Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is CaLoCo dead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Is CaLoCo dead?

I'm beginning to wonder what the California LoCo team is all about, and even if it exists at all. There has been minimal activity here, and perhaps the lack of activity is indicative of low interest, or too many other requirements being placed on the current team leadership.
    I have not received any answers to my posts, or even a response to my greeting. Not that I am in need of attention, but any healthy community welcomes new members and has a leadership that is involved. I'm not seeing that here.

Thoughts, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Is CaLoCo dead?

hey miggl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hey Andrew!

Want to start a California Revivial Group? hehehe

Beans

We're quite active in #ubuntu-california on freenode, (the Ubuntu-California IRC channel), stop in and stay a while. The Launchpad group is growing steadily as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm still wondering about advocating at the state and local levels here. Is there any interest at all?

We're not just in the belly of the Beast here in CA, we are the Beast, and what we do here makes a huge difference everywhere. You'd think we'd be eager to get active, but instead we have to rely on Sudan, Egypt and Argentina to do the heavy lifting. It's not right.

Anyhow, I'd love to do the research and paperwork to set up the CalUbuntu Non-Profit (or CaLinux, or whatever), and then do some outreach. I've got some experience politically and with the unions now, so that stuff would be relatively easy for me.

Where I'm a total incompetent is with actual system and software issues. I'm a lifetime noob and proud of it. Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not going to leap into anything unless I know that there is some competent local support; a small group of people within an hour's drive with whom I can get in contact and/or to whom I can refer potential converts.

Please let me know if this sounds appealing to anyone.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I love the glimpse of the idea you have provided here.

I'm still a newb in LoCo groups, so please bear with me here .

You'd think we'd be eager to get active, but instead we have to rely on Sudan, Egypt and Argentina to do the heavy lifting.
    What did you mean by that?

Anyhow, I'd love to do the research and paperwork to set up the CalUbuntu Non-Profit (or CaLinux, or whatever), and then do some outreach.
    What is the mission statement of this non-profit?

I'm a software developer and would like to get started in developing in and for Linux. Ubuntu has given me so much in form of awesome software and capabilities, unpresedented OS and stability; I'd like to contribute back to the community as well.

Beans
    Distro

My reference is to all of the freeware advocacy going on apparently everywhere but here. You see success stories from almost everywhere; entire national governments declaring iTunes illegal (for not supporting non-prop formats, I believe); major institutions being forced to move to open formats for their documentation formats and software, etc., etc.... and so little of this is taking place in California, at least that I can tell. I'd love to do something to change that.

The mission statement would be to promote Free & Open systems and formats generally (and from both a basic philosophic standpoint as well as a practical and economic one) and - perhaps - Ubuntu specifically. I'd think most of us could get behind that.

What would I specifically like to do? I'd love to put Ubuntu and Edubuntu desktops in as many schools and working-class homes as possible. We could do that in several ways:
    1. ]take companies old equipment as donations for them to write off on their taxes, reassemble and reconfigure them until they're brand new again;
    2. or do some serious fundraising and also try to set up partnerships with local hardware outlets (you're from the L.A. area... Fry's would be great if we could get them on board) to buy brand-spanking new equipment to put in the schools.

Well, that's something like the basic idea right now. However, I'm with majority opinion on these issues; whatever everyone else wants is the goal. But, I'd like to support anyone who's actually doing the footwork, going to PTA and City Council meetings, and so forth.

I'm glad I'm finally getting a response from someone (and I imagine you are as well... Talk to you soon.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wink Re: Is CaLoCo dead?

Indeed, glad to be getting some action here, so to speak! hehe

Wow, that's quite an undertaking! But, yes, I think we can all get behind those ideals. Thinking this through, you would be basically creating an IT-based company that would specialize in assembling, distributing, and supporting OpenSource, maybe specifically Ubuntu, throughout CA.

I can see the drivers behind this reasoning, and I can see it working out. Here are my thoughts on that, and please don't take it as flaming, or shut-down, just some points to ponder:
    - Significant effort would have to be put into making custom system installers for our purpose. What I mean is that we would have to set up a light-weight Desktop OS that can run on older PCs, as well newer ones (or perhaps create different versions for different CPU stages (Pentium, PII, PIII, PIV, etc...), and then support those. The idea is consistency.
    - We would have to develop standards and procedures as to how we implement, distribute, and support clients, again, for consistency and efficiency.
    - We would not be a software shop (I know you never made the argument, I'm just bringing it up because that's where my passion lies). We would be an IT-hardware/networking/tech support shop.

The first two are key points that we NEED to absolutely nail. If we fail, we not only fail our non-profit organization and our clients, but we effectively harm Linux, specifically Ubuntu, and its propagation by giving the appearance that Linux is indeed to ready yet for the public.

Good discussion, I'm eager to hear more of your thoughts!

Mike

Beans
    Distro

You clearly weren't listening to me... me no speaky techy!

No, seriously, I always love finding out that I'm not crazy, or rather that at least one or two other people are crazy as well and have given thought to this or that. However, I must stress that I have very close to zero ability to talk the talk in this particular realm. If I am to be involved in this it will be as an advocate and fund raiser, not as a tech. If anything, I'd like to use myself as a walking advertisement for Ubuntu... "If this moron can use it, anyone can!"

These disclaimers aside, yes, we would need to focus on consistency and reliability, and with the two options I discussed above they should be manageable. If, on the one hand, we recycle donation equipment, bear in mind that we'll tend to get bulk from companies, for they themselves tend to buy in bulk, so that large blocks of the material we'd work with would be fairly equivalent, if not identical to itself.

If, on the other hand, we are buying brand new equipment, the problems would tend to go away on their own, by and large. Or wouldn't they? You seem far more capable in this regard, so I would defer to you on this and related points.

There is one nuance I would like to discuus and debate with people here, and it involves computers in the schools. I differ with many here in that I actually want to minimize their importance. For the young kids I think outdoor play is far and away the most important aspect of their education, and as they get older, books, the library and real-life experiences. Computers are WAY down the list for me... and therefore we shouldn't be spending beau coup bucks on software.

I guess I'm making this clear now because it is somewhat ironic that I would be advocating for something to which I am opposed (in a manner of speaking). My concern is that the money tends to determine the priorities, rather than vice versa. So, playgrounds are asphalt, rather than grass, because that's where the money is. Likewise, classrooms are virtual rather than real, because that's where the money is.

Well, please tell me what you think before I go on.

Beans
    Distro

P.S. - I'm hoping that if this thread gets long enough we'll start getting some other voices to chime in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast