Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten List of Software YOU Need in Ubuntu Linux

Beans

Top Ten List of Software YOU Need in Ubuntu Linux

I posted this little brochure on my blog of what I feel the most important applications I use in Ubuntu (aside from the pre-installed ones) are. Maybe those new to Ubuntu might find it helpful.

http://www.hexydes.com/index.php?opt...id=42&Itemid=9

Feel free to leave comments if you think I missed anything! I'm still pretty new myself, so I'm always looking for new software! Also, Digg the story up if you like it; you never can have too many Ubuntu stories hit the front page of Digg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Top Ten List of Software YOU Need in Ubuntu Linux

You listed Nero as item #6. Why would I need it? K3B is an excellent application that does all I need better than Nero.

Beans

Yeah, really tough call. As nice as K3B is, I do think that Nero is a bit more polished, and I seem to have a bit more success with it. Certainly, if you don't want to shell out the $30 for Nero, K3B is not going to be a disappointment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So you are saying that Nero is better than K3B enough to pay £15?

I don't think so, after using both.

(WHY DOES K3B HAVE TO BE KDE )
    registered linux user 426057

Beans

In my opinion, yes, but I suppose that would depend what that amount of money was worth to you. If I was back in school again, writing this same list, K3B likely would have beat Nero out.

Beans

I'm not sure that Azureus is the best BT client for *nix. I usually use Deluge, although KTorrent is also a nice option for KDM users. I've always found Azureus way too clunky. Also, uTorrent works quite well through Wine.

EDIT: Also, I've always been fond of Zim for ToDo lists and organization, although BasKet and TomTom are popular choices as well.
    Last edited by illu45; July 6th, 2007 at 02:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beryl at #1? Admittedly, it's a very pretty window manager, but until it's stable and supported on a range of hardware, I don't think it's a "must have."
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

Do you have any recomendation to substitute my windows "wordpress" for i use in ubuntu? Seems so cool if we can modificating blog from ubuntu too.

Beans
    Hidden!

for the software I MUST have I find it interesting I use only one of those programs and am indescribably happy with my ubnutu experience ;p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

do window managers count as apps... here we go

#1 fluxbox... anything else is just a toy
    #2 midnight commander
    #3 rtorrent
    #4 Eterm
    #5 Conky (replace with SuperKaramba if running a kde system)
    #6 Firefox (default with ubuntu but not kubuntu, so its not a default app for me)
    #7 mplayer, mplayer plugin for mozilla, and xine-ui ( i use xine to watch videos that are on my pc, and the mplayer plugin for watching videos and listening to mp3s in firefox)
    #8 thats actually about it for programs i cant live without... i could also add to this list, CenterICQ
    #9 mpd with ncmpc
    #10 leafpad (for those times when you just dont want to deal with nano or vi

i no longer have a need for apps like kopete, k3b and amarok since i started using more cli ncurses apps like centericq, ncmpc, and the standard command line tools for cd ripping and iso burning

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast