Thread: new nvidia card

Beans

new nvidia card

Hey all gamers...

I am tired of the ATI card and the problems with drivers, an not being able to run beryl, as well as some games compatibility. It appears that if I'm going to keep running linux, that nvidia is the way to go. I've been a long time ATI guy, almost a decade,and I'm not sure what nvidia card to get.

My ATI card is less than a year old, x1600 512 meg, and I want to upgrade to a decent nvidia card, ie. not state of the art, and still be able to play games like WoW, QuakeWars, and the soon to be released UT2007.

What are your suggestions as to a card to get, and will ~$200 get me a card to do all that?

--Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: new nvidia card

Depending on what type of hardware slot you have AGP or PCIE, there are some pretty nice GeForce cards in the 100-200$ range on NewEgg.com.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to get, but anything higher than a 6200 geforce atleast 256mb of ram should do the trick.

Be sure to check to make sure your potential new hardware is supported by the Nvidia Linux drivers.
    Last edited by hikaricore; June 27th, 2007 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Depending on what type of hardware slot you have AGP or PCIE, there are some pretty nice GeForce cards in the 100-200$ range on NewEgg.com.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to get, but anything higher than a 6200 geforce atleast 256mb of ram should do the trick.

Be sure to check to make sure your potential new hardware is supported by the Nvidia Linux drivers.
    Thanx, I do frequent newegg, but again, not sure about nvidia products. I am am looking for a PCIe and looking for 512 meg if possible.

--Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I can't seem to connect to newegg at the moment, I was going to browse through them and look.
    Best bet is link the card here that you think suits your needs, and compare it to the list of supported cards.

Hopefully someone will come across this thread with the same/a similar card and can give you their opinion
    of said card. Pretty much GeForce is a sure thing, the higher the number the newer/better the card.

Beans

GeForce 8600GT

Beans

I wouldn't recommend an Nvidia 8600GT. Even the 8600GTS isn't all that. If you can stretch to an 8800 card, do it.

1: The 8600 cards have 128-bit memory bandwidth and 32 stream processors.
    2: The 8800 cards have 320-bit memory bandwidth and 96 stream processors.

It's like Nvidia have left a gap for an 8700 series card to take on ATI's 2400/2600 cards.

Pay 2/3 the price for 1/3 the horsepower? Not me.