Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Genuine Windows is Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Genuine Windows is Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SickTwist View Post
    What program did you use to create the screencast?
    Probably "recordmydesktop".

If you want that with a GUI, --> apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop <--

Pretty funny stuff, mate
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well (as of this writing) I have to say I'm impressed with ubuntuforums.org's web server.

I figure it might have been killed by the Slashdot effect. But then maybe it's just too early....
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Wow. I actually 'lol'ed.

Beans

hmm I tried this recently without any luck, WGA refused to validate me, but then I just copied some files over from my windows pc and from a recent WGA CRACK and I got it to pass. I remember back about a year ago when WGA was newer, when it would validate anything, on an invalid pc all you had to do was set it to compatibility mode, and on wine you didnt need to do anything.

PS: I am impressed that this server is still running after slashdot, but I still definitely notice a slowdown, might be unrelated though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

what screen capture app was that? Istanbul? didn't look like it...
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Onyros View Post
    Probably "recordmydesktop".

If you want that with a GUI, --> apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop <--

Pretty funny stuff, mate
    Uh.....have you ever actually gotten it to WORK? recordmydesktop and instanbul both fail. Istanbul crashes when you click "save" and recordmydesktop...I think the files were unplayable

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Istanbul is horribly inefficient, but it has worked for me. I use recordmydesktop on the CLI or xvidcap. I had no idea that recordmydesktop had a GUI.
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen

Beans

A few months ago I had a Titanic struggle getting WGA to recognize my legally purchased copy of Windows XP as legit. To think I could have done it via Ubuntu...

Yet another thing Linux does better than Windows... download Windows updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SoulinEther View Post
    Your first comment: That actually could be a serious threat to Microsoft. "Don't own a valid Windows? Just get Ubuntu. Guard against viruses on your illegal software!" :O lol that is kind of funny.

Second one: I don't think they used anything from Windows.
    Yeah, they reverse engineer it. However, ReactOS (a project to create an entire free operating system that uses the Windows API, and code from Wine, with a certain amount of code-sharing between projects) went through a major code audit because of allegations that it contained actual code taken from Windows. What I was saying is what if that had happened with Wine. However, in the Slashdot thread, there was a much better and more plausible theory put forth; WGA, if it can't find all the information it wants, is designed to err on the side of caution and just give a valid code signifying a genuine Windows install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Funzo22 View Post
    PS: I am impressed that this server is still running after slashdot, but I still definitely notice a slowdown, might be unrelated though
    No kidding! The ubuntuforums server is still rocking....

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast