Beans

Re: Apple Intel Users FAQ

Thanks for the info!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo View Post
    Is there a HowTo for MacBook keyboard configuration in other languages different from GB or US ?
    I have a belgian/french (it's exactly the same on apple computer) keyboard and I configure it this way:
    http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic...914540#p914540

it works from feisty up to hardy beta

Beans

I think this line in the Ubuntu MacBook WIKI needs to be updated:

"If necessary, use Boot Camp to resize your OSX partition and make space for Ubuntu. Don't waste a CD creating a Windows driver disk. Reboot."

AFAIK, users who still run Tiger and have not already installed Boot Camp, will not be able to install it, because the license has expired, and OSX won't load it. We will need to know how to resize the OSX partition without using Boot Camp. I think GParted can do this, but I'm not sure.

Paul in Seattle

Beans

Hmm, does seem to be a valid point, I forgot the license expired already.

Yes gparted can resize unjournaled partition but in reduction only. If there isn't a note already, I think it's a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you can still use the commandline in OSX Tiger. "diskutil resizeVolume".

gparted is also an option as stated.

Beans

Smile Re: Apple Intel Users FAQ

Which Ubuntu ISO to install on MacBook Pro Intel 2.4 GHz 4GB RAM (hopefully this is Santa Rosa), I am not sure if the download option provided at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download for 64 Bit AMD and Intel is the right one?

Beans
    Hidden!

Doesn't matter, the Core 2 Duo can run as either x86 or x86_64 (amd64), so just pick whichever suits your fancy. There is plenty of hot debate on which is the "better" structure, but generally speaking, x86 (32-bit) is more common, x86_64 (amd64)(64-bit) can be "faster." I strongly suggest doing a bit of research to see which structure more fits your computing usage.

But anyways, just out of curiosity, 4GB? I thought the max our chipset supported was 3GB? I recently threw in a 2GB stick next to my original 1GB and thought that was as far as I could max it (never use it all anyways, gotta love linux). And AFAIK the Santa Rosa is the latest (last 1-2 years, not sure about that, been at least since last August since that's when I got mine) generation of MBP.

Also, on the Boot Camp issue. All one has to do to get it to work (assuming you still have the Boot Camp Beta .dmg somewhere, if not, I'm sure there's all sorts of shady torrents for it) is set the system clock back to September 2007.

Beans

8.04 on Macbook Pro ATI Catalyst Control Center won't open

I've installed Hardy on my first generation Macbook Pro and would like to be able to use an external monitor and connect to LCD projectors. I followed the instructions on the Macbook Pro Community Documentation page and have successfully (see below) installed the most recent fglrx driver (ATI Proprietary).

My problem is that the ATI Catalyst Control Center (Applications-->Accessories) fails to launch when I click on it. I've tried reinstalling it and also running it via Alt+F2 with no success.

When I verify the driver using "fglrxinfo" I get this:
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7415 Release

And when I use this "glxinfo | grep direct" I get:
    direct rendering: Yes

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Beans

I have a macbook pro, I need know how I instaler ubuntu in my laptop??, please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yinetglez View Post
    I have a macbook pro, I need know how I instaler ubuntu in my laptop??, please
    It depends on what version Macbook Pro you have, but here are the guides:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro/SantaRosa
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro/Penryn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast