Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ham Radio Op Ubuntuers

Beans

Re: Ham Radio Op Ubuntuers

CQ CQ CQ HI HI
    KC9BZC here, been uning linux sinse late 95 (redhat 5) and get my ticket around 2002 I'm a general now mostly on 40 meters. I try to do digi when i can get it to work, but no money makes it hard now days. oh yeah i'm at EM59DTFQ.

Does any one know of thread for fldigi?

73's
    KC9BZC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wow ! this thread has been dead for awhile, thought I would bring it back up.
    Was searching for psk31 prg that would work with 12.04 or 12.10, finally gor qsstv to work with pulse audio.

73, WD4LKO

Beans

Hi All,

MI6PYN, Foundation License holder from Northern Ireland here.

Mostly active on the local 2M repeater while commuting, will try to get on QRP HF using digimodes soon.

73s and Regards,
    Stefan
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

Call everyone explain the hype with Ham Radio? I know technically what it is but not actually what it is that people use it for these days.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sharing ideas, experimenting, trying do-it-yourself-work, playing with big hardware, having fun, meeting people - not that far away from being a Buntu amateur, I think.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Call everyone explain the hype with Ham Radio? I know technically what it is but not actually what it is that people use it for these days.

Cheers,
    Joe
    HAM radio has been going for yonks! Some people started off on CB and progressed. Others have spoken to astronauts or cosmonauts etc. I think over the years the hobby has become cheaper but you still need to go do your local licenses etc. On top of that they have packet radio service if I'm not mistaken. It's a cool hobby but it takes a special type of person & some money to get involved. they also have competitions to reach like far places etc and it's scientific where you have to take into consideration atmospheric, solar and other conditions. they exchange badges and stuff like that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    HAM radio has been going for yonks! Some people started off on CB and.............
    CBs were really big here before the cellphone became affordable to everyone.
    Bandit was actually my CB handle.. LOL Which is were my U/N came from.
    Not sure I got the room and resources to start up a HAM Radio project but that may be something for me to check in to at a later time.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Sharing ideas, experimenting, trying do-it-yourself-work, playing with big hardware, having fun, meeting people - not that far away from being a Buntu amateur, I think.
    That's about right.

I used to sit in front of several radios all day. Now I sit in front of several PCs all day.

I switched from using a microphone to posting on these forums and using IRC.

G4MBY

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I didn't even realize there was an ubuntu forums thread for ham radio operators...
    I'm Craig WB2YWB...got my novice license in 1965 (was assigned a different class sign) let that lapse then got my General Class ham license in 1966 under my current callsign i gave above...

I had great fun with it in the 60s and 70s but haven't had any ham gear in more recent years...It was great fun and i kind of miss it a lot...

There is a program called Hamsphere which i use now...it's more like "simulated ham radio" but it's a lot of fun and is open to all (hams and non-hams)...they do give a free trial for i think about 2 weeks to try, but after that it's like $30 a year...

The creator of the program has made a simulation which makes you feel you are really on the bands...and there are people all over the world having QSOs (contacts) on there...

It's fun and at least gives me a bit of the old ham radio feel back

The program works on windows/mac/linux
    For mac and linux it is a Jar file...you just download it, go to the file and into permissions to "execute" the file and then left click and open with Java...

One note though...it only works with the licensed oracle java so you need to get that on because it doesn't work with the open source version...

In case you want to check it out: (it's kind of like "virtual ham radio"....lol) There's a mixed group of actual hams, ex-cb operators and short wave listeners)....

http://www.hamsphere.com/

Oh yes...and the easy way to add the licensed oracle java to your ubuntu unstall:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93052
    Last edited by craig10x; June 9th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    CBs were really big here before the cellphone became affordable to everyone.
    Bandit was actually my CB handle.. LOL Which is were my U/N came from.
    Do you know Smokey (aka Buford T. Justice)?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast