Thread: Remorse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Remorse - Working Title

"In a universe where mankind has become the hunted, it is vital they do not discover your origins"

You are Wynn Hale, a direct descendant of the fabled Mortae.
    When the Rrang find Azurea, our new home, human survival is again unclear.

Storyline:
    (Events before the actual game)

In July, 1947, a Droma spacecraft crash landed on Earth. The US Army quickly seized the wreckage along with the alien bodies and erased all evidence of the crash. The US Army studied the aliens and their technology for years until a Droma search and rescue craft located the distress beacon aboard the earlier craft.

The leader of the second craft made first contact with the commander of the Roswell Army Airfield on May 14, 1956. The Droma presented themselves as a peaceful race in search of other such peaceful worlds. After the US releases the Droma craft, the Droma and the US sign a secret peace treaty. As a sign of good faith, the Droma provided the US with some of their technology.

However, the Droma only appeared to be peaceful and were in fact, planning Earth's demise. Quel-Droma was overpopulated and the Droma were searching for new places to expand. Planets like Earth and Quel-Droma are very hard to find so when the Droma found Earth, they decided to conquer it.

For years the Droma worked on plans to conquer Earth. The Droma decided to take their time so as to prevent the Earth being destroyed by nuclear weapons in a massive war. The Droma decided to turn the Earth's population against itself.

Over the next hundred years, war destroyed Earth's population and the Droma were behind it all. The Droma had decided to instigate wars between neighboring countries in an effort to break down the population of Earth.

On January 2, 2059, after shooting down an attacking craft, the French discovered the Droma and exactly what they were up to. As soon as the Droma learned of the lost craft, they decided to make an all out attack. By this time, the Droma had amassed large forces out of view of Earth. It only took the Droma 6 days to get their forces in position. Over the next 6 days, billions died. One of the last surviving outposts was in Leiden, The Netherlands. This last group, in a final effort to kill as many Droma as possible, infected themselves with a man made virus called SDIV-024. These brave people were called the Mortea They succeeded in killing millions of Droma. Even so, the war only lasted 12 days.

During the invasion, the Droma took many slaves. The human slaves were put on prison ships bound for work camps and medical stations. The slaves managed to take over some of the prison ships, and discovered a new world of their own. They called the new world Azurea. The survivors made a new life for themselves. Over the next 300 years, Azurea became the last free human colony and it's existence was unknown to the Droma.

Now in 2365, a rumor exists that tells a tale of a surviving Mortae. If this rumor is true, the descendants of such a survivor would be key in producing a virus that would kill the Droma, and producing a cure for the humans.

The leaders of Azurea have been sending small scouting ships to other planets in search of new places to colonize. You are on one of these ships when it is found and attacked by the Droma. Facing overwhelming numbers, your captain decides surrender is the only option. Now as a prisoner on a Droma ship on your way to an interrogation center, you must insure the secrecy of Azurea.
    Subject to change.

Media:

Engine Screenshots:

NOTE:: The content you see on these screenshots are placeholders and are not our own.

Models:

NOTE:: These are all work in progress and only 1 is currently skinned.

Info:

Genre: FPS
    Release: TBA
    Developer: Phenomena Games
    Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX
    Engine: Existence 2

OpenSource

Forums: http://www.phenomenagames.com/exforum
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Dean92; January 10th, 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Remorse

Any thoughts?,

I've probably been unclear, but I'm part of the development team and we'd like some feedback from the community.
    We're aiming for a native Linux, Windows and Mac OS X client.

Update:

Posted by: admin
    4 July 2007

If you want to keep in touch with us, the Remorse project now has an IRC channel on the FreeNode channel. I can't promise we are there 24/7, but you can give it a try. So for the people who didn't get it:

IRC server: chat.freenode.net
    channel: #remorse
    Source: http://www.phenomenagames.com/

Dean.
    Last edited by Dean92; July 5th, 2007 at 01:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I think it looks really good. ^_^

From what I can tell this is aimed to be a good looking multiplatfom game with a plot?
    It would be nice to see something other than a multiplayer fps game for once. ;p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks hikaricore,

It is indeed intended as a multiplatform game.
    Singleplayer is our nr 1 priority, but it will most probably also have a multiplayer feature.

A good story is one of the best features a game can have atleast, that's what I think.
    So we're making the story a big part of the game.

Dean.
    Last edited by Dean92; July 5th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Well, the screenshots look incredible, but I think I may need to update my graphics card before I can even hope to play it at a reasonable FPS! Is the Existence engine related to Doom 3, perchance? I remember Doom 3, everything looked very shiny, which kind of annoyed me after a while, as it even affected the character models. I'd prefer a more 'organic' look, in all honesty - I don't think the shininess suits dark areas, particularly if they're supposed to be decrepit and scary.

Beans

Impressive work Dean. This looks pretty exciting as we have a couple of great opensource multiplayer FPS games, but I can't think of any with a strong single player game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

@Tomosaur: Ty, depends on your GFX card, I can run it pretty well without lighting on my Geforce 2.
    And an nVidia 7800 GTX often gets a FPS of over 100, and we still have alot of optimising to do.
    Also, our teamleader has an ATi 9800 PRO and he gets around 40 FPS.

The connection with the Doom3 engine is there in the way that our coder looks at the way the D3 engine does things and uses that as a base design.

@rentonj7: Ty
    Although I have to say not much of my work can be seen ingame as of yet.
    I'm the modeller and I do the 3D models->Characters. This will change in our next techdemo when we'll have our own enemies/weapons/sound etc ingame.

Dean.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

looks great!
    keep up the good work
    Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Zis is not nuts. Zis is supernuts!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like it could be a great game which many ppl will enjoy. I'm looking forward for some news.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

this looks really good. Def. something ill be keeping my eye on in the future.