Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonna buy a router

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Gonna buy a router

Stay clear of Netgear in general!
    I've had a few and they all regularly just chokes up and need restarts. Now I've got a WGT624v3 and whenenver I connect my Linux and windows comps over wireless at the same time it's only a question of time before the wireless just shuts down and won't accept connections w/o restart. Especially if there're torrent proggies running on either of the comps...

I've tried a fair share of D-links as well and my theory is that of Janet and Michael Jackson. Same crap, different makeup...

Just my 2€-cents...
    Cheers
    N

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

http://ipcop.org/
    http://www.freesco.org/

get an old box with nice lan cards and put some of these on it
    freesco runs entirely from a floppy and you don't even need a CD amd HDD...
    ipcop is bigger, installs from CD on a HDD, but is extremely easy to set up and has a very nice and full web interface (just like a "normal" router)
    Registered Linux User #405106

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamella View Post
    After burning another router because of unstable power, I bought a D link and I have to say...

It really sucks, so I reccomend you not to buy that
    Ha - Thats pretty funny.
    Squealed like a little girl he did.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_toxic View Post
    http://ipcop.org/
    http://www.freesco.org/

get an old box with nice lan cards and put some of these on it
    freesco runs entirely from a floppy and you don't even need a CD amd HDD...
    ipcop is bigger, installs from CD on a HDD, but is extremely easy to set up and has a very nice and full web interface (just like a "normal" router)
    Used to be a great option - nowadays it`s a waste of time. Why would you bother when you can buy a small compact device that will do switching and wireless as well with no moving parts and low power consumption.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by afljafa View Post
    Why would you bother when you can buy a small compact device that will do switching and wireless as well with no moving parts and low power consumption.
    Reliability ? More security ? More features ?

Somewhere in the future I'm gonna build myself a box with http://www.routerboard.com/ products.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Reliability ? More security ? More features ?

Somewhere in the future I'm gonna build myself a box with http://www.routerboard.com/ products.
    Doubtful - Most people chuck the software on dodgy second hand boxes with inefficient power supplies - Hardly reliable. Features wise they tend to be quite simplistic by comparison to some of the better routers out there.

The Mikrotik software shits all over IPCOP - Monowall etc but the routerboards are so under powered its hardly worth it. Goes much better on a something like a Via mini-itx motherboard.

Beans

Doubtful - Most people chuck the software on dodgy second hand boxes with inefficient power supplies - Hardly reliable. Features wise they tend to be quite simplistic by comparison to some of the better routers out there.
    If they use dodgy boxes then it is their problem.

The Mikrotik software shits all over IPCOP - Monowall etc but the routerboards are so under powered its hardly worth it. Goes much better on a something like a Via mini-itx motherboard.
    I don't see the routerboard products as lacking power when compared to off the shelf stuff, just compare cpu & ram etc. The Via mini-itx would do a great job but at a price and you will need a pci riser card for expansion of eth ports etc.

Beans

I've got a routerboard running here at home, it's quite good.
    I've loaded up dd-wrt on a flash card, everything seems to work perfectly.
    Had I of spent a bit more, I would've got a VIA eden.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    If they use dodgy boxes then it is their problem.

I don't see the routerboard products as lacking power when compared to off the shelf stuff, just compare cpu & ram etc. The Via mini-itx would do a great job but at a price and you will need a pci riser card for expansion of eth ports etc.
    Just check the forums - alot of people wont use the stuff because it simply doesn`t perform particulary well - especialy when it comes to the wireless side of things. Simple routing is fine - but encryption (pptp - ipsec etc cant really be done). Plus - by the time you put it in a box and buy a power supply and perhaps a wireless card something like a Zywall would be much better value and will give you more options like virus scanning and IDS if you want to go that far.
    Last edited by afljafa; July 8th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12