out all the other things I had to do.
    Thanks again all! wowie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi ridgeland,
    hehehehehe, lmfao, "Think outside the cheese"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi all,
    Well, I've been all over the forums, found a whole bunch of info on how to set up my mouse in here. Mostly I've learned that I don't need to get imwheel, that I can configure my mouse thru Xorg.config. Only, how do I get to this file???? I've tried to search for it, (do I have to configure my search some special way? Every time I use it, I get no files found???) and I don't know how to find it. Everyone says the same thing, just to do some script changes in this file, only I'm so green, that I don't have a clue how to find anything in here yet! hehehe I keep reading the forums, but really, I have to tell you, it might as well be written in greek! I'm a baby here, and I need someone to help me with my crawling! So, If anyone could tell me, how to get to my Xorg.config file, to do the changes that I need to do in it, geeze, would I ever appreciate it. I'm going to go into Ubuntu, thru my vm, and try to get the links that I have been on, just so you know exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks, wowie

http://ubuntuforums.com/community/Peripherals

http://ubuntuforums.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

http://blog.blackdown.de/2005/03/01/tilt-wheel-mouse/

(I used to have a logitech mouse, that had a tilt-wheel, that I used for my back button, just push to the left, and boom, you go back a page, or however many you want. This mouse has a tilt-wheel, and a back/thumb button, but if I could get the tilt-wheel configured to work as my actual back button, hey, happiness would be my name! lol Any ideas on that one?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast