Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature

In the US, it is illegal to give politically influential folks bribes, kickbacks, etc. However, corporations work around this by using lobbyists, which are basically someone constantly in contact with the politicians voicing the corporations best interests, guiding politicians towards bills and laws that would best interest corporations, and proposing such get made, too. In return, there's usually some kind of suggestion of campaign funding or something (not quite sure how it all works "legally" exactly, because it sounds so illegal, but its not.)

Meanwhile, the common people have the phone and email to contact their local politicians...whom pretty much ignore whatever the regular folks have to say. Unless, the regular folks get together in such mass as to not be ignored, or they hire their own lobbyist to push for their own agenda. (This can get tricky, since some "consumer advocacy" groups or what-not, which look like charitable groups trying to do what's best for the common person, are actually pushing their own agendas under the guise of consumer advocacy.)

Sadly, it's called "politics" for a reason...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Politics, Prostitution, and Priesthood...Mankinds three oldest methods of avoiding HONEST work...*g*

jfinkels is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Politics, Prostitution, and Priesthood...Mankinds three oldest methods of avoiding HONEST work...*g*
    Prostitution IS honest work.

Beans

I think Fenryr meant hard work
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'd think prostitution would be hard...

God I love puns.

jfinkels is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scrooge_74 View Post
    I think Fenryr meant hard work
    ...thank you. ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well I said it before and I'll say it again.
    There just can't be any leverage on this. Voting machines absolutely need to be open-source.

I'm going to take a while guess (I don't know jack about US politics) that people don't trust voting machines, because they can't see how they work?

How complicated can a voting machine be anyway? There should be information available to everyone who votes: for them to see how the voting software works.

I'm putting my nose in another country's business here.. but to me, this is a crossroads point where you loose democracy if you choose the wrong path.
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

As a former American, and worse, a former FLORIDA resident, I'm among the many Americans who suspect that it was chicanery with the Diebold electronic voting machines that got this current moron ELECTED...You can't trust ANY voting system that doesn't leave a hard paper trail for verification of the results, ANYTHING electronic is just too open to manipulation at the most basic levels...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I doubt it was the machines nearly as much as the electoral college and the 'coincidence' that his brother runs the state.

Beans

Plenty of elections were rigged when they only had pen and paper.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast