Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lehigh Valley People

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lehigh Valley People

I just wanted to get some sense of how many (few?) people there are on here in the Lehigh Valley and surrounding area, and who they are. Maybe we could start playing catch up to Philly - or at least to Harrisburg.

I've been negligent about participating in LVLUG. I didn't realize they had switched their meetings to weekends - I'll try to be better about that. Maybe someone could update us on what they're up to and what we could cooperate with them on.

My wife teaches at a high school in Bethlehem. Before everyone dissipates for the summer, I'd like to talk to their tech person about doing a Software Freedom Day event there for parents and students in September. I've also been talking to some people about doing some sort of weekend computer classes/activities there. Are there people here who would be interested in working on either?

Also, how do you feel about the current division of our region of the state? We're as close to Philly as to Scranton - and there's still a lot more to PA past Scranton. Are oversized divisions a (psychological or physical) barrier to organization and activity? Could that also be affecting Western PA?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Lehigh Valley People

Quote Originally Posted by iqag1060 View Post
    Are oversized divisions a (psychological or physical) barrier to organization and activity? Could that also be affecting Western PA?
    That's entirely possible, but I think part of the problem is that we haven't made clear enough that anyone can create a regional subset of the PA group.

We tried to divide the state up into logical groups, but it really needs to be up to the people who live in those areas to say "I'm too far from Scranton and Philly - I'll make another subgroup" and then take charge of it. It's difficult for those of us not familiar with the areas to make such decisions.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth View Post
    We tried to divide the state up into logical groups, but it really needs to be up to the people who live in those areas to say "I'm too far from Scranton and Philly - I'll make another subgroup" and then take charge of it. It's difficult for those of us not familiar with the areas to make such decisions.
    I completely understand and appreciate that. I was hoping this thread might spark some collective brainstorming into how to activate these areas. My personal opinion is that regional subteams (at this stage) are not as important as local activities which can grow organically into teams. I personally have no problem going to Philly, Harrisburg, or Scranton (or NY/NJ) when possible, but I wouldn't want people in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to feel obliged to come to events in Allentown or Bethlehem because of the team structure.

So, it could turn into regrouping or sub-sub-teams or something else, but first we need some movement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Awesome!

This is how it all starts. Let's keep the conversation going and I am sure that the Lehigh Valley will pull something together.

From our experience in the philly area it has been word of mouth via the local lugs that resourced the regional sub-team.

Kevin, Randy, Ben, Chris F., and myself from Pacs and Alex, Andrew, and Lyz from PLUG and its offshoots.

There was probably a 2 month process to get to the first event meeting. But it eventually happened and now it seems to be rolling along.

Good luck, and if you need any assistance just give a shout and we'll see what we can throw together.
    Last edited by jedijf; August 2nd, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

up in the Stroudsburg area. could lend a hand although i am home about 15% of the time... typical northern NJ commuter - but willing to learn and help...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Initially those divisions were used to determine where we had members, and they kinda stuck.

We need discussions like this, because then people from specific areas start talking, networking, and then things happen!
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Im from Canton Pa, not sure how to join the team but id like to help if I can

Beans

https://launchpad.net/%7Epennsylvania/+join/ is the official link to join. You may also want to sign up for the mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-us-pa, hang out with us in irc on irc.freenode.net, #ubuntu-pennsylvania, and discuss things on the forums! Welcome to the team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Welcome,

I was surprised that http://epodunk.com/ actually had three Cantons in Pennsylvania!

The Bradford County borough was the one that I was somewhat familiar with. Geographically we are probably the closest. We have a small group in Susquehanna County and so far have done one Software Freedom Day and one Ubuntu Release Party. A second Software Freedom Day is planned for this September although it is still in the talking stage.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm located in Kulpmont, Northumberland County.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast