View Poll Results: Will You be Attending the Install Fest?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helper

9 81.82%
  • Installee

2 18.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Install Fest -- Saturday July 21st

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ubuntu Install Fest -- Saturday July 21st

With thanks to Marco for offering and scheduling the space over at the Loyola College Center for Community Informatics, we will be holding our initial Ubuntu Install Fest. This will take place on July 21st from 10am-3pm.

While not required, please post here or contact me privately with your intentions of attending either as a helper or as an installee so we can get a rough head count.

If you wish to meet in person before the event please feel free to attend our July 19th meeting at the Howard County Central Library at 7pm.

As well as the install fest we'll be doing a GPG/PGP keysigning at about 2pm for those interested.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them here or the mailing list.

Loyola College Center for Community Informatics
    8890 McGaw Rd
    Columbia, MD 21045

*The only topic that will be banned from discussion will be the ending to the new Harry Potter book!
    Last edited by ChuckFrain; July 3rd, 2007 at 03:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Ubuntu Install Fest -- Saturday July 21st

I've signed up as a helper but I'm still relatively new to Linux. I've been using it for less than a year now. I've installed Ubuntu about 15 times, so I can follow instructions fairly well but I can't do a lot of hacking without a manual next to me. So I'm hoping to learn something from you guys. I may also bring my wife's laptop as well. The last time I tested the Ubuntu LiveCD on it, it locked up.

Secondly, I've never done a keysigning. What do I need to bring? Just a printout of my key fingerprint? How does this process work? I've looked at the info in the wiki but it didn't help much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I will be dragging a friend to the fest with me. He will be interested in getting ubuntu on his machine as dual boot. None of the live CDs will start x on his system and I've tried all the options on the live CD. I have not tried the alternate CD yet, but I figure this could be good for him/us.

I will be there as a helper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Any help is good help.

As far as the keysigning, all you need is a printout of your fingerprint and valid ID. If your key is on the servers that makes it easy, otherwise you have to mail your key to those who wish to sign it.

As for the process, those who wish to exchange signatures have to show id and make/get a copy of your fingerprint. If they are satisfied they will sign your key from thier home machine and send you the signed key back or upload it to the servers.

In my case I have business cards that I printed off the printer with my name, email, fingerprint, keyserver and a check box that you saw valid id.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

By the way, I missed the last meeting, so I apologize if this was discussed but what type of advertising/promotion has been done for the install fest? I've contacted the equivalent of the "Computer Science" club at Hood College here in Frederick but I haven't yet heard a response. Have other local schools been contacted?

Beans

I am planning to attend. I have installed Kubuntu/Ubuntu on about 10 workstations, 2 dual boot laptops and a number of servers and I am still learning. I plan to help anyway I can.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I voted Helper. I've been thinking about installing ubuntu on a Sun Sparc Ultra 2.

Beans

Is the July 19 meeting a club meeting? I have been interested in meeting people who run Linux and Ubuntu. I converted to Linux a few months ago and so far I am very happy. But I can stand to learn more as I am self taught and have gotten all my information from several books and the Forum. Would be nice to have discussions with live people and to see how things are done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Squid_blk View Post
    Is the July 19 meeting a club meeting? I have been interested in meeting people who run Linux and Ubuntu. I converted to Linux a few months ago and so far I am very happy. But I can stand to learn more as I am self taught and have gotten all my information from several books and the Forum. Would be nice to have discussions with live people and to see how things are done.
    Yes, July 19 will be an in-person meeting at the Howard County Library's Central Branch. You can find all of the information on our team wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam

Talking to people face-to-face is definitely a lot more fun than in the forums. Hope to see you there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Squid_blk View Post
    Yes, we will be live and in person on the 19th at the Howard County Central Library.

The two topics we wil lbe focusing on during the meeting will be some discussion about Software Freedom day and the Install Fest on the 21st.

Although the website has not been updated I believe that BaltoLUG is having a meeting on Tuesday at the Borders in Timonium (Seeing that you are in Baltimore).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast