Thread: Moving median, signal processing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Moving median, signal processing

First an example with moving mean. If the output signal is the mean of current input value and the two values before we write:
    y[n] = 1/3( x[n] + x[n - 1] + x[n - 2])
    Then we can get the impulse response:
    h[n] = 1/3(delta[n] + delta[n - 1] + delta[n - 2] )

If the output signal is the median of current input value and the two before we write:
    y[n] = median (x[n] , x[n - 1], x[n - 2])
    Is there a way to express this more mathematical?
    I want the impulse response h[n].

//Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Moving median, signal processing

If I remember my dsp correctly, an impulse response is associated with a linear system. A median filter is non-linear, therefore, there isn't an explicit impulse response.

by writing something like:

you are implying that x[n], x[n-1], x[n-2] are sorted and the middle value is taken.

Can anyone else confirm my memory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by makhand View Post
    If I remember my dsp correctly, an impulse response is associated with a linear system. A median filter is non-linear, therefore, there isn't an explicit impulse response.

by writing something like:

you are implying that x[n], x[n-1], x[n-2] are sorted and the middle value is taken.

Can anyone else confirm my memory?
    Speaking as a statistician (having only the most rudimentary understanding of signals processing) you are essentially correct. In a naive sense the median is the middle number in a sorted list.

More formally, if each frequency is associated with the number of times is observed and divide each of these by the total number of observations(p_i(x)), then the median is the number such that \sum_{i=n-2}^{i=m} {p_i(x)}=.5 and \sum_{i=m}^{i=n}=.5 simultaneously. (sorry if my TeX is a little off).

I can't speak to the impulse response issue. I can say that in the case of three (random?) values it will be impossible to find any better way to express the median. You may try specifying a set A_n where x_i in A_n if i in {i-j|j=1,2,3} and state median(A_n) as opposed to your notation. Not sure if that will save you time anywhere else, though, and ergo whether or not it is worth your effort.

Hopefully that helps.
    Last edited by euler_fan; June 19th, 2007 at 02:20 AM.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

makhand is right on target. An impulse response describes a linear system, which requires the principles of homogeneity(scaling) and superposition hold.

To test for linearity:
    given: y[n] = h[n]*x[n] where * denotes convolution and h[n] is our filter

a system is linear iff:
    (Ax[n] + B x[n])*h[n] = Ay[n] + By[n] where A and B are constants.

It is clear to see that this does not hold for a median filter, and thus there is no way to describe it with an impulse response.