Page 20 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    Hey!

8 year old Toshiba Satellite 4060CDT
    128MB RAM
    333Mhz
    3,7GB HD
    Trident Graphics card
    Ubuntu Feisty Server running Fluxbox (i had 3 WM installed at once, last week )
    I wish i could get ubuntu running on mine

I have the satellite 1625cdt which is a 475mhz amd with 128 mb ram and i cant seem to get anything past xubuntu 6.06 running on it. I think theres an issue with my 7.10 cd but it checks out ok and works fine in a VM. i dont know. right now im getting a new hard disk i gave away my 5gb when i fixed a clients computer
    Certifications: MCP,CCNA
    ASUS Eee PC 900, 900MHz, 1GB Ram, 4GB HDD
    Home Built AMD Sempron LE-1150 2.01GHz , 4GB RAM, 160GB+80GB HDD's
    Registered Ubuntu User#19798

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markyb86 View Post

I have the satellite 1625cdt which is a 475mhz amd with 128 mb ram and i cant seem to get anything past xubuntu 6.06 running on it. I think theres an issue with my 7.10 cd but it checks out ok and works fine in a VM. i dont know. right now im getting a new hard disk i gave away my 5gb when i fixed a clients computer
    Have you tried an older version such as Dapper Drake (6.06 LTS)? That one has worked well on my P3 500Mhz w/256MB Ram (I did have 128MB ram but that was in my Red Hat 8 & 9 and Gentoo days). I think the older version has a lower memory requirement.

Even Edubuntu 6.06 is not speed deamon, but it is adequate for most things. I took off OpenOffice but other than that even Kino has worked on the system. Blender would open, but I don't know how to do anything with it so I can't tell you how well that has worked but I have been able to get Kpovmodeler running on it in a past life.

Are you using the Alternative CD? The base CD says 256MB ram to run (the live environment I suppose) but the Alternative CD allows you to use the text-based installer instead and bypass some of the memory issues. I think the 256MB ram minimum is for running it as a LiveCD (and I cannot imagine how much ram it takes to run as a LiveCD *AND* Install !!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!

I had to use floppy disks that my dad got for free from work up until I entered college this past August. My dad was too cheap to get me a flash drive! Luckily I got a Toshiba laptop for college, and I was given a free flash drive! But my school library has some computers that run Windows 2000, and those beige computers are all dusty and gross. They sit all alone in the corner of the library while students plug in their shiny new laptops at desks.

Beans

I like to use IceWM with slow machines (and heck, I like it one fast ones too.)

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    Please allow me to introduce the newest member of my family...
    Nice. I used to have an identical laptop to that, except 300Mhz. Those are great lightweight machines. The bay modules fit the entire 8000-series too, so anything that was intended to fit the module on that line will fit in your CPi-A too. DVD-burners, spare hard drives, etc.

It's a terrible video card, but it'll do composite effects, if you lighten the load enough.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markyb86 View Post

Try a new distro I first tried Arch on my old laptop, and now it's my primary OS
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Recently I got an old laptop, well, it's my job's but I am on charge of it.
    It is a lovely Sony VAIO with a 600MHz PIII processor, 128MB of RAM, 6.4GB (or thereabouts) HDD.

Right now it has Windows ME on it (and it works!), considering the laptop had been rendered as useless some years ago I am not too surprised to find the system in 'prime condition': no viruses or whatsoever.

I have not installed Linux on it yet because I am waiting for some new parts to 'boost' performance: RAM to max its memory to a whooping 256MB, and a new (bigger, faster) HDD. Right now it is functional with ME, and since I can not spare much time to tweak a small Linux on it, I am leaving it alone...for the moment.

I'll report back when I get it going.

By the way, this guys in Sony really don't want users to 'break' in to their own laptops: screws are too hard. I guess I'll be going to a Sony service center to get the thing 'unscrewed'.

Thanks.
    Joe.
    "I've got the money to use Windows." "Great!, I've got the knowledge to use Linux."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Couple of old laptops i have are:

IBM Thinkpad 10inch screen, 300mhz Celron, 8gig HD, 196ram, NO CD drive, NO floopy, (did not even come with them new) its just plain and very light. It has Windows ME and works very well. I would like to try to install Linux on it one day maybe.

Next is a IBM Thinkpad 233mhz, 2gig hd, 64ram, Floopy, CD, 12inch screen, with Windows ME and also is working well. Would like to try Linux on it also.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
    Couple of old laptops i have are:

IBM Thinkpad 10inch screen, 300mhz Celron, 8gig HD, 196ram, NO CD drive, NO floopy, (did not even come with them new) its just plain and very light. It has Windows ME and works very well. I would like to try to install Linux on it one day maybe.

Next is a IBM Thinkpad 233mhz, 2gig hd, 64ram, Floopy, CD, 12inch screen, with Windows ME and also is working well. Would like to try Linux on it also.
    MMM, so you have a VIA processor, that is interesting, how can you compare it to, say, a Pentium IV?

Thanks.
    Joe.
    "I've got the money to use Windows." "Great!, I've got the knowledge to use Linux."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Dragonbite, yes i install xubuntu 6.06 with the alternate cd, and i knew the live cd wouldnt work i just wanted to use gnome instead of xfce to give it a go.. i just have given up because i cant get my 11wave wavebuddy wireless card to work. im going to get a new wifi card so that i actually know what it is and can get it running.

raul_ at first i tried debian but it would not install properly. DSL works fine (even live) but i still cant get wifi runnin. Once i tried booting mandriva and that started to work, said it detected the card and froze before showing the desktop.. the laptop just needs a few tweaks.
    Certifications: MCP,CCNA
    ASUS Eee PC 900, 900MHz, 1GB Ram, 4GB HDD
    Home Built AMD Sempron LE-1150 2.01GHz , 4GB RAM, 160GB+80GB HDD's
    Registered Ubuntu User#19798

Page 20 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast