Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is brilliant for gaming!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu is brilliant for gaming!

Being a Linux distro after all, I never believed Ubuntu would be any good for running Windows games. However, I couldn't have been more wrong.

A few friends and I decided to play Counter-Strike 1.6 in college today. Obviously as it is designed for Windows it installed fine on the XP machines, but I felt like a challenge - so I made a bet that I could install it on my Ubuntu machine and play with the rest of the group.

Having never tried getting CS1.6 to work on Ubuntu before, that was quite a stupid decision. Needless to say it was incredibly easy - it installed under Wine seamlessly, and the only extra work I had to do to get it to run properly was install a truetype font which it required.

Within literally minutes I was in the server and playing with the rest of the group. Funnily enough, the game actually ran BETTER on the machine than it did on the Vista machines (my 50fps+ compared to the 20fps on the Vista box).

I never thought running games under Linux would be so easy. Good work guys, Ubuntu continues to be my favourite distro!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu is brilliant for gaming!

While you thanks is appreciated, you may want to throw some of it over to the guys at www.winehq.org. They are the reason that you were able to do that so easily. They rock.
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

HL is built on opengl and an iD engine, as well is HL2. Its not a suprize they work next to flawlessly in linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

janipewter Good thing you were able to install CounterS on Ubuntu (i've never tried to use Wine).

How about giving a NATIVE Linux games a shot?

There are some cool First Person Shooter games that are in the repository, those are:

- Tremulous: Found in Multiverse Repository

- OpenArena: Found in Universe repository

- Nexuiz: Found in Universe Repository

- AssaultCube: NOT found in the repository, it can be installed from source or from GetDeb.com
    Last edited by ubuntu27; June 21st, 2007 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Nexuiz...i can't install it...i find it in the repository list..however..when i select install..i get the error that the manager can't find the files...they can't be downloaded....is there an updated apt list for this?

Beans

Probably a more topical game for this thread is True Combat: Elite, a mod of Enemy Territory, both of which are available natively on Linux.
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tolstoybikeboy View Post
    Nexuiz...i can't install it...i find it in the repository list..however..when i select install..i get the error that the manager can't find the files...they can't be downloaded....is there an updated apt list for this?
    What happens if you try to install using the terminal?

Open the Terminal (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)

and type the following

Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    press Enter in your keyboard, and type your password.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install nexuiz
    Copy and Paste the Output of the terminal here.

Beans

I recommend everyone to try Sauerbraten (it says "game engine" on the front page but it's actually a complete game). It features very fast FPS gameplay and still manages to run smoothly on low-end machines.

Also it has this interesting multiplayer game mode called "coop-edit" where every player can edit the map while they are playing on it together. It's great if you like to collaborate with other people on making stuff.

Beans

that thread for some reason made me remind of my old voodoo 3, iam still waiting for the opengl coming back form the ashes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
    HL is built on opengl and an iD engine, as well is HL2. Its not a suprize they work next to flawlessly in linux.
    I know HL is based on OpenGL, but I though HL2 was based on DX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast