Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking [SOLVED] Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

Huge EDIT!:

Taken from the Direct2Dell site:

Dell Ubuntu Systems Launching in Canada and Latin America
    Thu. Feb. 21, 2008

Several new developments on the Linux front today.

We're introducing Ubuntu 7.10-based Dell systems in Canada and Latin America. Beyond that, we're introducing the Inspiron 1525n to customers in the United States. Like Daniel mentioned earlier this week, the 1525n is already available to customers in the U.K., Spain, France and Germany. All of these systems will include built-in DVD playback capability.

Lots of customers like Jimmy and Simon have asked for Ubuntu support in Canada. Now Dell Canada customers can order the Inspiron 1525n, XPS M1330n and the Inspiron 530 desktop. More information is here: http://www.dell.ca/open

In Latin America, initially we will offer the Inspiron 1525n and the Inspiron 530n desktop to customers in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Right now, customers can order systems via phone by clicking on that country and clicking the Sales Support, then Call Sales. Systems will be availble online to Latin American customers in the coming weeks. See this post in DellenDirecto for more details.

Update, February 22:These Ubuntu systems are available across Latin America, not just the countries I listed above.
    Anyways, I'm considering this thread SOLVED!
    Well I have been, for the last month or so, getting on Dell's nerves trying to find out that wonderful question of how to apply for a Windows OEM refund, as this is one of the only factors I need to know before I buy my laptop. Every time I called customer service, I heard the same story of how it is a free gift, or that they do not refund it, etc...

well we shouldn't be believing that should we?

Anyways after going through Dell Canada's terms and conditions of sale, I found out that it does indeed state that operating systems can be refunded...

essentially the Dell Canada terms and conditions state the following:

Dell's policies and process section 7:
    "...Customer agrees that it will be bound by the license agreement once the package is opened or its seal is broken. Dell does not warrant any software under this Agreement. Warranties, if any, for the software are contained in the license agreement that governs its purchase and use."
    Total Satisfaction Return Policy:
    "...You may return software for a refund or credit only if the sealed package containing the floppy disk(s) or CD(s) is unopened. For customers who want to return, for refund or credit only, either application or operating system software that has been installed by Dell, the whole system must be returned, along with any media and documentation that may have been included in the original shipment."
    Dell's software license agreement:
    "...By opening or breaking the seal on the Software packet(s), installing or downloading the Software, or using the Software that has been preloaded or is embedded in your product, you agree to be bound by the terms of this agreement. If you do not agree to these terms, promptly return all Software items (disks, written materials, and packaging) and delete any preloaded or embedded Software."

On June 28th, I got a response back from Dell customer service...Here is the response:

"Dear Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care.

We do offer a refund for the return of the Operating System. The procedure is as follows: Upon receipt of the system do not turn it on. If you have turned on the system and agreed to the first popup screen then we can no longer return the software. Call Customer Care without turning on the system and advise that you want to return the Operating System. Customer Care will contact our Head Office, who will send a letter of destruction to you to sign and send back. You will have to send back the sticker that has the product key on it as well, and delete the software, which our Technical Support department can help you with. The credit per license comes to $25 dollars as it is an OEM product.

If you have any further questions please let me know."
    Now while I argue that $25 for the license is kinda low, as I am sure that it varies depending on the version of windows that came installed, the more important part is that Dell has finally acknowledged that it can, and does do operating system refunds.

As far as other software such as Microsoft System Works, I presume that the procedure will be exactly the same.

While these terms and conditions were taken directly from Dell Canada, they may not apply to citizens of other countries. It is best advised to check out the terms and conditions and find out if these refund policies are applicable.

I'll post back if I receive any further information regarding the Windows refund procedure, and the process that I had to take when I buy my laptop in August. Essentially the goal here is to find a method that can be streamlined and used by others without having to waste hours of their day.

- Kevin
    Last edited by octopuskevin; February 26th, 2008 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dell and the Windows refund policy [Canada] a step forwards!

Good job finding all this out

I thought OEM windows was 10$, so 25$ is pretty good.

Beans
    Distro

well here is the latest of the email's that I have received back from Dell... unfortunately this is from June 28th, so I may have to start the email process all over again.

It would be great if people would be able to start doing this with their own locale Dell, and post the results in this thread, or make a new one called something like "viva la Windows refund! DELL"

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care.

I am not able to answer all of your questions at this time, as the policies are not clearly set out here as well. I have communicated this to my manager and the questions have been sent up the line to find out exactly what the answers are.

I do have some answers for you. With regard to your first question, it is Customer Care that you have to call. My manager is working on getting a process email sent to the entire department so that you won't run into the issue of an agent not being aware of the policy. My manager is just making sure of the terminology with our head office before sending out that email.

Regarding your second question, the price of the refund does not differ. With OEM pricing we have been charged a set amount for the license regardless of the version of the operating system, and therefore while upgrading the operating system results in an increased overall cost to the customer, the pricing on the license is the same.

At this time the only return process I and my manager are aware of is for Operating Systems and no other pre-installed software. This is one of the things that we are asking our head office to clarify. I'm sorry I cannot provide a more extensive answer at this time.

Refunds are processed back in the same manner an order is paid for, i.e. a credit card purchased would be refunded to a credit card, a pre-paid cheque order refunded by a cheque, and so on.

Should you choose not to use Windows our technicians will still try to troubleshoot, however if they feel that the issue caused is software related they will ask you to restore the system to the way it was sent out.

I'm sorry I can't further clarify these answers at this time, once my manager hears back from our head office I will be in contact to advise you of their answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One of the excerpts you posted..
    "...You may return software for a refund or credit only if the sealed package containing the floppy disk(s) or CD(s) is unopened. For customers who want to return, for refund or credit only, either application or operating system software that has been installed by Dell, the whole system must be returned, along with any media and documentation that may have been included in the original shipment."
    It specifically says you have to return the entire system if you want to return any installed software.

Beans
    Distro

yes that seems like a plausible aspect that Dell could hypothetically utilize if they wished to discourage windows refunds..., although what I was told by the representative that:
    Customer Care will contact our Head Office, who will send a letter of destruction to you to sign and send back. You will have to send back the sticker that has the product key on it as well, and delete the software
    seems to be of a more realistic nature.

I think that this could be an easily avoidable problem even if one has to go to lengths to photograph them refusing the EULA agreement, and formating the drive, however If it does reach the point of a large number of requests for refunds, Dell could simply tell customers to pay for shipping.., [in which case easily exceeding the costs of the OEM]

Beans

Make any progress yet?. I contacted Dell customer care here in Canada today to return the Vista Home Premium that came with my 1520. The rep said she had never had anyone attempt to return the operating system before, so she had to check with her supervisor.
    After about 5 or 10min. she came back and told me that they used to allow returns with XP, but that, with Vista, they had a new contract with Microsoft that didn't allow them to return the OS. Pretty canny of MS. So no returns on Vista, PERIOD, according to her.
    I told her I would keep checking and be calling again if I actually had any additional info. I told her about the info I have read here and she said that if I had received an actual hard copy letter saying that the OS was returnable that they would honor it, but not otherwise.

Beans

[QUOTE=odin1965;3090798]
    After about 5 or 10min. she came back and told me that they used to allow returns with XP, but that, with Vista, they had a new contract with Microsoft that didn't allow them to return the OS. Pretty canny of MS. So no returns on Vista, PERIOD, according to her.
    /QUOTE] Wow, sure seems like Microsoft is very determined to monopolize the entire computer industry. How evil

Beans

Thats good but $25 seems a bit low. In the UK my friend got £62.50 on a refund for XP Media centre edition.

Also see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by cawill View Post
    that seems to be cut and dried, at least in the uk. perhaps anyone seeking a refund in the uk should paste that link in to their refund application!
    Last edited by smoker; July 28th, 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: .
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    perhaps anyone seeking a refund in the uk should paste that link in to their refund application!
    Yeah, thats what my friend did after dell at first turned down the refund, after pasting the link in an email they gave him the refund.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast