Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mousetweaks testing feedback thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

mousetweaks testing feedback thread

Hello,

The mousetweaks are being implemented as a Google Summer of Code project. The mousetweaks offer systemwide dwelling and delayclick (i.e. opening the contextual menu with a left click and hold).

You can find version 0.1.0 on the developers blog. However, I will attach a more recent version to this post, namely version 0.1.2.

Please keep in mind that this software is currently in development and consequently may not work properly. If you decide to use it, it is at your own risk.

Nevertheless, if you are trying it, don't hesitate to post any comments or suggestions.

Here are a few known issues:
    - dwelling ctw mode: grab icon does not always show up; for example it does not show up on the scrollbar
    - gesture mode: cannot open programs from within applications menu; this is a major show stopping.
    - delay click does not work in Firefox, but works in epiphany

Francesco

PS: You have to compile the mousetweaks yourself, as there is no debian package available yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: mousetweaks implementation feedback thread

Hello,

A few words about how to compile and install it. You need an user account with administrative privileges to do it. Please consider that I don't have a complete knowledge about this. Consequently, the instructions below might contain errors. If you use them, it is at your own risk.

1) First you have to install the packages needed for compilation. Open the Synaptic Package Manager and install the following packages:

build-essential
    libgconf2-dev
    libglade2-dev
    libpanel-applet2-dev
    libatspi-dev
    libdbus-glip-1-dev

2) Uncompress the source archive posted above by double clicking on it. An archive manager should start to help you uncompress it.

3) Now it should be possible to compile it without errors by doing the following:

- open the terminal
    - change the working directory of the terminal to the uncompressed mousetweaks folder. You can do it this way: type "cd" without quotes followed by a space in the terminal; take the uncompressed archive, drop it onto the terminal and the path to the archive will automatically appear in the terminal; hit the return key on the keyboard. The working directory of the terminal should now be set to the uncompressed archive; you should see its path in the terminal left to the cursor.
    - type "./configure" without quotes in the terminal and hit return. Wait until you see the cursor on a new prompt and check whether there is no error in the last lines before the prompt. If there is no error, you can continue, other you have to correct the error before continuing.
    - type "make" without quotes in the terminal and hit return. Wait until you see the cursor on a new prompt and check whether there is no error in the last lines before the prompt. If there is no error, you can continue, other you have to correct the error before continuing.
    - type "sudo make install" without quotes in the terminal and hit return; you will be asked for your password. Wait until you see the cursor on a new prompt and check whether there is no error in the last lines before the prompt. If there is no error, everything is set up now.

The mousetweaks have been installed in the Accessibility and in the Accessories menu under the Applications menu. You can start using them.

Francesco

PS: To uninstall the mousetweaks, you have to use the terminal again:
    - open the terminal
    - change the working directory of the terminal to the uncompressed mousetweaks folder
    - type "sudo make uninstall" without quotes in the terminal and hit return

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello,

I have built a debian package of the mousetweaks-0.1.2. After downloading it, do a double click on the downloaded package to start its installation.

However, be aware that it is the first debian package that I have ever built and don't know whether it works as it should. If you are going to use it, it is at your own risk.

Francesco
    Last edited by frafu; July 11th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi!
    I tried your deb pack on another pc and worked smooth and clean!
    nice job!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@sach87

Thanks for the confirmation that it works.

Francesco

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: mousetweaks testing feedback thread

The developer Gerd Kohlberger has posted an updated version, namely mousetweaks-0.1.4.

Here are the changes that have been made since version 0.1.2.
    * use gnome mouse icon and honor current theme
    * add 'Disable' option to dwell gesture menus
    * don't allow impossible gesture settings
    * improve warning dialogs
    * fix: bug in the ctw context menu
    * fix: under certain conditions disabling and reenabling
    dwell-click failed
    * set dialog type hint for ctw and preferences

Below in this post, you will find a package with the source code posted by the developer and a debian package that I built from that source code and that is targeted for Ubuntu Feisty. As before, if you decide to use it, it is at your own risk.

Francesco

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello,

The developer has discovered a dialogue bug and fixed it; however without changing the version number.

I will attach his updated source and the debian package that I derived from it. If you decide to use them, it is at your own risk.

Have a nice day.

Francesco

Beans

Hi there frafu, I tried to compile 1.4 and got;
    ./configure
    configure: error: No cspi-1.0 package information found

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello,

You have to install the following libraries in order to be able to compile the mousetweaks:

libgconf2-dev
    libgtk2.0-dev
    libglade2-dev
    libpanel-applet2-dev
    libatspi-dev
    libdbus-glib-1-dev

Especially for your error, I think that it is libatspi-dev that is missing.

Francesco

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello,

An updated version of mousetweaks has appeared; namely 0.1.6.

New features:

* dwelling drag click now shows a drag cursor
    * gnome-help support (no actual documentation)

More details in the ChangeLog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast