Thread: GLUT vs. FreeGLUT

Beans

GLUT vs. FreeGLUT

Hi all, just a quick Q

Should I be using Glut 3.7, or has this been taken over by FreeGLUT?

Specifically full-screen gameglut in glut 3.7 seems to be broken (or is it just me?). Usual story- can't find any documentation after 1999/2000

Anyway ideas? anyone?

Beans

Re: GLUT vs. FreeGLUT

As far as I know, nothing much has been done with GLUT per se since about 1999 (anyone else know differently?) But I've been happily using freeGlut for many years now, and I like it. It seems to faithfully implement the GLUT 3.7 features, plus add a few extensions of its own.

Beans

That's great- thanks very much for the reply!

Beans

Actually is freeglut still maintained?

I've done some googling and from what I gather gamemode is broken on it and has been for some years now, as has keyboard handling. Can you (or anyone) confirm? What should I use in that case for full-screen 3d applications?

Beans

SDL is great for OpenGL. I prefer it over GLUT because it's less restrictive (you control the flow, you don't pass it over like with GLUT).

It handles events and also offers some stuff in the area of timing/texture loading/2d graphics/audio

SDL is also super-portable and very commonly used.

PS: SDL has a working fullscreen mode

Beans

Thanks for the tip Wybiral, think you might be onto a winner

have been going through some sample progs and looks quite nice

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Wybiral View Post
    SDL is great for OpenGL. I prefer it over GLUT because it's less restrictive (you control the flow, you don't pass it over like with GLUT).

It handles events and also offers some stuff in the area of timing/texture loading/2d graphics/audio

SDL is also super-portable and very commonly used.

PS: SDL has a working fullscreen mode
    GLUT was originally to get a window open as fast as possible with least amount of code possible (for quick OpenGL programs) and for simple keyboard interface ...

SDL on the other hand is designed to be used more extensively

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slavik View Post
    GLUT was originally to get a window open as fast as possible with least amount of code possible (for quick OpenGL programs) and for simple keyboard interface ...

SDL on the other hand is designed to be used more extensively
    Maybe, but still, SDL isn't hard to set up either...

And with all the extras it has, I'd say it's the way to go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexThomson_NZ View Post
    Actually is freeglut still maintained?

I've done some googling and from what I gather gamemode is broken on it and has been for some years now, as has keyboard handling. Can you (or anyone) confirm?
    I've got several freeGLUT-based projects in progress now, on several platforms (Ubuntu, Windows XP, Mac OS X -- though it has its own implementation of GLUT), and I've never seen problems with fullscreen mode (don't know if that's all you mean by "gamemode" though) or keyboard handling.

But as someone else mentioned, GLUT in all its versions is designed to make bare-bones windows and input available easily, which is all I want out of it. If you want to build a serious user interface, something else might be better -- I've never used SDL, but what's been said about it here is interesting enough that I think I'll look into it....