Thread: HOWTO: Get 7 working buttons on MX510

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Get 7 working buttons on MX510

It also worked for my MX610 laser mouse

Beans

I there! I followed the guide, managed to get my MX510 to work - though not flawlessly. All buttons work as they should, except for the UP-button above the scrollwheel. It does scroll up when pressed, but after releasing the button it does a BACKSPACE (Or ALT_LEFT or Back-in-browsing-history, or wtf).

xev reports the button 4 upon pressing down and button 6 upon releasing the button.

How to fix?

Beans

crjackson,
    xev interprets mouse events and passes them to your application. If it doesn't see the event then you may need to remap the ButtonMapping.

Does the mouse work in a pure Windows environment, that is to say, not an emulator or vm? If you can, try to borrow a friend's mouse and test it with xev.

You could also try going to a local store buying a mouse. If it doesn't work then return it for a refund but make sure the store will allow you to do that.

When you press all the buttons, what is the highest number returned? Are the ButtonPress numbers sequential or is there a skip? Perhaps, this button mapping doesn't work for your mouse and you need a different one. It's not hard to change, just tedious.

If that still doesn't work then I'd venture to guess it may be a faulty mouse.

Keep me posted on your progress,
    bobland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BobLand View Post
    crjackson,
    xev interprets mouse events and passes them to your application. If it doesn't see the event then you may need to remap the ButtonMapping.

Does the mouse work in a pure Windows environment, that is to say, not an emulator or vm? If you can, try to borrow a friend's mouse and test it with xev.

You could also try going to a local store buying a mouse. If it doesn't work then return it for a refund but make sure the store will allow you to do that.

When you press all the buttons, what is the highest number returned? Are the ButtonPress numbers sequential or is there a skip? Perhaps, this button mapping doesn't work for your mouse and you need a different one. It's not hard to change, just tedious.

If that still doesn't work then I'd venture to guess it may be a faulty mouse.

Keep me posted on your progress,
    bobland
    The mouse with all buttons work perfectly under windows. Tested on 3 machines.

The highest number returned is 7.

Left Click = 1
    Right Click =3
    Wheel Click = 2
    Wheel Scroll up = 4
    Wheel Scroll dn = 5
    Cruse Up = 6
    Cruse Dn = nothing
    Forward click = 7
    Back click = 6
    Event Focus button click = 2

The mouse works fine on all windows computers.
    MacPro 5,1 - 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, AMD HD 7970
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SSUBX Apple SSD, 4TB WD, 4TB Barracuda
    Sonnet Allegro Pro USB 3.0/SOLO-X2/OS X 10.11

Beans

thanias,
    What you reported is a minor bug that is unique to this mouse and perhaps others. Nothing much to do about it unless the driver is updated in a later version.

Does this behavior happen if the scroll up button is anywhere but the top? One thing to try is not releasing at the top but move/scroll down just a bit before releasing.

Let me know if that works.

bobland

Beans

Nopes.

"It hurts pretty much around the bloody spot."

In other words, anywhere I click the button it goes backwards.

Beans

thanius,
    The problem seems to be related to the fact that the ButtonPress is 4 but the ButtonRelease is 6. ButtonPress 5 releases on 2. Since that is a scrolling wheel I'm assuming the driver sees it as a stationary 2 so the it doesn't move. Does this behavior display in all programs?

My ButtonPress 4 / Release on 6 only goes back at the top of the screen. In the middle or bottom it behaves as expected.

Try changing the button mapping. Perhaps, you'll hit the right combination. We're pretty much stuck with what is returned by xev unless you want to try and reprogram the driver.

Sorry. Maybe someone will see this thread and know exactly how to fix this. Keep your fingers crossed.

bobland

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Get 7 working buttons on MX510

Here's what I've observed and can only conclude that there is a bug in the driver for this mouse.

left click:
    ButtonPress 1 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 1 state 0x110 - consistent

wheel pressed down:
    ButtonPress 2 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 2 state 0x210 - consistent

right click:
    ButtonPress 3 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 3 state 0x410 - consistent

wheel up/scroll up:
    ButtonPress 4 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 4 state 0x810 - consistent (button not pushed down)

wheel down/scroll down:
    ButtonPress 5 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 5 state 0x1010 - consistent (button not pushed down)

side button forward:
    ButtonPress 6 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 6 state 0x10 - consistent (side button)

side button backwards:
    ButtonPress 7 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 7 state 0x10 - consistent (side button)

*scroll up button (above wheel):
    ButtonPress 6 state 0x10 ButtonRelease 6 state 0x810 while held down, on actual release state 0x10 - consistent is this anomalous behavior

scroll down button (below wheel)
    ButtonPress 5 state 0x210 ButtonRelease 5 (still held down) state 0x1210 - on actual release state 0x210 button 2 - no noticeable behavior change.

* the scroll up button's behavior is not consistent. When I changed the mapping by leaving out the last 6, restarted, the button behaved for about 3 minutes then reverted to the behavior as experience by thanius. When I changed it back to the original, again, it displayed normal behavior but after about 5 button presses, it reverted to inconsistent behavior.

My conclusion is there is a bug in the driver and we will have to live with this. I'll try to post this to the proper people.

Thanks for your patience,
    bobland

Beans

I have a mx600. With this configuration I am left with 5 buttons that dont work. the 2 left and right side buttons of the scroll wheel (to scroll left and right by using the scroll wheel). and the 3 zoom buttons + - and 100%. Has anyone ever got these buttons to work?

Beans

goonies,
    You may want to contact the poster in message #8. He has an MX600 and has reported success with this process.

bobland

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast