Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Missoula users

Re: Missoula users

update again! i got wireless working, dunno how, eth1 just showed up & my belkin thing has a use now..

is it possible to change the time to 7:30? my roommate has a meeting for school that night. she just found out about it today.

she's interested in this too. if that's not doable i'll find a way there & she'll be a lil late.
    maybe coming back to linux soon! need new computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Congrats on the wireless. Getting wireless working on Linux is often a major accomplishment. If this was the Scouts, you'd be gettin' some kind of achievement badge for sure.

I think that since we've already got the meeting published in several places, it wouldn't be wise to change it now. Otherwise, some people may not see the change, show up at 6:30 and proceed to vote the rest of us out of the club for being late (and last time I swore I'd never let that happen to me again).

ya, i'll get there by 6 30 then, but roommate will be a bit late.

Beans
    Hidden!

Arrow Re: Missoula users

jsgarvin, thanks for taking the lead! I just got your PM. Not sure why I haven't been seeing all these thread posts as i have posted to it once.

Anyway I shall post your LUG info to MontanaLinux.org. I had been talking with lunaz I believe it was about starting the MissoulaLUG. I'll pass this info back out again. If you register the domain missoulalug.org, we (montanalinux.org) can point that URL to a drupal book page just like I have setup for anyone going to BillingsLUG.org does. You might also think about starting an email list for announcements as well. Very common for LUGS. I suggest using mailman. If you have any trouble finding a host, please get back to me and we can look into options.

Todays LUGs don't necessarily serve the purpose they used to. They are more a social group... not the installfest/fix your Linux box here group. Try to assign tasks and don't try doing everything yourself. You'll end up doing that soon enough

Also jsgarvin, I would sign up for an account at montanalinux.org and after we have activated it, create some calendar events. There is a volunteer time slot folks can look at future meeting dates and sign up to do talks... opposed to stacking chairs.

Good luck to your group... looking forward to attending one of these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Worzie View Post
    jsgarvin, thanks for taking the lead!
    WOOHH! Taking the lead?!?!?!? Lunaz started this whole messy business. I'm just standing behind him gently pushing in a direction that I hope resembles forward.

Since most us haven't even met yet face to face. I think it might be a little premature to designate anyone a leader or spokesperson. I'm sure we'll get there though.

Anyway I shall post your LUG info to MontanaLinux.org.
    I saw that, thanks.

If you register the domain missoulalug.org, we (montanalinux.org) can point that URL to a drupal book page just like I have setup for anyone going to BillingsLUG.org does.
    I think you're getting a little ahead of us... or maybe just gently pushing in a direction that resembles forward?

You might also think about starting an email list for announcements as well. Very common for LUGS. I suggest using mailman. If you have any trouble finding a host, please get back to me and we can look into options.
    Yah, I've been thinking about that. I know at least one person who's interested but didn't want to sign up for the ubuntu forums just to express interest (they don't use Ubuntu <gasp>). I think a distro agnostic mailing list should one of our first priorities. Any reason not to just use Google Groups?

Todays LUGs don't necessarily serve the purpose they used to. They are more a social group... not the installfest/fix your Linux box here group.
    That sounds good to me. I know how to spill beer on all kinds of OS's.

Try to assign tasks and don't try doing everything yourself. You'll end up doing that soon enough

Also jsgarvin, I would sign up for an account at montanalinux.org and after we have activated it, create some calendar events. There is a volunteer time slot folks can look at future meeting dates and sign up to do talks... opposed to stacking chairs.

Good luck to your group... looking forward to attending one of these days.
    Tasks? Talks? Now you're making it sound like Lunaz is going to have to do work!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jsgarvin View Post
    Since most us haven't even met yet face to face. I think it might be a little premature to designate anyone a leader or spokesperson. I'm sure we'll get there though.
    Sorry I may have sounded pushy... you see I get commission
    I think you're getting a little ahead of us... or maybe just gently pushing in a direction that resembles forward?
    Yup, gently pushing
    Yah, I've been thinking about that. I know at least one person who's interested but didn't want to sign up for the ubuntu forums just to express interest (they don't use Ubuntu <gasp>). I think a distro agnostic mailing list should one of our first priorities. Any reason not to just use Google Groups?
    I trust this will be a topic for discussion at your meeting. It would be a great Linux project someone in your group should host. IMO using Google Groups would be the easy way out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Worzie View Post
    I trust this will be a topic for discussion at your meeting. It would be a great Linux project someone in your group should host. IMO using Google Groups would be the easy way out.
    FWIW, Google Groups DOES run Linux

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...ups.google.com

Besides, Linux shouldn't (and doesn't) mean more work. I say we go with the easiest, most elegant solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by holotone View Post
    Besides, Linux shouldn't (and doesn't) mean more work. I say we go with the easiest, most elegant solution.
    I think I agree. In days of yore, "Running Linux" meant that you were running a server. Desktop Linux for the common (wo)man is finally coming of age though, so I don't really think it's necessary or beneficial to imply that we all are, or need to be, sysadmins.
    I'd like people to choose to switch to Linux when/because it's the most appropriate option for their needs. And I don't think it would be inappropriate for us to choose a mailing list solution with the same criteria. If that paints us with "Montana's Kinder, Gentler LUG" stigma, then so be it.
    Plus, I think keeping the unnecessary work to a minimum now will help us concentrate on what is necessary to give this ball enough momentum to roll on it's own... whatever that is.

i just know how to break things!

i do have a home server with nothing on it, but getting a paid domain @dyndns is a bit pricey....

i dunno much about bloggy things, i always use to design my own stuff in html/css. it's been a couple yrs tho.

whatever's best, will look @ lug websites & see whats out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lunaz View Post

i just know how to break things!
    That's the first step. Gotta break it before there's anything to fix.

i do have a home server with nothing on it, but getting a paid domain @dyndns is a bit pricey....

i dunno much about bloggy things, i always use to design my own stuff in html/css. it's been a couple yrs tho.

whatever's best, will look @ lug websites & see whats out there.
    No worries. We'll have people that can help with that kind of stuff when the time is right. Let's just take things one step at a time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast