Thread: Common Misconceptions About Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Common Misconceptions About Linux

A link to Wikipedia's List of Common Misconceptions came across the front page of reddit.com yesterday, and looking it over (particularly the computing section) I felt that there should be at least a couple mentions about Linux. Just thought I'd give everybody a little heads up about this opportunity to write something useful into the article that would help Linux's image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Common Misconceptions About Linux

Most high end servers use unix/linux, the linux os needs better marketing I agree, but linux as a whole is an awsome system.

---------------- Now playing: Aisha Duo - Despertar via FoxyTunes
    | Corsair Carbide Series® 300R | Intel Core i5 650@3.20Ghz| OCZ-Vertex3 120 Gb SSD | Western Digital 640 Gb HDD | Western Digital 1 Tb HDD |
    |Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 Extreme | Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 | Windows 10 Pro |

Beans

I can think of a few.
    Linux is a hacking tool.
    Linux is illegal/pirated.
    Linux is difficult to use (of course, that's all subject to opinion and distribution).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The biggest misconception of them all is that Linux is an OS. It is not, Linux is a kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Red face Re: Common Misconceptions About Linux

Linux is for nerds/geeks.
    Linux software is made by people in their basement.

old article
    Last edited by Chame_Wizard; December 14th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Chame_Wizard View Post
    Linux is for nerds/geeks.
    Linux software is made by people in their basement.

old article
    Of course, the problem is that programmers in my state don't have basements. Surely you can appreciate how that makes the situation even harder for them.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: Common Misconceptions About Linux

Linux's package management system can install, uninstall, and update software from one interface. Everything installed from Apache to OpenOffice and Quake 4 may be updated with one press. Windows has nothing like this on the road map.
    Long Live Adept package manager.

To top it all off the installation is world class. The Ubuntu installation is done from within a fully functioning environment allowing web browsing, game playing, or or even the writing of a report all as the installation wizard ensures the install goes off not just without a hitch, but in a manor where the user doesn't need to know anything beyond how to click next, unless they want to.
    Live CD all the way.

It's true Linux started at the hands of a single college student, but that's not true today. Linux is now a multi-billion dollar global technology. The vast majority of code is now contributed by professional programmers [26]. Over the last year major code modifications have been submitted by IBM, Intel, Novell, VMware, and countless other big tech players. Beyond actively developing code others, such as Dell, have begun pushing vendors to develop higher quality Linux software [27]. And this isn't even going into the academic or government development, such as the security patch set developed and deployed by the U.S. National Security Agency for internal use, but available to anyone who wishes to use it, SELinux.
    Security for sure.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 What Chame_Wizard quoted and said...
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █