View Poll Results: Will Linus go to bed with Sun?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 38.89%
  • No

44 61.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Reaches Out to Linus - will he go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sun Reaches Out to Linus - will he go?

Got this in my inbox today from Linux Magazine:

<snip>
    It seems these days more and more vendors have a vested interest in Linux. Microsoft recently hired away Tom Hanrahan from the Linux Foundation to head up its Linux interoperability efforts. Prior to that, Sun hired Ian Murdock, creator of Debian, for the newly created position of Chief Operating Officer, focusing on Solaris.

And now Sun is again reaching out to the Linux community, this time with an open letter from CEO Jonathan Schwartz to Linux Torvalds inviting him to consider both dinner and an "An OpenSolaris/Linux Mashup." Jonathan's suggestion is an excellent one, if a bit complex since some of the technology that makes Solaris unique isn't openly available.
    </snip>

I've not really been in the game long enough to know what this could/does mean. Is it posturing, or do you all think it's a sign of things to come?

Link to the Source

I wouldn't expect to see Linus take the job offer... Dinner perhaps! Though a free meal may not be worth the pressure that will come with it.
    Last edited by southernman; June 15th, 2007 at 04:33 AM.
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Sun Reaches Out to Linus - will he go?

If you read the book Just For Fun you would know Mr. Torvald's relationship with Sun isn't exactly hugs and kisses
    "Do you have any gold pieces? I want to use all your gold pieces...
    AT THE GAY TAVERN ! GAY TAVERN!"
    -- Dover McPunhcie, Maleficus Smythe, and Cornellius Dastardly
    (This is why i love D&D)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bleh, I dunno what to make of it. I doubt it's gonna happen less Sun does something really nice like put zfs under gpl... Anyway, Linus will do whatever he likes... I don't think anyone here can read his mind, can they?

Beans
    Distro

Just reading the description of the book at thinkgeek, makes my mouth water. Going to order it now!

Thanks for the tip.
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post
    I don't think anyone here can read his mind, can they?
    No sir, they can not. Just looking for others opinions as to what they (you) think may happen. That's all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, I trust Sun Microsystems way more than I trust Microsoft.
    To see interoperability between Solaris, and Linux...that'd be something. I'm especially excited about their Looking Glass interface.
    All in all, Sun makes Java. And if this could be better integrated into Linux, that'd make for a very exceptional piece of software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

well in any case.. java works loads faster on linux than it does on windows.
    Oneiric+Unity 3.0.0-12

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    ...An OpenSolaris/Linux Mashup...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It seems good, considering the neat stuff sun has come up with lately. I would love to have zfs on linux, with a damn good gui to make it's features useful for the "resta of us". Better yet Having two really good open source kernels(opensolaris) to run everything else on top of would be interesting at the least. From what I understand Sun has crappy driver support in comparison to linux so a mashup would have benefits for both communities. What other tech does sun have that would be beneficial to linux and Desktop Gnu/whatever?

I'm not to informed regarding the politics, or legal issues, but if it could be done in a way that helps both opensolaris and linux I say "meaux better".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by n0dl View Post
    If you read the book Just For Fun you would know Mr. Torvald's relationship with Sun isn't exactly hugs and kisses
    Money has a way of healing differences.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast