Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1445

Thread: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Beans

Re: Sorry Linux, it’s just not working out

I have played with Mac, Xp, and Linux for awhile now. Take note, I said played. Each operating system has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. My Mac G4 is a sweetheart machine, for being 7 years old, it is fault free for the most part. My three Xp machines one of which serves as a HTPC are fine but you can't get over the big brother syndrome. My Linux box has been more fun than anything since the DOS days. I have watched it grow from my first trial with Suse to my present adventure with Ubuntu 7.4. Ubuntu is clearly the best flavor or Linux I have tried. I hated the concept of fighting to get a program installed. I still do but you can feel it with Ubuntu, they know how we typical desk top users are - point and click. That's how Microsoft took the lead. Remember the DOS days when you had to put the commands in one line at a time? Redmond figured it out. Most of are not that patient so along came Windows. Over the years I've had many late nights trying to get around some Windows issue. There are also issues with Linux. Somehow, the Mac has never presented an issue. So strange.

Anyway, Linux is growing into a mature operating system. Linux 7.4 is one sweet OS. Granted, it is not Windows and it is not Mac but neither of those boxes were free. I would love to see Ubuntu loaded up with all of the vendor support that Xp has. I would also be willing to pay for that. If that day ever comes, where Ubuntu is fully supported as Xp is today and Mac to some extent, then the average home user will have three options for an OS.

As we know, Mac now runs Xp. Don't get me wrong, Xp is not that great it is just better supported because of the numbers of users.

You folks at Ubuntu are doing a incredible job. Your OS is becoming more and more polished with each new release. I am watching, and using your OS. Keep up the great work.

There is no reason for any person to give up on a first try, or second, or third, etc. I have numerous holes in my walls where beige boxes went through them. But I always picked up the pieces and tried again. Linux Ubuntu 64 bit works just fine when you get it installed.

Maco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    Remember the DOS days when you had to put the commands in one line at a time? Redmond figured it out. Most of are not that patient so along came Windows
    Actually, there were GUI-based systems years before the first Windows came out. MacOS had been around before, Atari ST computers used GEM already in 1984/5 (I ran one of those -- the switch from GEM to Windows was painful), the Amiga also predates Windows and had a graphical, mouse-driven user interface. MS just picked up the trend, and then became the market force they are now with OEM, bundling contracts, and so on. OS/2 was an arguably better operating system, but the marketing was the pits ... it was also too advanced/hardware demanding for its time.

I thought XP was a pretty good end-user OS, though. Like all Windows versions it eventually suffocates itself, but when I used it, it gave me few problems. I solely use Linux now, and I'm happy as a kitten with the amount of choice, the freedom, control over the system, the snappiness and the community. It offers just about everything I want from an OS, and Ubuntu is a particularly friendly distro.

Beans

A lot of people in this thread need to get over themselves.
    Michael

Beans

The OP was right, the linux fanboys are going to have a fit over this...

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

I'm popping in to say that I'm brand new to Unbuntu (you could measure my total use/exposure in hours) and I'm loving it. My plan to escape out from under WinXP is almost complete...

Too make things a little easier on the first-time Ubuntu-user/Windows-drone transition-er, though, I'd like to offer some simple suggestions that would really help me, and many, many just like me I'm sure, get through this often rocky transitional period. I feel confident none of these suggestions represent anything the Ubuntu Community couldn't implement quickly and easily in an effort to make soon-to-be ex-Windows users more comfortable! To wit:

1. First and foremost, Ubunutu boots up/restarts WAAAY too fast. Can't you guyz do something so it boots up... nice... and... slow? You know, more like Windows? Maybe, so that over a period of time, as I have time to adjust to Ubuntu, the boot times would decrease. But please, imperceptible increments!

2. Could you please integrate some a feature where the n00b Ubuntu user receives an "Abort, Cancel, Retry" dialog box that freezes the entire system until responded to? Any response would carry a random chance of causing a spontaneous restart, of course. These too would help me feel more comfortable as I transition over from Windows. Like #1, these should be more frequent at the start but, over days and weeks, slowly taper off as I adjust to the stability of Ubuntu.

3. Forum posters here and on other Ubuntu-support sites need to stop giving simple, direct answers when I do run into a problem. Posting the command line I need, linking me directly to Envy to install my nVidia driver... This has to stop. Seriously. You're freaking me out, mmmmmkay?? You all really need to get crackin' and learn to say things like...

"Try this... It might help."
    "Reboot your system."
    "Sounds like a virus, but it could a conflict in the Device Manager or an IRQ conflict. Check those."
    "Reboot your system."
    "I knew a guy who had this same problem and he had to R&R (Reformat and Reinstall)..."
    "Reboot your system."
    "Have you tried updating your antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall, and spam blocker applications and run full scans?"
    "Reboot your system."
    "When did you last reboot your system?"

As you can see, none of these ideas are complicated and if implemented ASAP, I think, would really help people get through the difficult transitional period from Windows to Linux.

Feel free to take any (or all!) of these suggestions, and run with them!!

Deepest regards,
    ~ Therion

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    I'm popping in to say that I'm brand new to Unbuntu (you could measure my total use/exposure in hours) and I'm loving it. My plan to escape out from under WinXP is almost complete...

Too make things a little easier on the first-time Ubuntu-user/Windows-drone transition-er, though, I'd like to offer some simple suggestions that would really help me, and many, many just like me I'm sure, get through this often rocky transitional period. I feel confident none of these suggestions represent anything the Ubuntu Community couldn't implement quickly and easily in an effort to make soon-to-be ex-Windows users more comfortable! To wit:

1. First and foremost, Ubunutu boots up/restarts WAAAY too fast. Can't you guyz do something so it boots up... nice... and... slow? You know, more like Windows? Maybe, so that over a period of time, as I have time to adjust to Ubuntu, the boot times would decrease. But please, imperceptible increments!

2. Could you please integrate some a feature where the n00b Ubuntu user receives an "Abort, Cancel, Retry" dialog box that freezes the entire system until responded to? Any response would carry a random chance of causing a spontaneous restart, of course. These too would help me feel more comfortable as I transition over from Windows. Like #1, these should be more frequent at the start but, over days and weeks, slowly taper off as I adjust to the stability of Ubuntu.

3. Forum posters here and on other Ubuntu-support sites need to stop giving simple, direct answers when I do run into a problem. Posting the command line I need, linking me directly to Envy to install my nVidia driver... This has to stop. Seriously. You're freaking me out, mmmmmkay?? You all really need to get crackin' and learn to say things like...

"Try this... It might help."
    "Reboot your system."
    "Sounds like a virus, but it could a conflict in the Device Manager or an IRQ conflict. Check those."
    "Reboot your system."
    "I knew a guy who had this same problem and he had to R&R (Reformat and Reinstall)..."
    "Reboot your system."
    "Have you tried updating your antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall, and spam blocker applications and run full scans?"
    "Reboot your system."
    "When did you last reboot your system?"

As you can see, none of these ideas are complicated and if implemented ASAP, I think, would really help people get through the difficult transitional period from Windows to Linux.

Feel free to take any (or all!) of these suggestions, and run with them!!

Deepest regards,
    ~ Therion
    Congratulations, you're well on your way to becoming one of the many Windows bashers on this forum.
    Last edited by sidamo; October 8th, 2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: punctuation

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sidamo View Post

Congratulations, you're well on your way to becoming one of the many Windows bashers on this forum.
    Dude, it's called a Sense of Humor.

Look into getting one, maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No see if you laugh at Windows it is apparently called bashing. And you must be careful because there are windows lovers in the woodwork around here lol .
    Windows vs. Linux, what you mean there's a doubt?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sidamo View Post
    I thought that was a compliment

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbaerbock View Post

No see if you laugh at Windows it is apparently called bashing. And you must be careful because there are windows lovers in the woodwork around here lol .
    Thank you for the clarification!

Just so there are no hard feelings, let me state for the record: I don't hate Windows. Really.

That being said, Sid'; are you saying Windows boots as fast, or faster, than Ubuntu, even assuming clean, fresh installs for each? Have you NEVER had an "Abort, Cancel, Retry" dialog box? And find me a Windows user who hasn't gotten an answer similar to the one's I listed, and I'll point out a brand new Windows user to you. Not too mention that I myself still AM a Windows user. See, that's where the whole "humor" thing comes in to play... Clever, huh?

No harm intended and I certainly thought the general tone of my post was indicative of it's "tongue-in-cheek" nature. No problem though, I'll 'check' my sense o' humor at the login screen.

Page 101 of 145 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast