Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Genuine Windows is Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Genuine Windows is Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    sometimes, even if you try and use windows update, they accuse your os as being 'apple' lol
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03...re_virtual_pc/

I have experienced that error myself, I was formating a computer the one day and I reinstalled windows ME. when I ran windows update I got that error. I refreshed the page a few times and it recognized windows again.

Beans

I saw this on Slashdot also. I downloaded Windows Defender last week for a client and the active X validation worked with IE6 in Crossover Office.

I guess I have a genuine copy of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mmccune View Post
    I guess I have a genuine copy of Ubuntu.
    I sure hope mine is genuine, wouldn't want the suits arriving...

Beans

Heh! Heh! This thread is on slashdot.

Extreme DANNIS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just hope that Microsoft doesn't actually come after anyone using Ubuntu for licensing fees (HAHAHAH!). On a more serious note, anyone here concerned that this could be, possibly, a sign that there is some file in Wine that is directly copied from a Windows install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: Genuine Windows is Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mig5 View Post
    I just did this for a laugh and didn't expect it to work. I went to microsoft.com using IE4Linux ( http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page ) and tried to download Windows Defender, on Xubuntu. Of course, I was asked to do the Genuine Advantage test. I used the alternate authentication method (IE4Linux doesn't support Active X), downloaded and then ran the genuine advantage application (which took quite a while to start). It gave me a code that I pasted into the authentication box, and to my surprise it verified me and forwarded me to the download page. This just goes to show how rubbish they're validation software is. I thought it was funny though, so I've uploaded a recording of it to rapid share, which you can get here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/37580147/recording.ogg
    (the file is about 10MB, so it might take a while to get)
    What program did you use to create the screencast?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by darundal View Post
    I just hope that Microsoft doesn't actually come after anyone using Ubuntu for licensing fees (HAHAHAH!). On a more serious note, anyone here concerned that this could be, possibly, a sign that there is some file in Wine that is directly copied from a Windows install?
    Your first comment: That actually could be a serious threat to Microsoft. "Don't own a valid Windows? Just get Ubuntu. Guard against viruses on your illegal software!" :O lol that is kind of funny.

Second one: I don't think they used anything from Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

First of all, LMFAO.

Second of all, I believe WINE is all clean room style reverse engineering, which is also what ReactOS uses. Since the code is set to of course never require WGA, the windows EXE might read it as being certified. Of course, it's far more likely that MS has really ****** coding.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

My dad's valid Windows computer goes "I'm pirated!" thanks to WGA. The pirated one never did that The pirated-Windows box now runs Ubuntu though...might have to switch to XFCE though....P2 + GNOME = eehhh

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by bmorency View Post
    I reinstalled windows ME.
    ... must resist urge to say something

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast