Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N64 Emulator

Beans

N64 Emulator

where can i find the best n64 emulator for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: N64 Emulator

Last time I checked, it (if not two) is in the repositories.

The only reason for doing this is nostalgia. N64 is in between MAME classics and newer consoles.

With a $20 and up NVidia card, you can beat consoles by a LARGE margin.

Without DRI (Direct graphics card), many other games are still avaible.

Have you considered KXMame? Get you classic game on. PacMan, Galaga, Star Wars, Etc. Old style arcade fun. Better than N64, IMHO.

Back to "real" (3D/DRI) gaming. Try TORCS (Driving Sim w/AI), Open Arena (FPS) and much more.

The line goes that Windows has more games but what they don't tell you is they are expensive. Now every TYPE of game has a representative that works (free and easier to install) with (K)Ubutnu.
    Last edited by Neobuntu; June 17th, 2007 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

Re: N64 Emulator

mupen64 seems to be a favorite around here, works decently well for me

Beans

The last time i checked there were no n64 emulators in the repositories.Well at least you were good enough to reply. But your speach about the classics and newer consoles did little or nothing at all to help me get the best n64 emulator.Thaxs any ways.

Beans

Thanks for the info dfreer .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Neobuntu View Post
    Last time I checked, it (if not two) is in the repositories.
    Other than Kamefu, which appears just to be a KDE frontend for various emulators, they are no nintendo64 emulators in the official repos. Perhaps you meant some unofficial ones, or the SNES or NES systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Neobuntu View Post
    The only reason for doing this is nostalgia. N64 is in between MAME classics and newer consoles.
    With a $20 and up NVidia card, you can beat consoles by a LARGE margin.
    Without DRI (Direct graphics card), many other games are still avaible.
    Have you considered KXMame? Get you classic game on. PacMan, Galaga, Star Wars, Etc. Old style arcade fun. Better than N64, IMHO.
    Back to "real" (3D/DRI) gaming. Try TORCS (Driving Sim w/AI), Open Arena (FPS) and much more.

The line goes that Windows has more games but what they don't tell you is they are expensive. Now every TYPE of game has a representative that works (free and easier to install) with (K)Ubutnu.
    That's your opinion, but I think you'll find a lot of people disagree with you. I like my classic oldschool games as much as anyone else, but there's great games to be had on virtually every system. Look up some of the top lists of the greatest games of all time, you'll find a fairly good showing from (most) every system.

And the linux clone games don't even come close to comparing. I don't mean the original games made for linux, there are some sweet stuff there. I mean the ones that try to copy another great (windows) game, and almost every one of them fall short of the original.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: N64 Emulator

I'm not disagreeing that every major platform has it's good games.

I'm saying it's myth that gaming is not good in Linux.

I'm also saying, if you are a happy with a few good (time consuming) games and of your favorite type, open software will greatly surprise you.

I'm also suggesting you can keep you old Windows, dual boot and play all.

Yet, if you want the simplicity of one system to manage (perhaps after tiring from dual booting and not needing Windows) then with an Nvidia card ($15 and up), you'll have more games (of all classes) than you have time to play. While there are more with Windows, how much more than too much do you need?

Also, one COULD run a Windows OS virtually inside *ubuntu and run Windows games (or just use a WINE derivative for some and via no Windows OS) without dual booting if that is your one system goal. Although I recommend new users just dual boot. It's simple.

Mostly, I am observing very high end and cool graphics games on my very low end (cost) legacy Nvidia card. These games (namely TORCS and Open Arena. Please "Google" them.) do install with ZERO tweaking effort. Get them from the available Kubuntu on-line repositories (fast). Upgrades, new versions and new feature benefits come free with the automatic upgrades. This is SO much nicer than the Windows world. More time to play. LESS hassle!

Did you know that you can type "games" (instead of a package name) in the search box of Kubuntu's "Adept" package manager and it will show you all games (make sure you have all repositories enabled on older releases of Kubuntu).

I think that focus on some poor clone game is misleading. After all, how many Windows games are based on an development open engine? Do not assume some of the limited games that automatically install with a given Linux based distro are representative of what is available or possible. BTW, There are very nice little games that don't need a direct graphics card too. Don't forget the MAME classic the everyone loves. They are not direct graphics and people love them anyway. But the real fun IMHO comes with an NVidia card. I'm talking state of the art games. The AI racers in TORCS will knock you off the road and it all looks real. The amount of tracks and cars to choose is amazing. One day; with regular, automatic, online, total system upgrades, I could then hear wind pass by in TORCS as the racer changed gears and charged ahead. Open Arena keeps me from the bother of getting Elite Force I and II working in Kubuntu. XP was a royal pain in the tail with Elite force and I had to dig deep to get the brightness up in the game and then their are CD key restrictions. Open Arena is not a "Star Trek" game but it's the same class of shooter. I can go on-line and battle real people. It's a blast. We are talking Quake III class games here. I have found open gaming to be less buggy and persnickety. Oh and I haven't mentioned Americas Army (which has a separate installer but works) and is an awesome and elaborate direct 3D game that's free from the Army. That one game right there is more time than I have to play it. (I'm an old fart BTW).

Fraggin' and racing with freedom,
    Neo
    Last edited by Neobuntu; June 29th, 2007 at 10:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OK there are four Nintendo emulators in the reps but perhaps not N64 version.

So you may know a N64 game(s) that's worth it, so go for it. More power to you.

I'm sorry you feel my help is not relevant. Just trying to help (all).

Beans

Mupen64 is actually very good. The only pain I've found with it is having to tinker with plugins that you couldn't possibly understand unless you know how PC graphics actually work. It's been fun for me though. I learnt how to configure text files and stuff for the likes of the audio plugin etc. I didn't especially know what I was doing, but I managed to yield some fairly positive results by just playing with the settings a bit.

I've been running a bit of a Linux emulator begging tour at the moment. I sent a quick email to the chap who created Mupen64, asking him whether the emu is dead or if he plans to update it. Apparently he fully intends to update it when he gets the time, so that's good. In the meantime I'm quite happy with Mupen. It's only a tiny step away from PJ64 on Windows.

I also have posted up on PJ64's comments asking them to consider a Linux port. I think that would be tremendous for Linux.

About the only thing we don't have on Linux really is a decent MAME really. We have ZSNES, and now the lovely Gens package from these very forums....I tried KXMame, but it didn't want to work with my controller. AdvanceMAME is very good but seriously hardcore....Sorry, this has nothing to do with N64 emulation!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Mupen64 is actually very good. The only pain I've found with it is having to tinker with plugins that you couldn't possibly understand unless you know how PC graphics actually work. It's been fun for me though. I learnt how to configure text files and stuff for the likes of the audio plugin etc. I didn't especially know what I was doing, but I managed to yield some fairly positive results by just playing with the settings a bit.

I've been running a bit of a Linux emulator begging tour at the moment. I sent a quick email to the chap who created Mupen64, asking him whether the emu is dead or if he plans to update it. Apparently he fully intends to update it when he gets the time, so that's good. In the meantime I'm quite happy with Mupen. It's only a tiny step away from PJ64 on Windows.

I also have posted up on PJ64's comments asking them to consider a Linux port. I think that would be tremendous for Linux.

About the only thing we don't have on Linux really is a decent MAME really. We have ZSNES, and now the lovely Gens package from these very forums....I tried KXMame, but it didn't want to work with my controller. AdvanceMAME is very good but seriously hardcore....Sorry, this has nothing to do with N64 emulation!
    and an NES emu with a decent GUI lol. although the gfceu guys have come a long way, the problem lies in fceu and not gfceu IMO. ZSNES rocks!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast