Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Bye Ubuntu

I agree that Ubuntu, and indeed other distros, have a bit to go before they can really compete with Windows. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Ubuntu to Windows, but I do find myself having to revert to the command line a fair bit, and hack config files and what not.

When you can do nearly everything from a GUI like in Windows (and that is not so far off), then maybe it will be taken much more seriously as a desk top OS (let us not forget it has been THE server OS for quite some time).

Beans

yeah i have to agree i like linux though but because the lack of professional software i am unable to work on it. It's fun to play with but i wouldn't trade my windows for it.

Beans

LOL, sorry about the brief message before.

Ok, heres the deal.....i do not hate Ubuntu nor am i talking down on the Ubuntu project at all. I think the OS functions well, isnt all that difficult to learn and works for most computing applications for the normal PC user.

I will list my gripes with Ubuntu below.....

- No Photoshop or alot of other much needed windows programs
    - WINE is terrible
    - No Gaming
    - The terminal is an archeaic process to do things
    - Crappy 2nd rate linux programs that try to copy Windows programs
    - Webcam issues
    - DVD burning issues
    - Microphone issues

I can sit here all day and list things that i dont like but i have a fresh copy of XP here waiting to be bombarded with all the stuff ive been missing while i was giving myself headaches in linux.

I will always monitor Ubuntu to see how it develops, maybe one day ill try it again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by socomoddjob View Post
    This one really cracks me up

Beans

When MS do it, it's a powerful advancement in computing technology.

We'll miss you.
    We really will.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So you miss stuff like photoshop and games, thats fair enough, I think most polls say thats what most Linux users wish they could get.

I think when using Linux you do resort to the command line more often but not because you're forced to - but because there is so much more you can do with linux - i'd feel i wasn't taking full advantage of it if I didn't try to totally customise every thing and stuff. Also the command line is so much more powerful than in windows it actually makes you enjoy using it (Ok maybe i'm a bit odd but using the command line gives me a sense of satisfaction i don't get from clicking stuff and it usually works out faster). To do every day stuff you need never touch it though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

- No Photoshop or alot of other much needed windows programs
    i don't use a lot of graphics, but isn't gimp/inkscape as powerful as, if not more so than, photoshop?
    - WINE is terrible
    i completely agree here
    but sometimes the most straight-forward...
    - Crappy 2nd rate linux programs that try to copy Windows programs
    such as?
    I can sit here all day and list things that i dont like but i have a fresh copy of XP here waiting to be bombarded with all the stuff ive been missing while i was giving myself headaches in linux.
    that's very linux of you: finding a program/environment/os which suits what you need and using it!
    I will always monitor Ubuntu to see how it develops, maybe one day ill try it again.
    good to hear; i hope to see you back soon!
    Asus EeePC 1005HA: ElementaryOS Luna | Asus X501A: Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 Utopic Unicorn | Apple iMac G4: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | LG Optimus F3: Stock v7 | Nexus 10 Cyanogenmod 11

Anonii is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

"- WINE is terrible"

WINE, sir, is an application masterpiece. There are not many apps, commercial or not, that can achieve what WINE does. For me, WINE runs Fallout, Starcraft, Photoshop and WoW greatly.

"- The terminal is an archeaic process to do things"

It's not an archeaic way to do things, it's the classic and best performance-wise way of doing things. You may not like it, and I understand that, but believe me, terminal apps give you the speed, the stability and the safety that no GUI apps give. One million sysadmins can't be wrong

"- Microphone issues"
    "- Webcam issues"

I don't deny this. But I still see no threads of you describing your problems.

"- DVD burning issues"

DVD burning has no problems in Linux. I still don't see your threads or bug reports, tho.

"- Crappy 2nd rate linux programs that try to copy Windows programs"

I have a feeling that you mean GIMP and I completely disagree.

"- No Gaming"

I agree.

"- No Photoshop or alot of other much needed windows programs"

This problem has to do with Linux not beeing Windows. But well, there are countless "crappy 2nd rate linux programs that try to copy Windows programs", and you can use one of them.

Finally, it's funny seeing your first thread beeing "Bye Bye Windows" and your last one beeing "Bye Ubuntu"

Goodbye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello Ubuntu!!

He,
    Maybe Linux it's not good for gaming but for the rest I totally disagree with you. I'm new too on Ubuntu and unfortunately had a lot of problems too but I always be able to solve my problem with this forum. And, when I think of my first time with Windows I think it was really more painful.

I never had difficulties to find out my programs. I install mathematica without any problems . In my mind, open office it's much more efficient than Ms Word, and even in windows I use exclusively OOO. I worked a lot with photoshop and Gimp can do easily what photoshop did for me in my MS time.

Strangely, the only software I have a problem with is called BlueJ ( It's a software to code in java). But I'm shure that whene I'll past one hour on it I'll have it on install properly.

Anyway, good lock in your MS future

Beans

Ill end my thread with this last statement....

"Windows is like an old girlfriend....not someone you really want to be with but definitely gives a good bj."

Page 51 of 145 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast