Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Dog View Post
    Think about it from their standpoint, how soon would it be before somebody calls saying they can't join their new Ubuntu computer to a domain?
    They don't provide support anyway. Canonical is in charge of the tech support contracts. Dell wouldn't get the call. Canonical would. Besides, isn't that what the company's IT department is for? If a company starts using Linux, it's probably because someone in the IT department who knows how to use it and work with it made the decision. I kind of doubt the average CEO knows more than the average CTO.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodniece View Post
    I work for a small non-profit in TN as well. We have a Dell Small Business account and $100,000 worth of credit with Dell.

I called Dell Small BusIness and spoke with Carlous. He was courteous and helpful and gave me some useful information.

They would not sell ANY computer from the home and home business line to me, open source OS or not. I would have to open a separate account in the home side before I could purchase anything from that line. However, they did say the 6400 is basically the same model as the E1505N.
    Don't count on it. The 6400 comes with ATI video - something you really don't want to run Ubuntu on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by Syke View Post
    Don't count on it. The 6400 comes with ATI video - something you really don't want to run Ubuntu on.
    why not? I got it working fine!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    I would suspect that this is due to the deal with M$. You can sell computers with Ubuntu, but not to our bread and butter customers (businesses). Just a guess!!!
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn72 View Post
    I really wanted to support Dell and I am just blown away that they would REFUSE MY MONEY because I was buying it to use for a business. What company goes around telling its customers how they can use their products? What business model does that fall under?
    Answer: Microsoft and every software company in existence. RIAA. MPAA. Probably others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

seems kinda stupid to me. very unsupportive in a way to promoting the use of linux. it'd be like buying a unix based business system i.e. sub server model for your gaming purposes i.e. running your own game server and being told that you can't buy it because it wouldn't be for business use. try selling lemonade on the sidewalk and telling people you won't sell it to em cause they have to take it home and drink it and not drink it in front of you.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by blah blah blah View Post
    Supporting a small business must be different from supporting a home user.
    I'm sure someone's already replied to this...but I thought CANONICAL is supporting these things? (if you purchase it, of course).

Dell only supports the hardware, through the FreeDOS CD utility they include.

If they're only selling SLED, well that's a very sad thing because SuSE products are bought with Microsoft/Novell coupons that afford you minimal protection, and give royalties to Microsoft AFAIK. Someone pointed out they're still selling RHEL workstations but those are expensive too...

EDIT: Sure enough, many have already said what I said

How about contacting your state attorney generals and telling them your experience with Dell (are they beholden to Microsoft contracts disallowed under the Consent Decree?)
    Last edited by jiminycricket; June 21st, 2007 at 04:09 AM.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

i just stumbled on this story on slashdot. good up to whoever did that, i am a little peeved about the half a'd way this dell ubuntu thing seems to be going.
    Lenovo R61i
    running ubuntu 11.10 and crunchbang #!
    registered linux user #453656

Beans

Probably a lucky escape to be honest - Dell hardware is crap. All our machines in work are Dell and they are, frankly, awful. Cheap components poor build quality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It's been what, 20 days??

Has anyone considered it might be because Dell are "testing" the water with Ubuntu in the home market. The deal with Canonical is to provide support to "Home" users.

Before a company will invest in its future it has to have a testing period of a product, and that is what the home market is for.

Give them a chance!! They do not want to be selling to businesses if the PC's for some reason start crashing. Who do you think gets sued if that starts happening!!

I believe they will wait till the next LTS release before they start to release to businesses and the educational markets.

Disclaimer: To all flamers out there I am not a Dell lover, I do not work for Dell, I have not slept with or recieved any sexual favours off any Dell employees. Though if any "HOT" Dell secrataries wish to provide me with said favours then I'm available...whenever...call me...PLEASE!!
    Alpha to the Omega

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast