Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

the day dell refused to sell a computer

UPDATE: I have talked with Dell, and they are going to sell the computer to me. The issue had less to do with the OS and more to do with a mis-inderstanding with the original order taker.
    I did have to order it through the home section of their order department, but I was able to place the order with a business card and received my tax exemption.

Despite the small bump, Dell's customer service has been good, and I plan on buying more computers from them in the future. Assuming they continue to embrace open source!
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I had a surreal experience with Dell today.

My boss asked me to order a new computer for our small, non-profit business. Wanting to support Dell in their decision to sell computers with Ubuntu installed, I decided to order one.

First, I talked to a small business representative, who informed me that I could not order one of the Ubuntu-based computers through the small business department. I had to go through the "home and home office" department.

I called the Home office department. I asked the representative if I could buy one of the ubuntu computers for my company. She said (and I quote), "these Dell computers are designed for personal use only, as long as you use it for personal use, you can purchase one."

So I lied and said I would....

Next, I tried to buy it on our business credit card. They would have none of that. She told me that I had to buy it through a personal card. Now, as a non-proft, our business does not pay sales tax (10% in Tennessee). Had I bought it with my own card, I would have had to pay tax (~$90), which my company would not have reimbursed me for. So.....no Dell today.

I really wanted to support Dell and I am just blown away that they would REFUSE MY MONEY because I was buying it to use for a business. What company goes around telling its customers how they can use their products? What business model does that fall under?

More importantly, are they really supporting Ubuntu and Linux? They didn't seem too supportive to me.
    Last edited by cosborn72; June 26th, 2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Change in situation

Beans

Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Supporting a small business must be different from supporting a home user.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by blah blah blah View Post
    Supporting a small business must be different from supporting a home user.
    I'm sure someone's already replied to this...but I thought CANONICAL is supporting these things? (if you purchase it, of course).

Dell only supports the hardware, through the FreeDOS CD utility they include.

If they're only selling SLED, well that's a very sad thing because SuSE products are bought with Microsoft/Novell coupons that afford you minimal protection, and give royalties to Microsoft AFAIK. Someone pointed out they're still selling RHEL workstations but those are expensive too...

EDIT: Sure enough, many have already said what I said

How about contacting your state attorney generals and telling them your experience with Dell (are they beholden to Microsoft contracts disallowed under the Consent Decree?)
    Last edited by jiminycricket; June 21st, 2007 at 04:09 AM.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn72 View Post
    What company goes around telling its customers how they can use their products?
    Where have you been for the last few years? Bought a DVD lately?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Where have you been for the last few years? Bought a DVD lately?
    That's really annoying, isn't it?

cosborn, why don't you get a System76?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Quote Originally Posted by the.dark.lord View Post
    That's really annoying, isn't it?

cosborn, why don't you get a System76?
    I second that notion.
    -Shawn Q {64-bit...like Atari Jaguar?}
    MSI K9A2 Platinum 790FX;Phenom 9600;G.Skill 4x2GB DDR2 1066;2x Radeon HD 4800 series;Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."-Wyrm by Mark Fabi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

If it makes anyone feel better, Dell did the same thing with Vista when it was released. They wouldn't sell a system with Vista to a business user at first.

Dell is looking at Ubuntu as a way to expand their Linux offerings to home users. Business customers have been able to get a Dell with Red Hat preinstalled for many years now. I suspect that they want their business users to keep using those systems, that they've been selling for years, rather than switching to something new and untested. I also suspect that if you were to poll Dell's business customers, the majority agree with that position.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

So why are they for personal use only? Do they not have faith in Linux?
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    So why are they for personal use only? Do they not have faith in Linux?
    The thing to do is call and see if any of the windows-based computers are for home use only, or if they can all be purchased for either. If they can all be purchased for either, ask for a reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Submit your story to Slashdot or Digg. If it gets picked up, you will probaby find out that the "peons" manning the phones "misspoke" the official policy. That's what happened the last time when someone was denied the ability to purchase the extended hardware warranty.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast