Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 213

Thread: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    17

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    Hi guys,

    is there anyway to fix this susped/hibernate issue for Gutsy Gibbon?
    After a recent update suspend/hibernate just stopped working.
    And the tips given above are all for Feisty,so i cannot use them.

    any ideas?

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    809

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by samuraiche View Post
    Hi guys,

    is there anyway to fix this susped/hibernate issue for Gutsy Gibbon?
    After a recent update suspend/hibernate just stopped working.
    And the tips given above are all for Feisty,so i cannot use them.

    any ideas?
    Are you sure you can't use them just because they're for feisty? Are you sure that the suspend/hibernate setup has changed so dramatically between feisty and gutsy? Not saying it hasn't, but I'd be surprised if there was nothing you could use from this thread.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    17

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    Are you sure you can't use them just because they're for feisty? Are you sure that the suspend/hibernate setup has changed so dramatically between feisty and gutsy? Not saying it hasn't, but I'd be surprised if there was nothing you could use from this thread.
    Hi,

    well, ive tried to install uswsusp and after installation i got a windows with a checkbox in it and that was something about the swap partition.....after that I removed that package and installed it from console:sudo apt-get install uswsusp. I could install it but after installation commands like s2ram were not recognized. That 's the first issue.And I noticed that after previously upgrade to kernel 2.6.22-14 my suspend fails...but if i load to kernel 2.6.20-16...then it works fine...so yeah...that's it

    cheers

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Beans
    925
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    About s2ram and Gutsy: a simple check
    Code:
    dpkg -L uswsusp
    on Gutsy confirms that /sbin/s2disk and /sbin/s2both exist, but /sbin/s2ram does not.

    Does anyone know what is going on? Was there a bug filed?

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    1,171

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    Didn't "s2both" wind up replacing "s2ram"? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. What happens if you run s2both? Does it hibernate or suspend? If it suspends and you really wanna use s2ram, then create a link!

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Beans
    17

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    With this command dpkg -L uswsusp i get this output:
    /.
    /etc
    /usr
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/uswsusp
    /usr/lib/uswsusp/resume
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/uswsusp
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount/uswsusp
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/uswsusp
    /usr/share/lintian
    /usr/share/lintian/overrides
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/HOWTO.gz
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/TODO
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian-source
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.s2ram-whitelist.gz
    /usr/share/man
    /usr/share/man/man8
    /usr/share/man/man8/suspend-keygen.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/swap-offset.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/s2disk.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/uswsusp.conf.8.gz
    /sbin
    /sbin/s2disk
    /sbin/s2both

    /sbin/swap-offset
    /sbin/suspend-keygen
    /usr/share/man/man8/resume.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/s2both.8.gz


    so s2disk and s2both are there but if i try
    $ sudo s2both or s2disk i get this message:
    s2both: Could not stat the resume device file. Reason: No such file or directory

    I thougt that is has smthg to do with my swap partion which is 2GB,coz I have 2gb ram..
    I've also tried swapoff and swapon but it doesn't change anything

    thnx

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    3

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by samuraiche View Post
    With this command dpkg -L uswsusp i get this output:
    /.
    /etc
    /usr
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/lib
    /usr/lib/uswsusp
    /usr/lib/uswsusp/resume
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/uswsusp
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount/uswsusp
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d
    /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/uswsusp
    /usr/share/lintian
    /usr/share/lintian/overrides
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/changelog.gz
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/HOWTO.gz
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/TODO
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian-source
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.s2ram-whitelist.gz
    /usr/share/man
    /usr/share/man/man8
    /usr/share/man/man8/suspend-keygen.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/swap-offset.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/s2disk.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/uswsusp.conf.8.gz
    /sbin
    /sbin/s2disk
    /sbin/s2both

    /sbin/swap-offset
    /sbin/suspend-keygen
    /usr/share/man/man8/resume.8.gz
    /usr/share/man/man8/s2both.8.gz


    so s2disk and s2both are there but if i try
    $ sudo s2both or s2disk i get this message:
    s2both: Could not stat the resume device file. Reason: No such file or directory

    I thougt that is has smthg to do with my swap partion which is 2GB,coz I have 2gb ram..
    I've also tried swapoff and swapon but it doesn't change anything

    thnx
    I know this isn't very helpful but you are not alone ... I have all of the problems you have been having. Hibernate worked with 2.6.20-16, but doesn't with 2.6.22-?? (anything up to and including 14).

    I have also had the same errors trying to get uswsusp working ... I'll let you know if I figure it out.

    I'm using an Inspiron 9400...

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    795

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    Im running gutsy and am also having the problem where s2ram is not a recognized command giving terminal output "command not found"

    s2disk works great and i have set it as the default with this howto.

    does anyone know what happened in gutsy to make the s2ram command disappear?

    cheers

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    86

    Angry Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    On machines with ATI cards, neither suspend nor hibernate (out of the box or S2Disk/S2Both) work with the current version of gutsy. An incompatibility with the ATI driver is rumored to be the culprit, and it's theoretically ATI's responsibility to fix it.

    So, we with ATI cards are stuck without any working suspend for now.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

    I've just installed gutsy (7.10RC) and have not yet added uswsusp. After just 2 days, my suspend has worked about 8 times, but 2 other times, it rebooted. So far, hibernate has worked ok. I'm not sure if I need uswsusp yet. I want to try to see I can tweek suspend to get it to work all the time.

    does anyone know what happened in gutsy to make the s2ram command disappear?
    If you check the /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/changelog.Debian.gz, you'll see this:

    Code:
    uswsusp (0.6~cvs20070618-1ubuntu2) gutsy; urgency=low
    
      * Don't build s2ram. It's not sensible on Ubuntu. 
    
     -- Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>  Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:47:18 +0100
    I think s2ram was removed because s2both was designed to replace it. s2both copies the program info into your swap space, just like s2disk, and then is supposed to suspend to RAM (like the old s2ram). The idea is that if your laptop battery goes dead in a suspend to RAM period, you could still recover when you next plug in and boot up, because the s2both saved the image in your swap space too.

    What does "man s2both" show. If it's the replacement for s2ram, then you should be able to experiment with it and get it going.
    Last edited by Paul S; October 16th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •