Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: the day dell refused to sell a computer

Beans

Re: the day dell refused to sell a computer

For crying out loud, just stick the Ubuntu cd in and install it yourself! It's hardly rocket science.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ashz View Post
    I have not slept with or recieved any sexual favours off any Dell employees.
    How can we be sure?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I,m not a "conspiracy theory" person, but I am beginning to smell a rat. I think it is possible that this whole thing is a ploy concocted between M$ and Dell to "prove" that there is no market for these systems.

"See, we offered Linux to the public and there was no market." Now we can ignore those Linux people and get back to our goal of world PC domination.

Follow the money.
    Floyd
    Ault, CO, USA
    Registered Linux User 436727
    Registered Ubuntu User # 13092

Beans

Now on: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40472

In regards to the situation, it really is almost a backstabber that Dell proclaims they're going to promote this Linux distribution and yet they're not willing to offer support for it.

Hmm, maybe you should have told Dell it was for personal business use.

Beans

just figured i would drop a little funny redundancy out here for the fell ubuntu users looking at dell for their os of choice on their new hardware. If you go to the dell.com/linux it states. and I quote the followingith Dell, you can take full advantage of your Linux operating system whether at home or at the office. You can have an open infrastructure to support your open code.

Dell-with its standardized, flexible, affordable, scalable technology - is the perfect partner for your Linux operating system.

Dell offers a wide range of innovative Linux business solutions, including the latest from Red Hat® and Novell® SUSE® on Dell PowerEdgeTM servers and Dell/EMC storage. Dell enables simplified Linux migration and out-of-the-box web and database servers. "

seems to me maybe dells service reps and Michael need to do some reading to show what theys say they are offering but actually arent.

Beans

Can Ubuntu be used for profit or for a business? I realize that it is a non-profit business, but they probably don't know that. Clarification anyone?

Beans

Yes, you can even use ubuntu to make a business selling Ubuntu cd's. The Ubuntu license is quite generous in terms of what you can do with it. If you use Ubuntu to make money and people see that then it is good for Ubuntu publicity and more people will probably get it. Canonical actually encourages people to use Ubuntu in their businesses.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre View Post
    Hi cosborn72, Dell is very crafty about pricing their systems differently for home/business/employees/affiliates. The prices are constantly changing and can vary substantially with respect to nearly identical systems.

I have found that if you order *via the website* rather than by phone, they do not check your "eligibility" for different types of purchases at all. I was able to get an "employee and affiliate" deal on a system for personal, home use! Check out my slightly lengthier response to your slashdot submission: http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...9&cid=19580271

Hope that helps! (Also note that, because of discounts and promotions, it may actually be cheaper to order a Windows-based system and then just put Ubuntu on it, as was the case for me.)
    This isn't really the point and something that most Linux users misunderstand. It may be possible to get a Windows machine cheaper but the point is to SHOW Dell that people in fact WANT the Ubuntu systems. Dell needs to SEE [in their bottom line] that people WILL spend their money on that offering. If Dell sees the market for it, they will roll it out overseas and will start putting more pressure on the manufacturers to release open drivers.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

From the conversation I had, Dell will not sell any computer from the home line to business users. It is not a conspiracy against Ubuntu or GNU or anything like that. It's like calling the mobile phone division of AT&T and trying to get a LAN line. Wrong department, call this number. We sell blue widgets at this store, the green widgets are down the street. I can call the home sales division and order Ubuntu laptops all day long and just use them at my business without Dell's support.

Now, I agree that they should add Ubuntu powered systems to their business line.
    Maybe Dell should partner with Canonical for business and enterprise level tech support packages to be sold with business-class workstations and notebooks.

Better yet, just buy a computer from System 76 and send a copy of your receipt to Michael Dell
    Derkles McBloodniece
    ASUS P4P 2.8Ghz w/ ATI 9550 and BCM43xx Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by bloodniece View Post
    From the conversation I had, Dell will not sell any computer from the home line to busines

Now, I agree that they should add Ubuntu powered systems to their business line.
    Maybe Dell should partner with Canonical for business and enterprise level tech support packages to be sold with business-class workstations and notebooks.
    Perhaps that's the plan exactly and offering home systems is just the first step.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast